daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #49441
liltaz88

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post

its on hold
Oh alright, when get restart???
liltaz88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #49442
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Before everyone starts making these claims that this is stronger than this and that, could you please post links to articles or documents classifying all this because without tangible proof it simply sounds like mere speculation and assertions. It is a fact that 1WTC is a very strong and resilient building, but if you claim that the concrete is stronger than that which is used for dams or what not, could you please link us to something verifying this? I ask respectfully because I am very interested in learning more about this. And I like proof and not biased speculation.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/21...-concrete-run/

I wouldn't make that up, it's been a long known fact on this forum. Here's a link bud
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #49443
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

[QUOTE=Mercenary;106209385]I am not jealous.

I am just saying that this tower costs 4 Billion doesn't mean that the building materials that are used to build this tower are super expensive its just that the Construction Workers building this tower are very highly paid and don't work long hours and thus it drags out the construction process which escalates costs.

If this building was being built in China or Dubai, it would have been completed in 2 or 3 years.

This building started construction in April 2006 and won't be until January 2014 until the tenants move in. That's 8 years.
Europe and Japan were rebuilt faster after World War II than this building?

If i well understand you make the apology of countries where workers get paid $200 a month and about Dubai where they live at ten peoples in a one bedroom and get their passport confiscated.
You are right: Europe and Japan where rebuilt very fast...because of the american help(we learn that at school in France(Marshall plan))
One wtc is a very specific project where many financial,POLITICAL,emotional(and so one)parameters where involved.
What is weird is that despite the cost of labour in New York developers are lining up to build on every single piece of land!!
Either as an ignorant or as a troll you make stupid statments you seem to be very proud of!
Construction workers are the blood of NY:they will never get paid enough!!
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #49444
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
This article from 2011 is a good place to start: http://www.rew-online.com/2011/06/01...uper-concrete/

I think people aren't quoting articles because this has been covered pretty extensively since the beginning of construction. That article goes into fairly deep detail about the development of the WTC's concrete, and I'm not nearly well-versed enough in construction to break down some of the specifics, but the gist of it is that it's 14,000 psi steel-reinforced concrete -- where previously anything over 10- or 12,000 psi was considered extremely high strength.

It'd be hard to compare a dam, because the walls are so much thicker, but Hoover Dam, for instance, had (I believe) 5,000 psi concrete.

Some have said that the concrete developed for this project has actually helped jump-start a revolution in super-and-megatall towers that couldn't have been safely built before.

On top of that, there's the design itself, which includes safety features such as the much-maligned "bunker" base and protected stairwells with ultra-thick walls.

My girlfriend works in and studies disasters and emergencies, and she's concluded that in a major earthquake or a bombing of any kind, inside One WTC is just about the safest place in NYC you could be.
That article is interesting, It also says that widespread use of even stronger concrete will become common. Perhaps that has already become true given how long it has been since this tower was started.

None of the discussion in this thread has gone beyond patriotic chest thumping, like people incorrectly stating it has the highest psi concrete ever used. That isn't to say this building isn't strong or isn't one of the strongest in the world. But there has been absolutely no evidence or even discussion of if it is the strongest against an earthquake, or has superior durability in the long term, as in centuries from now.

Just making this observation will probably set off some reactionary pro-WTC or nationalistic bluster. Keep in mind that i'm not insulting the tower or saying that it is weak.

Instead, this is merely pointing out that we really don't know how it compares in overall strength. It has an explosive resistant bunker of a lobby, but does that equate to overall strength? Some of the other supertalls in the world may be using slightly less strong concrete but might over compensate with shear volume in the core and tubular super columns clad in concrete.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #49445
AliP95

Likes (Received): 104

Has anyone else discovered that you can track northern podium cladding progress by using tower 1 base earthcam?
You can just about see by looking at the reflection on 7WTC's facade!

Swiddle liked this post
AliP95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #49446
adam.dworzak

Likes (Received): 957

del

Last edited by adam.dworzak; August 16th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
adam.dworzak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #49447
chaiopen

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Looks like the temporary railings (yellow posts) and netting are starting to be removed from the communication rings (lower ring).

EDIT: Even more gone since this screen shot.

Image via earthcam

Too bad they just replaced the yellow "sticks" and also the netting is back

chaiopen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #49448
Mockai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 116

By itself,imo the mast is really a beautiful structure,especially when the sky is dark blue.
If it was silver it would be magnificent!!...just a suggestion mister Durst!...
Mockai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #49449
dean87
kedahsejahtera

Likes (Received): 5220

image hosted on flickr

New York, 27 Luglio 2013 by Arsenio_Lupin, on Flickr

Highcliff liked this post
dean87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #49450
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Went to the site today, base cladding has finally started on the north side.

Don't have the time to post the pics I took, sadly.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #49451
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6901

image hosted on flickr

Stars and Stripes von Keith Michael NYC auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sisyphus von Keith Michael NYC auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

That August Glow von Keith Michael NYC auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown von Keith Michael NYC auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

1 WTC von edrodzen auf Flickr
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #49452
anrsbes.charles

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post

Yeah, **** all those criminals on Wall Street, the construction workers who built Tower One do deserve a large sum, probably more than talk show hosts too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post

Agreed. Many Wall Street clowns like John Corzine deserve imprisonment for economic terrorism. The workers at 1WTC have done an incredible job. They deserve all the money the Wall Street cronies get for doing nothing.
I have been registered on this site for a while now, checking for updates every day. I consider it an honor that I get to walk by this site every day. I hate that I'm using my first to defend people that have degrees in economics and finance, but I can see its necessary.

Those "criminals" you speak of do what they do and get paid what they do because few understand those kind of things. Possessing a high level degree in finance leads to a rewarding career with a high salary and bonuses. Imagine how empty and useless the new trading floors in these buildings would be without economists and financiers to utilize them.

As far as the brave people who work at the WTC site, their wages, like everyone else's, are determined by supply and demand for providers of a given service, in this case, highly skilled construction workers.

I believe they (construction personnel) deserve the money they earn, it's even higher once you add their benefits to it as well, they deserve the benefits too. Their wages are high because their job is dangerous and they have a union behind them.

They are building all of us a new state of the art set of buildings. I'm thankful they are doing so and hope to bring my business there in the future once things get opened up.

I'm a born and raised New Yorker and an economist, I look forward to reading all of the great info about this great building and site in the future.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #49453
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

^Struck a nerve? Hilarious how you can always tell when someone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth and has the self-entitlement to show for it.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #49454
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Took a few the other day...

[IMG]http://i41.************/2h4j0qe.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/24g7i35.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/x2j4go.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.************/2ykdk77.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.************/2vll9v7.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.************/30k7djq.jpg[/IMG]

TowerVerre:), Highcliff, Swiddle liked this post
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #49455
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrsbes.charles View Post
I have been registered on this site for a while now, checking for updates every day. I consider it an honor that I get to walk by this site every day. I hate that I'm using my first to defend people that have degrees in economics and finance, but I can see its necessary.

Those "criminals" you speak of do what they do and get paid what they do because few understand those kind of things. Possessing a high level degree in finance leads to a rewarding career with a high salary and bonuses. Imagine how empty and useless the new trading floors in these buildings would be without economists and financiers to utilize them.

As far as the brave people who work at the WTC site, their wages, like everyone else's, are determined by supply and demand for providers of a given service, in this case, highly skilled construction workers.

I believe they (construction personnel) deserve the money they earn, it's even higher once you add their benefits to it as well, they deserve the benefits too. Their wages are high because their job is dangerous and they have a union behind them.

They are building all of us a new state of the art set of buildings. I'm thankful they are doing so and hope to bring my business there in the future once things get opened up.

I'm a born and raised New Yorker and an economist, I look forward to reading all of the great info about this great building and site in the future.
I agree. Some forumers are just very adolescent in their remarks.
NY would be a lot more empty without its financial sector.

TowerFreak95 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #49456
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

Does anyone know if the "inside" elevators at 1WTC are operational and WHEN will the exterior ones be removed?

Plus, I would like to know HOW will they take down the crane on the top, will they use an helicopter?

Thanks.
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #49457
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Just a thing about the concrete...I looked at the concrete used in the Colosseum in Rome. It is 2000 years old and solid as a rock...It seems all the concrete reinforced with steel self destructs over time. A lot sooner than 2000 years but then who builds anything thinking about 2000 years ?
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #49458
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, the jacking system has been added to the tower crane. Disassembly is imminent.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #49459
net222
Joined on a peculiar day

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
In an attempt to get this thread back on track, the jacking system has been added to the tower crane. Disassembly is imminent.

I'm gonna miss this buddy.
net222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #49460
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

This building is glittering like a diamond in the New York City skyline.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center