daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM   #48961
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
??? a) Wouldn't that stuff fall onto the roof? b) If it's capable of blowing off well then surely there are other elements on this and other buildings capable of the same problem? NYC has plenty of roof top antennae, satellite dishes, arrays...
The wind would most likely blow the ice off of the spire before it even hit the roof.The spire would be a great place for ice to stick and collect during winter storms because it is hollow
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #48962
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3208

Found it!

Highcliff liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM   #48963
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Quote:
Found it!

1-4
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM   #48964
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb_ny View Post
Ok I can I just say I have viewed this thread as an observer from its conception and would never post unless I thought it would be for just reason. The reason I posted was because the previous poster who had given the timescales had said and I quote that it may be "WAY off". Because of this I was looking for a second opinion as previous posters had questioned when the guy wires will be pulled into place as they are slack. Like I said I have viewed this thread for a long time, reading nearly every page (in fact read every page on the Supertalls World Cup- and as you know that was a long time ago). I have only decided that my knowledge is good enough to warrant posting and taking part actively in this forum.

Secondly the frustration over the spire is shared by both the people who like the new design and the people who don't. The original renders were changed long ago, the time to debate it was then- not now. Its extremely disrespectful to the workers (who have worked damned hard on this building) to continue to quarrel over the past instead of looking toward the future and the great work being done with the EXISTING SPIRE, and this magnificent buildings rightful place in the skyscraper world.
No one cares when you really started to read this site, and perhaps you should try not getting so upset about people voicing opinions that happen to differ from your own.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:55 PM   #48965
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
It's an open message board. About skyscrapers. The whole point is engage in commentary about architecture. Get over it.
No its's not an open message board about skyscrapers, it's about One World Trade Center...too many irrelevant posts here nowadays
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM   #48966
esb_ny

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
No one cares when you really started to read this site, and perhaps you should try not getting so upset about people voicing opinions that happen to differ from your own.

I'm not getting upset, I have just stated in a previous post that I respect others opinions who differ from mine. I have no problem with people not liking the spire, like I mentioned later in the thread my problem is that interesting debate is lacking over it. As for the "no one cares" when I started to read the site, I thought it would be useful information to the poster I was directing my reply to as it would indicate I have been around the site from the design change that sparked argument over the spire and thusly have witnessed alot of arguing over it. I wasn't trying to be mean in my post, if it came across that way it was unintended.
esb_ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:13 PM   #48967
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

In looking back at the evolution of the design, I'm stunned at how short the core was in each of the earlier versions. The furor over the credible height of the current design is nothing compared to what we'd find if one of the other options came to be.

Also, while I sympathize with Mr. Libeskind's treatment in the process I think the resulting form is certainly the most graceful and deserving of the site. The dynamism of the early concepts, even if paying homage to Lady Liberty, seem less respectful of the original structures and, in hindsight, appear too forced. in this case, IMO, less is more for this building.

Mockai liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM   #48968
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

I think it'd be cool to see the 2003 version built as a different building somewhere in the United States.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #48969
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I think it'd be cool to see the 2003 version built as a different building somewhere in the United States.
No,Josh...i know you have a fine taste and are like me a Singer's lover.
Let's rebuilt the Singer!!
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM   #48970
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

That design would really stand out in a US skyline. Not too many structures here with that much flamboyance.
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM   #48971
esb_ny

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
... in this case, IMO, less is more for this building.

I agree, some people think this building is not stunning, daring or striking enough but I disagree. There is something about it that really strikes a chord with me. I cant describe it, when I was there in March, it was late and no construction work was going on. The wind was blowing in from the Hudson and only a few cars could be heard in the distance, there was maybe 2 people walking off into the distance. It was probably one of the quietest places I had been in NYC. And as I was standing there below it, I felt almost completely at peace. My heart wasn't beating a million miles a minute like when I stood below the ESB. I don't know how to describe it, it was just that moment with me and the building and it seemed like all other things that whirled around my mind before the approach were gone. This giant standing alone, and at the time so was I, it felt mutual. It was serene almost. Buildings connect with people in different ways I guess.
esb_ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #48972
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

The smaller rig that will remove the crane is on the the ring in the EarthCam. look for the red lattice structure.

pnapp1, Swiddle, The DaRk MaN liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:32 PM   #48973
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

lego new wtc from www.eurobricks.com image hosted on flickr

AlePa2013 liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM   #48974
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:05 AM   #48975
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
The smaller rig that will remove the crane is on the the ring in the EarthCam. look for the red lattice structure.
It's too dark and cloudy for me to see. Is it a derrick like the one that was used on 4WTC and One57?

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:37 AM   #48976
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

This is a prefect picture showing all the upper outer stuff done, almost look like its complete and already has people working in it, the guy wires adds a nice little more modern look to the tower, it gives a little distraction from the spire/antenna for all you spire/antenna haters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
another picture of the guy wires.

Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:45 AM   #48977
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I don't know why ? but i was kinda hoping you could see the guyed wires from Brooklyn,i know its silly but in the renders the wires seem so much more visible,i am telling you guys these wires are hardly visible even from midtown from where i work you can hardly see them !
The New 1WTC guy wires are more noticeable more than the WTC North Tower guy wires were, they were so thin you couldn't even see them if you we're next to the Antenna.
Squint your eyes and you'll see it.

No need to squint your eyes.

Last edited by Shakkur98; August 2nd, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:43 AM   #48978
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

Sorry is that the final look of the antenna or will it get warped with something shiny like in most of the artist impression of this tower?
UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:50 AM   #48979
The Quiet Storm
I ❤ Skyscrapers!

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
It's so exciting. Gonna look AMAZING lit up! Can't wait!

ON iTUNES NOW
The Quiet Storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:58 AM   #48980
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by UjaiDidida View Post
Sorry is that the final look of the antenna or will it get warped with something shiny like in most of the artist impression of this tower?
Nope just the skeleton is going to be up there.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center