daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #48941
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'll post this again to give people a better idea.

Anyone have any idea what the sf costs will be?

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #48942
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5599

Geez the building is AMAZING, but I still can't get over that spire
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM   #48943
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #48944
esb_ny

Likes (Received): 60

Good God the endless harping on about the spire is so frustrating. Its on the building it cant be changed! GET OVER IT!!! :@

Back to topic, when are the guy wires finished and pulled into place and the crane down?
esb_ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #48945
jmatero

Likes (Received): 64

Seriously. All this white spire talk on a building 100 yards from salt water. I'm a NYr currently living in the SF Bay Area and I can tell you that within 2-4 weeks of painting the Golden Gate Bridge...it already needs to be repainted.
jmatero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM   #48946
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb_ny View Post
Good God the endless harping on about the spire is so frustrating. Its on the building it cant be changed! GET OVER IT!!! :@

Back to topic, when are the guy wires finished and pulled into place and the crane down?
Frustrating is also to read always the same questions(just go a few threads back).
You have to understand people who complaint:they wait for twelve years and according to the cost of the tower they legitimately expect the best.
If you don't know......$4billions!!.......Burg Kalifa....$1.5 billion
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM   #48947
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Just dug it up that Condé Nast will have floors 20 through 44, which are of course the bottom office floors. So hopefully the huge section of the hoist from floor 45 to the roof will go away soon and that area get cladded shortly afterwards.
If they removed the lower elevators,how would they get stuff to the upper floors?
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM   #48948
esb_ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockai View Post
Frustrating is also to read always the same questions(just go a few threads back).
You have to understand people who complaint:they wait for twelve years and according to the cost of the tower they legitimately expect the best.
If you don't know......$4billions!!.......Burg Kalifa....$1.5 billion

Ok I can I just say I have viewed this thread as an observer from its conception and would never post unless I thought it would be for just reason. The reason I posted was because the previous poster who had given the timescales had said and I quote that it may be "WAY off". Because of this I was looking for a second opinion as previous posters had questioned when the guy wires will be pulled into place as they are slack. Like I said I have viewed this thread for a long time, reading nearly every page (in fact read every page on the Supertalls World Cup- and as you know that was a long time ago). I have only decided that my knowledge is good enough to warrant posting and taking part actively in this forum.

Secondly the frustration over the spire is shared by both the people who like the new design and the people who don't. The original renders were changed long ago, the time to debate it was then- not now. Its extremely disrespectful to the workers (who have worked damned hard on this building) to continue to quarrel over the past instead of looking toward the future and the great work being done with the EXISTING SPIRE, and this magnificent buildings rightful place in the skyscraper world.

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:19 PM   #48949
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

wrong forum but,by the way,the crane at 3wtc is activeimage hosted on flickr

Last edited by wtcforever; August 1st, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM   #48950
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Seriously. All this white spire talk on a building 100 yards from salt water. I'm a NYr currently living in the SF Bay Area and I can tell you that within 2-4 weeks of painting the Golden Gate Bridge...it already needs to be repainted.
when winter comes,there will be huge blocks of ice falling from the spire,if one of those hits and kills someone.their families will sue durst for more than the spire radome was worth.An epic failure on your part durst.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #48951
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:

It's an open message board. About skyscrapers. The whole point is engage in commentary about architecture. Get over it.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #48952
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

I promise I'm not picking on you, I just saw this one after my last post.
Quote:
The original renders were changed long ago, the time to debate it was then- not now.
It was debated. It was contentious then and will remain so. That's part of differing tastes. I appreciate hearing divergent opinions because often thats the only way to learn something new and understand others.

Quote:
Its extremely disrespectful to the workers (who have worked damned hard on this building) to continue to quarrel over the past instead of looking toward the future and the great work being done with the EXISTING SPIRE, and this magnificent buildings rightful place in the skyscraper world.
Disagree. The comments have nothing to do with the workers, cause they didn't influence the design. The critique about architecture is more about the decision makers and how they chose the final concepts.

And people debate finished work all the time, from the Burj Khalifa to St. Peter's Basillica. Again, that's how we learn and grow. So long as the commentary isn't personal, of course: Just because I don't like a design doesn't mean I'm affronted by the designer.

Cheers.

Mockai liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #48953
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
when winter comes,there will be huge blocks of ice falling from the spire,if one of those hits and kills someone.their families will sue durst for more than the spire radome was worth.An epic failure on your part durst.
??? a) Wouldn't that stuff fall onto the roof? b) If it's capable of blowing off well then surely there are other elements on this and other buildings capable of the same problem? NYC has plenty of roof top antennae, satellite dishes, arrays...
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:41 PM   #48954
esb_ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
It's an open message board. About skyscrapers. The whole point is engage in commentary about architecture. Get over it.

I agree 100%, I don't think my previous posts reflect what I meant. Yes okay we can talk about the spire- personally I find it an irrelevance now. BUT if you are going to talk about it give an actual COMMENTARY and not just a line saying "I hate that spire or "they should have went with the original design". Nothing is better than lively debate but trying to debate with someone who fails to give a single reason behind why they hate the spire, or how they think it affects the building, skyline etc. is difficult. They are merely shouting out a negative opinion with no room for response and if there is a response it is simply "Why do you hate the spire" to which they say "the original was better". Its like going around in circles.

As you say we are all here to talk about architecture, having a lively, interesting and contrasting debate around it would be nice and add some real depth to the conversation.

Edit re: previous post I meant workers as in those who actively took part in the design (sorry if it sounded to be directed toward those actually building the building, my choice of words was poor!)
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM   #48955
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Don't worry, you question about antenna is ok( many people still ask it here). Welcome
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM   #48956
esb_ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I promise I'm not picking on you

Don't worry about it- I don't take it personally, Like I said I enjoy the debate! It just goes to show how much we can care over a building. Remarkable we can argue over and over the littlest of details while the vast majority of the world look at it and go "Hey that's nice" and don't give a sh*t lol

dipstraughtnia liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #48957
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
Anyone know any great places to see the skyline from the Lower Hudson Valley (Rockland County area)?
I think that would be from Bear Mountain, near the border of Orange-Rockland counties.

image hosted on flickr

view from tower por Q's wandering..., en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The New York Landscape por SunnyDazzled, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan from Bear Mountain por The Seclunatic, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan skyline por Q's wandering..., en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

manhattan por Q's wandering..., en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Over the Hills and Far Away por blazer8696, en Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
If they removed the lower elevators,how would they get stuff to the upper floors?
Most of the construction materials for the building are in place.

For the remodelation of the offices, there are freight elevators, as in other large office buildings.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #48958
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

DID THE PORT AUTHORITY made a pact with Evil?

"In August 2010,the PA board authorized incentives to Durst of 75 percent of any savings it realized up to $12 millions,and 50 percent of any savings it realized beyond $12 millions.Subsequent negociations changed the benefit to Durst,with a formula running from 75 percent of savings up to $24 millions,stepping down to 50 percent,25 percent and 15 percent as the savings increased."NY Times,June 12 2012

wtcforever liked this post

Last edited by Mockai; August 1st, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM   #48959
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Its like going around in circles.
Some would say that's what humans do best, and since the internet is merely a tool for amplifying our traits and flaws...
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM   #48960
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Now that we're so close to the finished product does anyone have a comprehensive, but not too large, collection of all the iterations for this structure? Based on my knowledge this building has undergone the most dynamic evolutions in design since conception compared to other skyscrapers.

Edit: And yes, I'll be googling for that myself. Just wondering if any fanboys out here had that at the ready.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center