daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #50461
julian david
†=♥

Likes (Received): 848

te felicito
julian david no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #50462
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

Edit.

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 4th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #50463
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

Finally made it to the 9-11 Memorial yesterday..perfect day..took this pix of 1 WTC..AWESOME!
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #50464
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
Finally made it to the 9-11 Memorial yesterday..perfect day..took this pix of 1 WTC..AWESOME!
Nice, they're finally getting rid of the scaffolding around the base and filling in the window holes. The tower will look a lot more seamless once that's finished.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:47 AM   #50465
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
That statement makes no sense what-so-ever. There are tons of buildings around the world that "don't have public access" to the actual roof, but still have their height measured to the actual roof or roof of highest occupied floor.
I imagine he's confused about the definition of highest occupied floor. For anyone who's wondering, CTBUH's definition is:

Quote:
"This is intended to recognize conditioned space which is designed to be safely and legally occupied by residents, workers or other building users on a consistent basis. It does not include service or mechanical areas which experience occasional maintenance access, etc."
Unfortunately, that's not the definition they use to determine building heights as they factor into their world rankings. They go by Height to Architectural Top (including spires, but excluding antennae and functional-technical equipment), the wording of which has created the whole spire vs. antenna debate. Right now, it's much too vague what constitutes "functional-technical equipment" as opposed to, say, something functional-technical equipment might be mounted on.

It seems silly to me that this thing might be considered a spire now and count towards the 1776ft height, but as soon as they stick some broadcasting equipment on it, the height suddenly becomes <1400 -- but a reading of their definitions as currently worded might lead us to that.

I imagine that whatever they decide is the Architectural Top of the WTC, they'll clarify the language of their definitions to go along with it.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM   #50466
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

As for the total height I think it will be declared at least 1776 because of the occupyable capsule at the tip of the spire. Techincally speaking it is a floor thus its roof has to count. In other words the developers cheated. Now if the officials want to change the rules remains to be seen. I suppose they should change the rules since this will only encourage all builders to follow suit and distort the true meaning of a buildings height

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Agreed. Excuse my language, but Durst had the nerve to bitch about $20M meanwhile the Tower already costs $3.9B. The CTBUH shouldn't count it out of spite for altering the design not to mention an antenna is not an architectural element. The beacon may be an architectural element but the rest of the mast isn't. I think the problem was time. They probably wanted to wrap up work atop of the Tower in time for 2014.

Durst knows nothing about spires or antennas and how to maintain them. The architects and engineers who designed Tower One know a lot more and they wouldn't have proposed the radome design if they didn't think it could be maintained. It's just a horseshit excuse. They are a real estate company. Their focus is on acquiring tenants, not the appearance of the building. That's what the architects and engineers are for.

However, the Port Authority is the agency in charge of this Tower as far as the land goes so since they rarely have a clue on what they are doing most of the time so this is the result we get. I guess we really don't need the Tower to be 1,776' because first of all, they dropped the "Freedom Tower" name. It's name is One World Trade Center. 1776 was the year America gained it's freedom. This Tower does not represent freedom. It's too controlled by the Government. It represents America's resilience and healing the scar in the Manhattan Skyline.
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM   #50467
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

I think it should be counted as a spire and I know it will. Even Siri knows the tallest building in America is 1WTC, don't believe me just ask her! lol. 1WTC spire grew as part of the building structure. What antenna on top of a building weighs in tons. It was a spire since day 1. The only thing change about it is that now it has no skin except the very tip. Imagine if the original spire was up there, then 15 years later mother nature fo some reason destroyed he spire skin and then they just decide to not to repair it and just keep it naked. Is it still a spire or an antenna? Does that mean 1WTC decrease in height after the incident.

Nonoka liked this post
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:41 AM   #50468
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22577

damn, thought the beacon was lit. It's just the daytime warning lights on at night again.

also, earthcam's live camera of midtown is now facing south, it's a pretty good view of the Trade center.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/midtown/skyline/

net222, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; September 21st, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:19 AM   #50469
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

What is the strobe on right now? Is that the white FAA warning light? If so, why is it on now? The beacon wouldn't flash like that correct?
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM   #50470
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
What is the strobe on right now? Is that the white FAA warning light? If so, why is it on now? The beacon wouldn't flash like that correct?

Yeah, that's the FAA warning light now. When they light the Beacon, we'll know it for sure.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:53 AM   #50471
DELL181
Skyscraper Capital

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Yeah, that's the FAA warning light now. When they light the Beacon, we'll know it for sure.
Yep Looks like they're undergoing some tests of some sort on the warning lights, not the beacon, 4 Wtc now has a FAA red strobe light which had never went on until now that I'm seeing it on EarthCam
DELL181 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:26 AM   #50472
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22577

that light is atop the crane on top of 4 WTC, probably. I think it has something to do with building maintenance. idk though.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:52 AM   #50473
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

If NYC won the bid for 2012 Summer Olympics back in 2005, do you think that they would of speed the construction of 1WTC up to where it would of been done in early-2012 or before?
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM   #50474
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

Sorry if it had already been posted

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:36 AM   #50475
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

Alright, thanks guys. That's what I figured. Just making sure. And the lights on 4WTC look to be the FAA lights. There's on on the north side of 4 WTC and the south side. Pretty good shot here of both towers

Go to Hazecam.net and click on "Newark/NYC"
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:49 AM   #50476
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
Sorry if it had already been posted

Reminds me of this one taken 40 years ago, also when the towers were under-construction.

Old September 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM   #50477
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Pretty brave dancing 110 stories up and nothing between you and what appears to be a 1 metre safety rail
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:25 PM   #50478
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.
I hope the spire DOES get counted. I mean, it would only do David Libeskind justice. Because if 1776 feet isn't the official height, 1,792 feet will be the pinnacle height, and that's just an arbitrary number, and David Libeskind would receive no credit for his master plan. His vision itself wasn't that pretty, but he had great concepts.

Also, I think America's greatest building is more important than one boneheaded Douglas Durst. Sure, he put 1 WTC's official height in jeopardy, but don't we forgive? I think it would be really mean to expose his mistake to save money rather than to just overlook it. We all need money, and 15 million dollars or something is a great price.

And what would this building be without its spire! It would be a monstrosity! If they kept the randome, my username would be "Taipei 101" or "Shanghai Tower" rather than "onewtclover"! Imagine the building without its spire. It's not dominant. It looks cut off at one end. It looks ugly!

And competition shouldn't make this tower 1,368 feet or 1,373 feet or whatever. Let's face it: America's not that competitive right now with its buildings compared to the middle east or Asia, especially China. If we only have a 1,368 feet building, there wouldn't be much of a difference in height with the Nordstrom Tower or Hudson Yards. If it was 1,776 feet, America would at least be proud of one building that is in the world's top ten list!

But anyway, I don't want to make an argument or anything, and I respect your opinion, but I just want to say something about my favorite tower. And by the way, the CTBUH would probably count it anyway because if they didn't, it would be an embarrassment for me and Larry Silverstein, and maybe even for Durst! But I never new the decision date was November 8, so thanks for the info. I'm marking my calendar for the "big day".

wtcforever liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:26 PM   #50479
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Pretty brave dancing 110 stories up and nothing between you and what appears to be a 1 metre safety rail

They arent 110 stories up
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM   #50480
dean87
kedahsejahtera

Likes (Received): 5220

image hosted on flickr

Across the River by cpohi3, on Flickr

orange boy, onewtclover, Hudson11, j-biz, SJM and 14 others liked this post
dean87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center