daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #50041
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Lets discuss about the beacon and what we should expect on Wednesday. Is this thing going to be bright as we think it will be.. casting a trail of light in the sky for miles? Or just a bright white light on top of the tower? I'm pretty skeptical and prolly going to be disappointed.
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #50042
DELL181
Skyscraper Capital

Likes (Received): 281

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower From Liberty State Park by Jersey City Project, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_SG_2013_09_New_York_0013_IMG_0156 by _SG_, on Flickr

little universe, Swiddle liked this post
DELL181 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #50043
DELL181
Skyscraper Capital

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post
Lets discuss about the beacon and what we should expect on Wednesday. Is this thing going to be bright as we think it will be.. casting a trail of light in the sky for miles? Or just a bright white light on top of the tower? I'm pretty skeptical and prolly going to be disappointed.
If you've ever seen the beacon on the Eiffel tower than it would be something similar to that it may just be brighter and stronger, as to the lightning up on Wednesday not sure, a probably...
DELL181 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #50044
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL181 View Post
If you've ever seen the beacon on the Eiffel tower than it would be something similar to that it may just be brighter and stronger, as to the lightning up on Wednesday not sure, a probably...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY23M2LUCUU
Even if its this bright, that'd be great. I wonder if thing is going to be lit every night, all the time, or just special occasions. Whatever it is, Wednesday is going to be great.
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #50045
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
great...thatīs around the corner of my hometown, just 20km away from it. when i first saw the "tower" (actually itīs just 45m high) in spring 2010 i thought itīs a nice little WTC...but hell, itīs a landmark in Villingen-Schwenningen

BTW...when will they start with the cladding of the base of the REAL WTC???
Is it by SOM too ?....)
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #50046
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2043

No, German based JSK Architekten.
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #50047
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
great...thatīs around the corner of my hometown, just 20km away from it. when i first saw the "tower" (actually itīs just 45m high) in spring 2010 i thought itīs a nice little WTC...but hell, itīs a landmark in Villingen-Schwenningen

BTW...when will they start with the cladding of the base of the REAL WTC???
Like the fact that this tower's tapered sides goes all the way up to the top .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #50048
VIP123

Likes (Received): 261

Tower look like built in 2013 & spire look like built in 1913.

CF221 liked this post
VIP123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #50049
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP123 View Post
Spire looks like it was built in 1913??? I feel your discouragement about the radome, but I do not understand how the spire looks like it was made in 1913 or 1930 as others have compared before. Please list me an example of a spire from 1913 that remotely resembles this spire.
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #50050
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP123 View Post
You wish it was built in 1913...

nycaddict, iamtheSTIG, L.A.F.2. liked this post
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #50051
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union.SLO View Post
No, German based JSK Architekten.
I bet they wanna grow big and become like SOM one day.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #50052
VIP123

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Spire looks like it was built in 1913??? I feel your discouragement about the radome, but I do not understand how the spire looks like it was made in 1913 or 1930 as others have compared before. Please list me an example of a spire from 1913 that remotely resembles this spire.
It was just an example.What i mean was that for such a futuristic designed tower it's spire looks much older & out of place.
VIP123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #50053
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAmanita View Post
Am I invisible here? Another female skyscraper-fan here
My apologies LadyAmanita, I haven't seen you around yet. I guess I don't spend too much time around here anymore.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #50054
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

A look at the status of the trade center's major components, according to developers:

Coming Year Will See Big Changes At WTC Site In NY
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=220675977

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Twelve years after terrorists destroyed the old World Trade Center, the new one is becoming a reality, with a museum remembering the attacks and two office towers where thousands of people will work set to open within the next year.

—The 8-acre memorial plaza with its twin reflecting pools where the World Trade Center towers once stood opened in 2011 on the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Nearly 10 million people have visited. Construction of the accompanying underground museum was delayed by a funding dispute between the memorial foundation and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey but officials say the museum will open in the spring. Sept. 11 artifacts including a mangled fire truck and the pieces of intersecting steel known as the Ground Zero Cross are already in place.

One World Trade Center, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is scheduled to be completed in early 2014. The 104-story building at the northwest corner of the 16-acre trade center site is topped by a spire that reaches the symbolic height of 1,776 feet. Its anchor tenant will be Conde Nast, the publisher of magazines including Vogue, GQ and Vanity Fair. A three-level observation deck called One World Observatory will open in 2015.

—Jumping the gun on its taller neighbor will be 4 World Trade Center, a 72-story, 977-foot building at the southeast corner of the site. Developers say it will open this November. Its main tenant will be the Port Authority, which owns the trade center site and lost its home when the twin towers fell.

—Just north of 4 World Trade Center is 3 World Trade Center, which is now a seven-story stub but will eventually reach 80 stories and 1,150 feet. Developer Larry Silverstein is required to lease at least 400,000 square feet of space before finishing the building. Silverstein is finalizing an agreement with GroupM, a media investment firm that is a division of WPP Group, for 515,000 square feet in the building. Assuming the lease is signed, the building should be completed in 2016.

—The last office tower planned for the 16-acre trade center site is 2 World Trade Center at the northeast corner. The 88-story skyscraper will not be built until the market improves enough to fill it.

—The transportation hub at the trade center is scheduled to be completed in 2015. It original cost estimate of $2.2 billion has been revised to $3.94 billion. It will connect 13 subway lines and PATH trains to New Jersey, serve 250,000 travelers a day and replace the temporary PATH station that was built after the attacks. There will be two levels of retail space.

—Plans for a performing arts center at the trade center have changed several times since the attacks. A board of directors was appointed last year and given the task of raising funds.

Swiddle, Thatonegirl liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #50055
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
It's not difficult to change shape of spire, just using ETFE material to install to the spire. ETFE is strong but light and cann't be burned.
image hosted on flickr

etfe của NanoMini, tręn Flickr

ETFE's used to build many buildings.
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgzRxroBwXhKL-usVt3C6f42IxHU6NlZLv0RCB81vRxqG4VVmlaQ[/IMG][IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyV-bckDLWnSQ6ZC0GBCJC09HmdKLuY5bLp6eMQEt8eh0v9EE2-Q[/IMG][IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxAFNZGeXw5fr06Ghce454u-l5YEO-HeOxBiPk5JojCN0NV0SZEQ[/IMG][IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSmXn9eS5OiTIq6jYO_45cYkgHUkCX6mW6TUSY78j74qcQLzCkyg[/IMG]

However, the present spire is not very bad. It's not necessary changing it.
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #50056
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4067

I don't know if this one has already been posted here but it caught my attention:

Quote:
Yahoo News photographer Gordon Donovan returned to the scenes of many memorable images taken on September 11, 2001, closely matching them with images from today. Since then, new obstacles have arisen, requiring some adjustments in camera angles to align with photographs taken on the day of the attacks. This is the third time Donovan has revisited the New York skyline; each year presents new challenges as the landscape changes.

OnePointWest, mrjoekalel liked this post
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #50057
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22507

i don't expect them to light the spire or beacon on the 11th as they haven't already said anything about it, not even any rumors (even if there are some they probably originated from either here or SSP)
I wonder if they're waiting for the building's opening?
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #50058
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 293

Plus the spire has all those ropes/cables hanging all over it. It would be nice if they would at least light the beacon.

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 88538 others disliked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #50059
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

orange boy, oli83, Gerard91, Swiddle liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #50060
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

exactly nycrulz.. That looks damn good. What pg did u have to find that old post? Any concerns of the base tying into the body..Looks damn good!!!

I should probably know this but on the 2001 render above, On Godius's post, where WTC 4 now stands, was that building destroyed?? Or is it simply behind the now taller 4? Or Is 4wtc in the footprint of that old bldg? And anyone know that "old" buildings name that was or is still there just not entirely visible? I'm thinking thats 7wtc that was destroyed,,but probably totally wrong.

Last edited by bigreach; September 10th, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center