daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #4901
NewYorkForever2016

Likes (Received): 0

2013!!!! UGGGGGGG!!

New York Freedom Tower (1 World Trade Center) Vs Shanghi World Finance Center + With Poll : Go to
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691670

Obama/Biden 2008
NewYorkForever2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #4902
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Get a grip on reality, people. It's not big problem. It makes no difference for this tower because the completion times are still basically the same and the contracts are out (not to mention it's rising); the opening deadline somewhere in 2012 was preset to go either way by roughly 6 months.

"It can’t stop; it’s got to keep going.”

Last edited by Ebola; June 16th, 2008 at 04:39 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #4903
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

If the tower actually being built by Silverstein, not by the government and doesn't he have a drop dead date for the building to be completed before he has to pay penalties? Also doesn't port authority have the same arrangement for the other towers? If this is true what happens to the penalties? I realize the state can delay the projects they are solely responsible for (PATH, 9/11 Memorial, etc.) but the delay of the other buildings have lots of implication!
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #4904
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

I could've sworn I saw this article in this thread already..maybe it was in the other wtc thread here or somewhere on SSP. I'm really not that distraught by that article. As long as I keep seeing beams pop up over street level I'm fine.
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #4905
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

that article is using "delay" wrong.

from what i could understand, its not a "delay" as in a halting of construction... all it is is pushing the completion dates back a little bit because the original ones were unrealistic (-however true that may be)
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4906
deez

Likes (Received): 2

No one wants this expensive hot potato!

By STEVE CUOZZO--NY POST

June 17, 2008 -- The Freedom Tower is up for grabs.

Although Port Authority of New York and New Jersey insiders deny wanting to sell it outright, the agency has approached major developers about taking the slow-moving Ground Zero project partially or completely off its hands, sources told The Post.

PA Chairman Anthony Coscia and Executive Director Chris Ward have recently had talks with Related Cos., the Stephen Ross-led giant that created the Time Warner Center and has been chosen to develop the West Side rail yards.

Earlier this year, sources said, the PA, advised by Deutsche Bank, made a similar pitch to Brookfield Properties, the publicly traded company that owns the World Financial Center. Reps for Related and Brookfield did not return calls.

With Brookfield, a source said, "The PA was a bit vague as to how it would work, but they basically wanted to privatize the Freedom Tower. But Brookfield didn't regard the project as economically viable."

PA officials declined comment. But insiders said the agency wants a developer to form a "partnership" that would reduce its risk while bringing in a company "fully knowledgeable in their core business of real estate development."

Because the PA owns the land, a transfer would likely take the form of a long-term lease.

It was understood that any developer jumping in would not start from scratch, but complete the $3 billion tower as it's currently designed.

However, the PA does not need a developer merely to finish building the skyscraper - the agency prides itself on its construction expertise. Nor does it need one just to handle leasing, a chore now assigned to Cushman & Wakefield.

The PA has in the past acknowledged the possibility of taking on a financial partner such as Fortress or Blackstone in the delayed tower - but not a development company to take a majority or minority stake.

Now, sources say, both options are on the table - "whichever will alleviate pressure on them."

The PA has proclaimed its commitment to build the Freedom Tower ever since it assumed control of the project from Larry Silverstein 18 months ago.

Steel is slowly rising - more than can be said of anything else at Ground Zero - but it's clearly a fiscal and political burden for the PA. "Office development and leasing is not their strong suit," a source said.

"They have their hands full with the rest of Ground Zero, and they want to clear the decks if they take over Moynihan Station" - as Sen. Chuck Schumer has proposed.

The Freedom Tower was supposed to be an "iconic" skyline reclamation reaching 1,776 feet. But it's since been reduced to 1,368 feet - the height of the original Twin Towers - topped by a broadcast antenna that might never be built.

Last week, Gov. David Paterson asked Ward to audit Ground Zero projects to determine how much they will cost and when they can be completed.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4907
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Steve Cuozzo=Half lies and half news. Yawn.

Btw looking at the webcam they have been installing caps on the southern core rebar. It looks like yellow or white square between the formwork and the roof landing of the core. Usually when these are in place the core pour seems to follow quickly.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #4908
Ebola
BANNED

"Steve Cuozzo=Half lies and half news."

I have only read a handful of his articles, but I agree. For example, look at the second and fourth sentences going up from the bottom of his article. Both are obviously bull to anyone who is educated.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #4909
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

hmm 1:30 am and work going on freedom tower, even cranes are working too, that very unusual, something is up

looks like another pour, this time at night
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #4910
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

"The Freedom Tower was supposed to be an "iconic" skyline reclamation reaching 1,776 feet. But it's since been reduced to 1,368 feet - the height of the original Twin Towers - topped by a broadcast antenna that might never be built."

Yeah. BS. Glad I don't have my credentials tied to that.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #4911
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Yea your right webeagle. You can see the concrete arm extended right now. Strange they are working at this hour.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4912
DubaiTheLeader

Likes (Received): 0

They also removed the last two stairwells coming the PATH station yesterday.
DubaiTheLeader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #4913
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jef View Post
"The Freedom Tower was supposed to be an "iconic" skyline reclamation reaching 1,776 feet. But it's since been reduced to 1,368 feet - the height of the original Twin Towers - topped by a broadcast antenna that might never be built."

Yeah. BS. Glad I don't have my credentials tied to that.
Not quite sure why you feel this way, the Capn stated the facts. The original design was 1776 feet tall and didn't have an antenna (called a spire by some) stuck on top to get to 1776 feet. Now we have a 1368 foot tall building with an ugly rod stuck on top! Certainly not the beautiful design are eventually had.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4914
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

good things come to those who wait...
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #4915
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Not quite sure why you feel this way, the Capn stated the facts. The original design was 1776 feet tall and didn't have an antenna (called a spire by some) stuck on top to get to 1776 feet. Now we have a 1368 foot tall building with an ugly rod stuck on top! Certainly not the beautiful design are eventually had.
To me, I'd rather see a 1368 ft tall building with a "rod stuck on top" than a 700-900ft building with a good portion of the top being an empty shell.

To me the current version is very fitting and nice. At least NYC will have it's height back, and then some. I am keeping my hopes up that they don't damage this project anymore than they already have with all of this "delay" nonsense.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #4916
Msradell
Always looking up

I agree that the design proposal you show in your post was ugly but several of the later ones were beautiful can actually looked like the showpiece this building should be. The building now being built is nothing special at all. It's just a big box with an antenna stuck on top! America sure expected something a lot more dramatic.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #4917
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
America sure expected something a lot more dramatic.
who's asking 'america'? nyers are the ones who have to live with the building every day and since i didn't expect the wtc site to ever see a skyscraper again on sept 12th 2001, i don't have a problem taking whatever supertall i can get.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #4918
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
It's just a big box with an antenna stuck on top! America sure expected something a lot more dramatic.
most Americans(as well as NY'ers) wanted the original towers rebuilt, which was just a big box with an antenna stuck on top! The only difference is the new tower is more modern variation of the original... and that there's only 1 instead of two. So i'm not sure if you think that another "freedom tower" would help make everything more dramatic but whatever
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4919
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

My perfect freedom tower would be the exact same body of current design but without that crown looking thing at the base of the spire (BTW what is that?) and original design spire at the corner of the tower. The original spire is amazzzing !

but that half empty tower is just rubbish idea.

comparison show original design taller, observation deck lower.

I'm guessing that crown evolved at least twice.
once circular:

now chef's hat compressed:
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #4920
Ebola
BANNED

^ All of that is outdated or not being built. Don't take my word for it, but they are still playing with designs for the top. No matter how much anyone on the planet whines, it will be 1,776' and the tallest office building. It seems WTC Tower 3 may be much bigger than the Feedom Tower now. It is in the middle of the site so it should work out and they do know what they're doing.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center