daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM   #5021
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

This entire project is starting to run itself into oblivion! Delaying the completion is just going to raise the costs even farther. Material and labor costs both are increasing quite rapidly and every delay means the costs just increase. Not only that but the payback really falls apart because so much money is sitting there invested with no return until the project is completed.

As for the memorial, the cost is just ridiculous. Yes, it will symbolize a tragic event in American history but it's no more significant than many others and in reality will probably draw fewer tourists than those in Washington DC. The cost is more than double the cost of the WWII memorial and actually in my opinion will be nowhere near as beautiful.

The politicians need to get their heads on straight and get these projects on track as well as look at what measures can help reduce the costs. The more they talk and form committees the less they get done.

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM   #5022
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

well, you do realize that the majority of that cost for the memorial is probably the land. Also the Vietnam memorial was won by a college student, very famous now for it, but yes, maya lin won that competition in like her 3rd year of architecture school.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5023
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Not to ignite any fires, or add fuel to, the World Trade Center Memorial will cost $500 million to celebrate the lives of 2998 people, while the Vietnam War Memorial, representing the lives of 58,209 American soldiers cost only $18 million in today's dollars.

Something is wrong here. The families of 9/11 survivors have WAY too much power, its not like these people died fighting for their country.
Dont forget that it is Manhattan, which is pretty expensive.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5024
miami_sky_freak_71

Likes (Received): 17

To the people wanting to see the Freedom Tower rise quickly, They are gonna take their time on this building and do it right. This building is going to be a solid concrete and steel building and about one of the strongest if not the strongest ever built in the world.We need patience on this build i wanna see it done right.
miami_sky_freak_71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #5025
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Just saw this on the front page of USAToday.com: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-wtcsite_N.htm
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM   #5026
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
18 million in today's dollar's I said so in my post.
sorry, I missed that.

Quote:
The Vietnam Memorial is a true work of art; without spending a fortune, it remembers all the men and women who died. Building an over-extravagant, half billion dollar memorial in the center of lower Manhattan does not justify their deaths, nor will it ever fully appease any family 100%. What does matter is that something gets built that is not over the top and does not strain the schedule of Ground Zero completing its main objective, getting back on with business.

P.S.
I just finished reading the Wiki on the Oklahoma City Bombings Memorial. They have an "empty chair"(essentially a modern art sculpture built out of rusted steel) for each victim, and a reflecting pool......
At least it wasn't built directly in the center of the US's largest city.
please correct your post. you quoted the wrong person.
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5027
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_sky_freak_71 View Post
To the people wanting to see the Freedom Tower rise quickly, They are gonna take their time on this building and do it right. This building is going to be a solid concrete and steel building and about one of the strongest if not the strongest ever built in the world.We need patience on this build i wanna see it done right.
sorry but this is crap. there are many buildings around the world with similar height, strength, and complexity going up at a much faster pace.

IMO, this building should be going up the fastest. NYC(representing all of the US) should show the world that it can pick it self up quickly after being knocked down.
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM   #5028
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
well, you do realize that the majority of that cost for the memorial is probably the land. Also the Vietnam memorial was won by a college student, very famous now for it, but yes, maya lin won that competition in like her 3rd year of architecture school.
very good point.
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM   #5029
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

[QUOTE=Chicagophotoshop;22159135]sorry but this is crap. there are many buildings around the world with similar height, strength, and complexity going up at a much faster pace.

QUOTE]

Name me one that has a subway line running along the northern face of the building?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM   #5030
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post

Name me one that has a subway line running along the northern face of the building?
so the subway is what is making this go so slow? not buying it. subway is done as far as I know. the path line at least. listen, I love NYC. I'm just very disappointed that its going on 15 years to complete this site. I would think we can build stronger, better, and faster in the face of such a horrible viscous intentional destruction.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5031
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post

So it's the SUBWAY that's making this thing so hard to build? Are you trying to be funny or something?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM   #5032
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

the subway sure isn't making it easy. considering the northern half of the building has to cantilever over the trains, yes it is a little more difficult and time consuming. and not only that, the entire building is made out of steel wrapped in concrete, so yes it is a little more difficult and time consuming. this construction is unique in many ways so why would you expect conventional building process?
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5033
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

A fast food restaurant is stopping construction? How could that be?
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM   #5034
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

The random dissenting comments really throw this thread into turmoil. "It's never going to rise!", "THIS IS UGLY".

It's easier to ignore them than to count them as a legitimate topic to discuss.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5035
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jef View Post
The random dissenting comments really throw this thread into turmoil. "It's never going to rise!", "THIS IS UGLY".

It's easier to ignore them than to count them as a legitimate topic to discuss.
well what should be discussed? the core? the 1.5 completed floors (in 7 years)? the big hole in the ground?

its extremely disappointing to me that this is taking so long. and even more so with the recent article about budgets and time frames being thrown out the window. THIS IS UGLY!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM   #5036
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 714

Once a symbol of hope and renewal and now ....well really quite hilarious. What a costly boondoggle this has become, really I'm almost ashamed and embarrassed. Nearly 7 years and we have a floor and a half and not even a complete floor and a half. i wonder who's pockets are really being lined and why wasn't there a committee developed to expedite this project and get around all the bureaucracy. Heck if there was stock to buy in how long it would take to really get thing moving as it should have done I think a lot of us here would have invested. Change the name to the Dumbdumb Tower - please.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM   #5037
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
sorry but this is crap. there are many buildings around the world with similar height, strength, and complexity going up at a much faster pace.

IMO, this building should be going up the fastest. NYC(representing all of the US) should show the world that it can pick it self up quickly after being knocked down.
You show an inane amount of ignorance and disrespect towards this project. How do you have any idea what the exact methods of construction in those 16-acres will be? Name me another building being built nearly simultaneously with 3 other skyscrapers across the street, using extremely reinforced building methods which force the construction to be tedious. They aren't building this slowly just to aggravate you, trust me. They're making sure this is done right.

It's not a glass curtain that will go up in 6 months. New York is better than that. This project will be finished when it's finished, and it will be done right.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #5038
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
So it's the SUBWAY that's making this thing so hard to build? Are you trying to be funny or something?
Yes I am trying to be funny. And before you open your mouth go look at recent pictures. The northern core has yet to cantilever over the PATH tracks. So no the PATH tracks aren't done.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:18 AM   #5039
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

So...umm...kinda got awful news. This project has been seriously delayed...and may even be cancelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7483590.stm

Ground Zero rebuild plan scrapped

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise

The owner of the World Trade Center has abandoned the timetable for rebuilding work at the site of the 9/11 attacks, saying it was "not realistic".

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive director, Christopher Ward, listed over a dozen issues that had slowed work and raised costs.

New dates for the completion of a memorial, skyscrapers and a transit hub are expected to be issued in September.

It is unclear if the centrepiece Freedom Tower, will now be scaled back.

The tower, intended as a replacement for the destroyed Twin Towers, had been scheduled for completion in 2006 and then 2011, but the latest estimate is 2013.

At 1,776ft (541m) it would be the tallest building in the US.

'Emotional dates'

In a report to New York governor David Paterson, Mr Ward said: "The schedule and cost estimates of the rebuilding effort that have been communicated to the public are not realistic."

He said developers and government agencies would set new "clear and achievable timelines" by the end of September.

Mr Ward said the earliest rebuilding estimates in the wake of the 9/11 attacks were not truthful, referring to them as "emotional dates".

The deadlines for the redevelopment work have been moved several times.

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise as commodity prices soar and developers and government agencies wrangle over site plans.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #5040
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Hmmm. That's pretty interesting.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center