daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #49221
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

It's really not a spire but an antenna now. What a disappointment.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #49222
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

Speaking of that... I honestly don't think the antenna should be consider part of 1WTC's official height. I think the tallest building in the U.S. or even the western hemisphere still is the Willis Tower AKA the Sears Tower which still beats 432 Park Avenue.

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #49223
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

I absolutely love it. From a distance, where 99% of normal people will see it, I think it fits the rest of the tower perfectly. The more I see these white Radome's attached to the top of other towers, the more I think it just wouldn't have fit this tower and blended with the cladding. When I see it in renders, it doesn't look half bad, but now that the towers beautiful, somewhat reflective cladding is up, I just don't think it would have looked as good as what we got. Picture looking at the tower on a nice, sunny day, where the tower almost blends into the sky and you can see clouds on the cladding and then you look up and see this non-reflective, solid white, Radome covered Spire. In my mind, it just wouldn't have blended with the rest of the tower.

ThatOneGuy, Xoltage, OnePointWest liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #49224
Dragon18

Likes (Received): 4557

I agree. Attempt to pass as the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, thanks to the spire looks like a hoax. It is uncoated and has stretch marks as mast.

Joshua Dodd liked this post
Dragon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #49225
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

spire this, spire that
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #49226
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapers144 View Post
Speaking of that... I honestly don't think the antenna should be consider part of 1WTC's official height. I think the tallest building in the U.S. or even the western hemisphere still is the Willis Tower AKA the Sears Tower which still beats 432 Park Avenue.
If it was the original radome then the official height would work for me, but now that it is an exposed antenna, not a spire, I don't think it should be considered part of the building's official height.

slooparch liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #49227
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

exactly

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #49228
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
If it was the original radome then the official height would work for me, but now that it is an exposed antenna, not a spire, I don't think it should be considered part of the building's official height.

Can we say it's an antenna as there are no communication devices?..
Furthermore,is it reasonable not to consider any more let's say the ..mast as a structural part of the building just because of some coating!?...
...In some way,it would means that if i shave my head i'm not gonna be 6.2 anymore??....
For me,the criteria should be the last occupied floor,which means that Burg khalifa is "only"1.918 feet tall.
In fact,it just depends of what we are speaking about:just man made structure or residential/commercial.

Xoltage liked this post

Last edited by Mockai; August 9th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #49229
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

I love the spire. I think it fits perfectly with the building, and the rest of the skyline. How can we judge if the radome would look better when we haven't even seen it in person? The design was changed in May 2012, this is no surprise to us anymore.

The building, from the beacon, to the base, looks amazing! Especially in person!

chaiopen, slooparch liked this post
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #49230
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

I wish they would clean the glass. its gotten so dirty
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #49231
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockai View Post
Furthermore,is it reasonable not to consider any more let's say the ..mast as a structural part of the building just because of some coating!?...
...In some way,it would means that if i shave my head i'm not gonna be 6.2 anymore??....
For me,the criteria should be the last occupied floor,which means that Burg khalifa is "only"1.918 feet tall.
In fact,it just depends of what we are speaking about:just man made structure or residential/commercial.
It is an antenna because its main purpose is to hold communication devices once tenants arrive. I guess it would be technically correct to call it a mast. But not a spire. A spire is an architectural element made for aesthetic purposes and nothing more, such as the spire that crowns the Chrysler Building. That's the big difference here with the radome and the naked antenna. The radome was entirely an architectural element for aesthetic purposes to compliment the skyscraper itself. Now we are left with a naked antenna that is rather harsh looking and looks very awkward with the only remaining piece of the radome on top, the beacon.

Dragon18 liked this post
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #49232
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
I wish they would clean the glass. its gotten so dirty
Window washing scaffolding and telescopic BMU uit need to be lifted and positioned on the roof first, these are perhaps among the last items to be worked on.

Personnel will be cleaning the glass 3 times a year.

Joshua Dodd, Swiddle liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #49233
Mockai
BANNED

Joshua Dodd;106026478]It is an antenna because its main purpose is to hold communication devices once tenants arrive. I guess it would be technically correct to call it a mast. But not a spire. A spire is an architectural element made for aesthetic purposes and nothing more, such as the spire that crowns the Chrysler Building. That's the big difference here with the radome and the naked antenna. The radome was entirely an architectural element for aesthetic purposes to compliment the skyscraper itself. Now we are left with a naked antenna that is rather harsh looking and looks very awkward with the only remaining piece of the radome on top, the beacon.[/QUOTE]

That's all the problem:WHAT IT IS??...
I maintain it's not an antennaurst's spokesman was clear as we're not gonna have any communication devices on the....mast.
By the way,vent hoods or no vent hoods?..

Last edited by Mockai; August 12th, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #49234
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
It is an antenna because its main purpose is to hold communication devices once tenants arrive. I guess it would be technically correct to call it a mast. But not a spire. A spire is an architectural element made for aesthetic purposes and nothing more, such as the spire that crowns the Chrysler Building. That's the big difference here with the radome and the naked antenna. The radome was entirely an architectural element for aesthetic purposes to compliment the skyscraper itself. Now we are left with a naked antenna that is rather harsh looking and looks very awkward with the only remaining piece of the radome on top, the beacon.

Technically, by definition, it cannot be called an "Antenna". The spire, with or without the Radome, was never designed to hold communications equipment. That is what the communication rings were designed for. If anybody can show, in blueprints or official plans, that there was ever a plan to put communication equipment directly on the spire, with or without the Radome, then please share them. That's not to say that there is no possible way to add them in the future, but after all, we have no idea what the future holds
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #49235
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Technically, by definition, it cannot be called an "Antenna". The spire, with or without the Radome, was never designed to hold communications equipment. That is what the communication rings were designed for. If anybody can show, in blueprints or official plans, that there was ever a plan to put communication equipment directly on the spire, with or without the Radome, then please share them. That's not to say that there is no possible way to add them in the future, but after all, we have no idea what the future holds
I could've swore that I read on this very forum that the copious holes in the mast was designed specifically to hold such various equipment.
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #49236
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Window washing scaffolding and telescopic BMU uit need to be lifted and positioned on the roof first, these are perhaps among the last items to be worked on.

Personnel will be cleaning the glass 3 times a year.
They haven't hoisted those up yet? I would figure with the dismantling of the crane on top they would've certainly have done that already
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #49237
NateArchibald
Empire State of Mind

Likes (Received): 132

Some people say the Petronas Towers cheated for height but at least their spire complements the design. I think the spire looks good but it's useless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_100/9378175615/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_100/9376360173/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_100/9375742133/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_100/9375584729/
image hosted on flickr
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #49238
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
That's all the problem:WHAT IT IS??...
I maintain it's not an antennaurst's spokesman was clear as we're not gonna have any communication devices on the....mast.
By the way,vent hoods or no vent hoods?..
True, but then again we do not know what the future will have in store for us. I'm sure somewhere down the line something will be added to it. I do like the communications ring though. I think it's one of the most brilliant and clever additions to the structure, and very convenient too. Instead of random and messy communications equipment added to the buildings, as done with the Empire State Building, it now has a specific location designed for it, which creates more organization. Speaking of which, I'm sure when the Empire State Building was in its youth nobody could have ever imagined the giant antenna that was later added and all the communications equipment equipped on it after the tragic events of 911. Hopefully most of that nasty equipment will transfer to the communications ring on 1 WTC so we will have a cleaner ESB. As for the hood vents, I actually like them, surprisingly. And because they are inside the communication ring's circle, they really aren't too visible. But the purpose they serve is essential for protecting the communication ring's equipment. As much as I hate that they nixed the radome and now we have an exposed mast, I still love this building because it is so interesting and symbolically humble.
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #49239
Mockai
BANNED

]
Quote:
I could've swore that I read on this very forum that the copious holes in the mast was designed specifically to hold such various equipment.
Actually,you are right.I remember some Child's interview where he was saying that one of the radom purpose was also to protect and dissimulate a forrest of small antenna.
But now we are not even sure they will ever use the communication rings as the leases with ESB run till many years.
In fact,there was no need nor expectation for a spire mast antenna..
There was that symbolic height to reach and that's the way they found to make it.

Last edited by Mockai; August 10th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #49240
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
You're confused, antennas are the ones with the communication devices.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center