daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4941
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Just wish they were building 2.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4942
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I have to agree with this comment. The Spire is actually the tower that setting records not only in the U.S. but also in the world. Also, unless FAA regulations are changed no tower built in the U.S. can be taller (FAA limits the height of buildings to 2000'). Freedom Tower doesn't set any records in either category. The Spire is also beautiful and innovative, things Freedom Tower isn't.
The FAA limit is easily breakable, with as little as space necessity and contruction area. It just more burocracy to go through, and for the spire, 2000 feet were plenty.

As for the FT, I think it will be equally famous but for other (obvious ) reasons. Let alone the fact that New York has many more turists than Chicago.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4943
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

The south core of the FT rose today. Looks very uneven compared to the north core which hasn't moved for almost decade now. But good news anyway, it rose this afternoon and for first time we see hole at the east side of the south core.

South west corner of the site cleared for progress.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4944
NewYorkForever2016

Likes (Received): 0

yes it has, it looks like the south core's above street level now!

New York Freedom Tower (1 World Trade Center) Vs Shanghi World Finance Center + With Poll : Go to
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691670

Obama/Biden 2008
NewYorkForever2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #4945
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

looks like our construction guys moving today from the top of old PATH station. good sign
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4946
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
The FAA limit is easily breakable, with as little as space necessity and contruction area. It just more burocracy to go through, and for the spire, 2000 feet were plenty.

As for the FT, I think it will be equally famous but for other (obvious ) reasons. Let alone the fact that New York has many more turists than Chicago.
what does tourist have to do with these towers ? dont kid yourself, the freedom tower wont be any where near famous as the Chicago Spire. its just going to be known because of what happend on the site. OFF topic
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #4947
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
I'd love the idea of a 2000 foot tower somewhere on this here island. I doubt we can go that high due to Laguardia being so close. I'm not really sure. Although it might be possible in Downtown...

Last edited by koolkid; June 24th, 2008 at 03:42 AM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #4948
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

I don't think Laguardia would have much effect. In my heart I would like NY to throw up a record breaker like in the old days. But in today's world with so many wealthy cities the title will be short lived (just look a Dubai).

That said, NY needs some 2,000 footers!
Indiana Jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #4949
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I don't think Laguardia would have much effect. In my heart I would like NY to throw up a record breaker like in the old days. But in today's world with so many wealthy cities the title will be short lived (just look a Dubai).

That said, NY needs some 2,000 footers!
unfortunately the chance of that happening is 1% because of nearby airport
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #4950
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I hate to break it to you for the 100th time (sorry for the people who just can't accept it), but this tower is breaking records in the US and world as the tallest office building ever, and also as a part of the largest office complex in the world. Stating that tower X will be more popular/famous than tower Y is simply a sign of ignorance and no more than piffle.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #4951
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Nobody can predict how easy it would be to break the FAA limit since nobody has ever tried. Other than the Spire nobody has even approached it. I do know however at least one project in Las Vegas died because of height limits imposed on them by the FAA.

Hopefully sometime soon we'll see somebody break through the 2000' barrier in the United States like it has been elsewhere.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #4952
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Seriously, what the hell does the CS and FAA height restrictions have to do with the construction of the Freedom Tower? It's nice to come visit the thread and read that progress is being made on the core of the building, but three posts later there is something about the CS, BD, or FAA height restrictions, this is getting so old it's not even funny anymore. This does not happen in any of the other high profile threads nearly as often and as soon as they do, mods are there to clean it up. Enough please, take it somewhere else!

i guess tomorrow morning I will have to check the Earthcam to se what everyone is talking about.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #4953
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
The wealth of a city has very little to do with the tall towers. The three richest cities on the planet are Tokyo, New York and London in that order. Yet many cities with GDP's many times lower have taller towers.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #4954
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
Seriously, what the hell does the CS and FAA height restrictions have to do with the construction of the Freedom Tower? It's nice to come visit the thread and read that progress is being made on the core of the building, but three posts later there is something about the CS, BD, or FAA height restrictions, this is getting so old it's not even funny anymore. This does not happen in any of the other high profile threads nearly as often and as soon as they do, mods are there to clean it up. Enough please, take it somewhere else!

i guess tomorrow morning I will have to check the Earthcam to se what everyone is talking about.
Well, it started with this post, which is already comparative in nature:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward77x View Post
The Freedom Tower will be the greatest skyscraper in the world no matter what!!! :-)
Naturally, people will be inclined to mention other buildings in their contrary opinion. So yeah, we should get back on topic but have some understanding and relax a little
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4955
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

From flickr by jebb
Uploaded on June 22, 2008

Might they be old?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4956
helghast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I hate to break it to you for the 100th time (sorry for the people who just can't accept it), but this tower is breaking records in the US and world as the tallest office building ever, and also as a part of the largest office complex in the world. Stating that tower X will be more popular/famous than tower Y is simply a sign of ignorance and no more than piffle.
it wont be the tallest office building for to long , great pics Densetsu
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #4957
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

No one can say that at this point because there are no competitors.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4958
helghast

yes there is, hate to say it but Dubai is planning a 600m office tower
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #4959
SkysApopa
Me gusta el té de menta

Likes (Received): 233

I like this project because it's the new begin for new york
Like Fenix Bird

Greetings from El Salvador
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4960
poiman

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erektion View Post
The fact is, it's on its way and that's fantastic!
no, it's not fantastic at this speed.
poiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center