daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #49421
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

WTC1 is impressive... even without overstating reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
yes and no,the base is made of concrete and the corners are squared off with steel,if a car bomb exploded near the corner,the worst that could happen would be a few panels of glass being blown off.remember, the concrete used in 1 wtc's base is the strongest concrete in the world
WTC1 uses 14000psi concrete. Back in 1988, Seattle's Two Union Square used 19000psi concrete. http://www.cement.org/tech/ctt_timeline.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
No. Its not any weaker, where would you get that idea? The tower is structurally exactly the same it just has 'extra' glass in the corners to fill out the square. This building is the by leaps and bounds the strongest large structure ever built in human history, and that is not an overstatement, considering the strength+fireproofing of steel, strength and thickness of the concrete, safety measures in the core, strength of the base wall, and the fact that the building is essentially a steel pyramid, a steel square, and an invincible core all in one.
How about them pyramids?

But in all seriousness, has there been a non-biased comparison to some of the still-under-construction Chinese supertalls? They have insanely massive cores and super columns clad in concrete. It would seem that national pride on both sides would lead the press to claim the "strongest" moniker without really delving into it... earthquake resistance, fire resistance, long term concrete stability, etc.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #49422
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

It's a vain debate as about all the mega talls all over the world,design and engineering are Made in USA.
American standards are the highest and most requiring.
That's why one WTC cost is 4 billions.
...And about the origin of skyscrapers we can tell FULLER is their real father as for his Tacoma building in Chicago he created street cages that supported all the building's weight.
That was obviously the greatest contribution(with OTIS and the elevator) to the concept of skyscraper.
...Just wanted to restore the truth.It's not nationalism:i'm french italian!!...

Last edited by Mockai; August 15th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #49423
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Awesome video
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #49424
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Video from Jason Hawkes from a helicopter of Manhattan:

- Simply Majestic!
Awesome video
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #49425
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsdown 2.0 View Post
The very first metal framed multi storey building (albeit only 5) was in Shrewsbury, England in 1797. No elevator though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditherington_Flax_Mill

On 1 WTC it's a shame they didn't build two of them.
Two of them would have been very awkward and redundant against the skyline. The diversity with all four towers adds character and charm. I like the new "Crystal City".

Also, it looks like they are working on preparations for the roads!

Last edited by Joshua Dodd; August 15th, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #49426
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockai View Post
It's a vain debate as about all the mega talls all over the world,design and engineering are Made in USA.
American standards are the highest and most requiring.
That's why one WTC cost is 4 billions.
...And about the origin of skyscrapers we can tell FULLER is their real father as for his Tacoma building in Chicago he created street cages that supported all the building's weight.
That was obviously the greatest contribution(with OTIS and the elevator) to the concept of skyscraper.
...Just wanted to restore the truth.It's not nationalism:i'm french italian!!...
It cost 4 billion because American construction workers are among the highest paid in the world and they only work 7 hours a day and thus it takes twice as long and costs twice as much to a build a building in USA than in other countries. Some of these construction workers after including overtime make six figure salaries.

ThatOneGuy, L.A.F.2. liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #49427
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
It cost 4 billion because American construction workers are among the highest paid in the world and they only work 7 hours a day and thus it takes twice as long and costs twice as much to a build a building in USA than in other countries. Some of these construction workers after including overtime make six figure salaries.
Also??...are you jealous!?..i think they deserve their dollars more than the yuppies from wall street!!
That's the honor of someone like Frank Gerhy to refuse any contract in a country where workers are not decently paid.
For the rest,all over the world,made in USA is synonymous of top notch quality.
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #49428
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
WTC1 is impressive... even without overstating reality.
WTC1 uses 14000psi concrete. Back in 1988, Seattle's Two Union Square used 19000psi concrete. http://www.cement.org/tech/ctt_timeline.asp

It is the strongest used on a supertall though. Most people tend to forget that part, however.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #49429
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Stronger than the concrete used to construct dams
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #49430
Joshua Dodd

Before everyone starts making these claims that this is stronger than this and that, could you please post links to articles or documents classifying all this because without tangible proof it simply sounds like mere speculation and assertions. It is a fact that 1WTC is a very strong and resilient building, but if you claim that the concrete is stronger than that which is used for dams or what not, could you please link us to something verifying this? I ask respectfully because I am very interested in learning more about this. And I like proof and not biased speculation.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #49431
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Also??...are you jealous!?..i think they deserve their dollars more than the yuppies from wall street!!
Yeah, **** all those criminals on Wall Street, the construction workers who built Tower One do deserve a large sum, probably more than talk show hosts too.

Joshua Dodd liked this post
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #49432
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I want to say they get paid $80 an hour.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #49433
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Yeah, **** all those criminals on Wall Street, the construction workers who built Tower One do deserve a large sum, probably more than talk show hosts too.
Agreed. Many Wall Street clowns like John Corzine deserve imprisonment for economic terrorism. The workers at 1WTC have done an incredible job. They deserve all the money the Wall Street cronies get for doing nothing.
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #49434
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
And I like proof and not biased speculation.
This article from 2011 is a good place to start: http://www.rew-online.com/2011/06/01...uper-concrete/

I think people aren't quoting articles because this has been covered pretty extensively since the beginning of construction. That article goes into fairly deep detail about the development of the WTC's concrete, and I'm not nearly well-versed enough in construction to break down some of the specifics, but the gist of it is that it's 14,000 psi steel-reinforced concrete -- where previously anything over 10- or 12,000 psi was considered extremely high strength.

It'd be hard to compare a dam, because the walls are so much thicker, but Hoover Dam, for instance, had (I believe) 5,000 psi concrete.

Some have said that the concrete developed for this project has actually helped jump-start a revolution in super-and-megatall towers that couldn't have been safely built before.

On top of that, there's the design itself, which includes safety features such as the much-maligned "bunker" base and protected stairwells with ultra-thick walls.

My girlfriend works in and studies disasters and emergencies, and she's concluded that in a major earthquake or a bombing of any kind, inside One WTC is just about the safest place in NYC you could be.

Mockai liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #49435
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I don't think the base will feel as bunker-ish when it is done. I've visited plenty of art museums with no windows and they feel totally fine.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #49436
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

It didn't seem like one at all to me. Rather, it was like a gorgeous, giant mirror.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #49437
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
That's the honor of someone like Frank Gerhy to refuse any contract in a country where workers are not decently paid.
For the rest,all over the world,made in USA is synonymous of top notch quality.
I am not jealous.

I am just saying that this tower costs 4 Billion doesn't mean that the building materials that are used to build this tower are super expensive its just that the Construction Workers building this tower are very highly paid and don't work long hours and thus it drags out the construction process which escalates costs.

If this building was being built in China or Dubai, it would have been completed in 2 or 3 years.

This building started construction in April 2006 and won't be until January 2014 until the tenants move in. That's 8 years.

Europe and Japan were rebuilt faster after World War II than this building.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #49438
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I am not jealous.

I am just saying that this tower costs 4 Billion doesn't mean that the building materials that are used to build this tower are super expensive its just that the Construction Workers building this tower are very highly paid and don't work long hours and thus it drags out the construction process which escalates costs.

If this building was being built in China or Dubai, it would have been completed in 2 or 3 years.

This building started construction in April 2006 and won't be until January 2014 until the tenants move in. That's 8 years.

Europe and Japan were rebuilt faster after World War II than this building.
Yes lets act like this is just a regular office building.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #49439
liltaz88

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post

Yes lets act like this is just a regular office building.
What happen WTC2???
liltaz88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #49440
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltaz88 View Post
What happen WTC2???
its on hold
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center