daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #4861
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
yes...
Damn...you beat me to it.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4862
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
.......the corner beams are slanting towards each other... just like in the render above^
I don't see it man. I only see one slanting towards the other one that is straight.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4863
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

BTW are they holding back putting steel beams on the north side of the site? Or are they not planning to put steel beam on the north side. (right side on webcam)
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #4864
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I don't see it man. I only see one slanting towards the other one that is straight.
Both of the beams on the corner are slanting towards each other. You can see it better in the pic below. When you extend the beams, they will cross at a point.

Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4865
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

They're pouring concrete now, Like I guessed, by the east side of the site (bottom left corner from webcam)
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #4866
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

posted by NYguy on SSP:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--utc-freedomtower0611jun11,0,6800938.story[/url]

UTC Power to supply fuel cells for Freedom Tower

June 11, 2008

SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. (AP) _ A skyscraper planned for the site of the World Trade Center will use an alternative energy source to supply some of the power at the massive complex.

UTC Power, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., will supply 12 fuel cells totaling 4.8 megawatts for the Freedom Tower and three other buildings at the lower Manhattan site. It's among the largest fuel cell installations in the world, according to UTC Power and the New York Power Authority.

The amount of megawatts is equivalent to the power used by up to 4,800 homes, said Michael Saltzman, spokesman for the New York Power Authority, which made the deal with UTC Power.

Delivery of the fuel cell systems, valued at $10.6 million, is set to begin in January.

"We are extremely pleased to be part of this prestigious, landmark project that is a global example of green building design," Jan van Dokkum, president of South Windsor-based UTC Power, said in a statement Wednesday.

The technology draws energy from a chemical reaction when hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water.

The Freedom Tower, which is scheduled to open in 2012, will be owned by the Port Authority of New York and Towers 2, 3 and 4 will be owned and managed by World Trade Center Properties LLC.

UTC Power said the fuel cell it will use for the Freedom Tower has double the operating life and delivers twice the power and thermal energy of its previous system. Onsite power generation at the site also will help reduce the need to upgrade electric infrastructure and does not contribute to air pollution.

New York Gov. David Paterson hailed the use of the alternative technology for the rebuilt site.

"I can think of few sites in the country where the symbolism of this is more important," he said in a statement.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #4867
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Can someone send me floor plannings of the each foundation floors of Freedom tower? Because I couldn't find any. I'm guessing there aren't much space in the foundation floors of the freedom tower, because so far I never seen single concrete column go up in the foundation process.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #4868
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Can someone send me floor plannings of the each foundation floors of Freedom tower? Because I couldn't find any. I'm guessing there aren't much space in the foundation floors of the freedom tower, because so far I never seen single concrete column go up in the foundation process.
i doubt anyone has floor plans for this building.. unless they found it in dumpster.

and yes, they're building the basement floors and yes there are concrete columns
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4869
edward77x
Locrio de Arenque

Likes (Received): 0

Yes? Why is it ok?
edward77x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4870
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward77x View Post
Yes? Why is it ok?

What r u on about mate?
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #4871
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Am I the only one or does someone else see a potential problem with having a large quantity of hydrogen which is extremely explosive in this complex? I'm sure security will be tight and the storage tanks very solid but just the fact that a large quantity of an explosive gas is going to be stored here certainly sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I applaud the idea of green energy for the buildings but let's also take other issues into account.
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #4872
mattbennett13590
going to be an Engineer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
posted by NYguy on SSP:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--utc-freedomtower0611jun11,0,6800938.story[/url]

UTC Power to supply fuel cells for Freedom Tower

June 11, 2008

SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. (AP) _ A skyscraper planned for the site of the World Trade Center will use an alternative energy source to supply some of the power at the massive complex.

UTC Power, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., will supply 12 fuel cells totaling 4.8 megawatts for the Freedom Tower and three other buildings at the lower Manhattan site. It's among the largest fuel cell installations in the world, according to UTC Power and the New York Power Authority.

The amount of megawatts is equivalent to the power used by up to 4,800 homes, said Michael Saltzman, spokesman for the New York Power Authority, which made the deal with UTC Power.

Delivery of the fuel cell systems, valued at $10.6 million, is set to begin in January.

"We are extremely pleased to be part of this prestigious, landmark project that is a global example of green building design," Jan van Dokkum, president of South Windsor-based UTC Power, said in a statement Wednesday.

The technology draws energy from a chemical reaction when hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water.

The Freedom Tower, which is scheduled to open in 2012, will be owned by the Port Authority of New York and Towers 2, 3 and 4 will be owned and managed by World Trade Center Properties LLC.

UTC Power said the fuel cell it will use for the Freedom Tower has double the operating life and delivers twice the power and thermal energy of its previous system. Onsite power generation at the site also will help reduce the need to upgrade electric infrastructure and does not contribute to air pollution.

New York Gov. David Paterson hailed the use of the alternative technology for the rebuilt site.

"I can think of few sites in the country where the symbolism of this is more important," he said in a statement.
Where do they get the electricity to make the hydrogen with? (the hydrogen comes from water)
It takes the same amount of energy, plus any inefficiencies to make hydrogen as you can get out of it.
One advantage is that it doesn't need to be connected to the US national grid, ( or however it works, I'm from NZ),
so the WTC has power even if the rest of NYC doesn't.
(wasn't there a massive power cut a couple of years ago?)
The Freedom Tower is going to look great.
When it finishes, I hope I get a chance to go visit it when it does.
(just a thought, is it rising faster than a bacterium? because it is slower than a snail)
mattbennett13590 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #4873
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Good news w/ the fuel cells. Call it whatever bull you guys want, but the Freedom Tower WILL be topped out (the last piece of steel erected on floor 106+ or whatever it is) somewhere in the year 2011( perhaps even before that), so who cares how fast they build. It will be at least 30/40 floors tall in the year 2010. It is the same size in the skyline as the old buildings and with the new WTC Towers everything will be MUCH better than before. This office skyscraper project is matchless. What takes long is not the skyscraper to be erected, but everything like the facade and guts to be built, which is why imbeciles see a 2013 finish date and think it will never be done or will take forever. Here in reality it is perfectly on time. There really is no or will be no hole shortly.

By the way, someone I know w/ the project mentioned that T2 may get a height increase too ('to equal out the skyline')..... I'll check with him later and hope he doesn't laugh at me. I am sure it was a joke, but with the T3 stuff, you can never be sure till the media spreads it like herpes.

Last edited by Ebola; June 13th, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #4874
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

What is the steel structure that seems to be getting built in West St right near where the pedestrian undercrossing will go? Some sort of covered access ramp or something?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #4875
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

June 11th By NYguy, SSP:

15.[/b]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4876
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

This is a fantastic and a huge update. Thanks for finding them ZZ-II.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4877
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

Goods photos
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #4878
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Good to see columns rise above ground level.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4879
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

"Good idea" to name all the pictures "large.jpg"
(NYguy - do you name all your children- kid?)

ZZ-II thanks for the post (I know you did not name the pictures)

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #4880
tacall
Out

Likes (Received): 1857

i will love that tower good update!!

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center