daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #5041
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Looks like the author of the article took a little bit of an artistic license with the title.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:00 AM   #5042
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
At 1,776ft (541m) it would be the tallest building in the US.
lol
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM   #5043
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

To be honest, for the BBC, that's a shockingly poor article.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:03 AM   #5044
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69) View Post
So...umm...kinda got awful news. This project has been seriously delayed...and may even be cancelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7483590.stm

Ground Zero rebuild plan scrapped

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise

The owner of the World Trade Center has abandoned the timetable for rebuilding work at the site of the 9/11 attacks, saying it was "not realistic".

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive director, Christopher Ward, listed over a dozen issues that had slowed work and raised costs.

New dates for the completion of a memorial, skyscrapers and a transit hub are expected to be issued in September.

It is unclear if the centrepiece Freedom Tower, will now be scaled back.

The tower, intended as a replacement for the destroyed Twin Towers, had been scheduled for completion in 2006 and then 2011, but the latest estimate is 2013.

'Emotional dates'

In a report to New York governor David Paterson, Mr Ward said: "The schedule and cost estimates of the rebuilding effort that have been communicated to the public are not realistic."

He said developers and government agencies would set new "clear and achievable timelines" by the end of September.

Mr Ward said the earliest rebuilding estimates in the wake of the 9/11 attacks were not truthful, referring to them as "emotional dates".

The deadlines for the redevelopment work have been moved several times.

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise as commodity prices soar and developers and government agencies wrangle over site plans.

PATHETIC!!!

In the time that it takes for New York to build a couple of supertalls, the rest of the world will built dozens of them. It's a sad day in the once "skyscraper capital of the world".
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:08 AM   #5045
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatur View Post
lol
i lol'd too. Somebody needs to get out and see USA
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #5046
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

^Don't worry because that article is simply a load of bull. And so is comment 5050. All of the skyscrapers are still fine, It's the rest of the project that's in question. And this place, after all, is SSC. I've spoken with someone on the project and there is no chance of downsizing no matter how bad things get. To add, how could they redesign a skyscraper that's already a few floors high and going up, not even stopped. Of all of the projects at the WTC, this "delay" has the least impact on the Freedom Tower.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #5047
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veseу View Post
You show an inane amount of ignorance and disrespect towards this project. How do you have any idea what the exact methods of construction in those 16-acres will be? Name me another building being built nearly simultaneously with 3 other skyscrapers across the street, using extremely reinforced building methods which force the construction to be tedious. They aren't building this slowly just to aggravate you, trust me. They're making sure this is done right.

It's not a glass curtain that will go up in 6 months. New York is better than that. This project will be finished when it's finished, and it will be done right.

so you believe this is going slow because they are taking their time and making sure its done right? ok good I hope so. I'm still disappointed that its still mostly a big hole in the ground after 7 years of clean up and construction.

maybe my standards are too high. I expect more from new yorkers.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #5048
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Yes I am trying to be funny. And before you open your mouth go look at recent pictures. The northern core has yet to cantilever over the PATH tracks. So no the PATH tracks aren't done.
some are. I took the PATH 5 times to that exit from jersey city last week.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM   #5049
Ebola
BANNED

How could anyone expect more? It's the largest skyscraper project in the US and biggest office complex in the world? Why is a small delay causing negativity? Because of 130 Lib. problems, because of extreme construction worker/equipment demand elsewhere this city w/ eco problems and rising costs, because of the T2 prep delay, partly caused by the T3 prep delay, because of the size increase/redesign of Towers 3 and 4, because of substructure redesigns, how could we not see this a new schedule coming? Were we blind? Well that's always true for most people here.

Well it's better that, no matter what, we ARE getting four massive supertalls and a plethora of other amazing skyscrapers, even if it takes longer, and better that we don't CURRENTLY have three small, fat towers with a birdcage as the centerpiece (even though the old FT would have been great anywhere else in NYC, just not at the WTC). Keep the redesigns and delays coming. At least the tallest tower is rising.

Last edited by Ebola; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #5050
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The delays stated in this 'new' report are not new. They were known to anyone who kept up with the construction of the site. The media just happens to find it out, only 3 months late.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #5051
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
So...umm...kinda got awful news. This project has been seriously delayed...and may even be cancelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7483590.stm

Ground Zero rebuild plan scrapped

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise

The owner of the World Trade Center has abandoned the timetable for rebuilding work at the site of the 9/11 attacks, saying it was "not realistic".

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive director, Christopher Ward, listed over a dozen issues that had slowed work and raised costs.

New dates for the completion of a memorial, skyscrapers and a transit hub are expected to be issued in September.

It is unclear if the centrepiece Freedom Tower, will now be scaled back.

The tower, intended as a replacement for the destroyed Twin Towers, had been scheduled for completion in 2006 and then 2011, but the latest estimate is 2013.

'Emotional dates'

In a report to New York governor David Paterson, Mr Ward said: "The schedule and cost estimates of the rebuilding effort that have been communicated to the public are not realistic."

He said developers and government agencies would set new "clear and achievable timelines" by the end of September.

Mr Ward said the earliest rebuilding estimates in the wake of the 9/11 attacks were not truthful, referring to them as "emotional dates".

The deadlines for the redevelopment work have been moved several times.

The project's initial $14bn (£7bn) budget has continued to rise as commodity prices soar and developers and government agencies wrangle over site plans.
not surprised, they should just build the freedom tower and make the rest of the area green
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM   #5052
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

At 1,776ft (541m)

it would be the

tallest building in the US.

I beg to differ!!!

--courtesy of ChicagoArchitecture.info

Last edited by choyak; July 2nd, 2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: 'I EBG TO DIFFER' -- I oatmealed it!!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:16 AM   #5053
Ebola
BANNED

Are people that retarded? I can't accept it.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:34 AM   #5054
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Neither can I...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
well what should be discussed? the core? the 1.5 completed floors (in 7 years)? the big hole in the ground?
7 years of construction? You're saying construction automatically took off 3 months after 9/11? You're an idiot...
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM   #5055
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Neither can I...

7 years of construction? You're saying construction automatically took off 3 months after 9/11? You're an idiot...
easy on the insults buddy. its been over 7 years since wtc was destroyed. clean up/construction. feel better now?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM   #5056
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
I'm glad to see that the reporters for the BBC are no more competent than the reporters for AP. AP reporters reported that the proposed American Commerce Center would be america's tallest in its only going to be 1500' tall. It certainly looks like the reporters need to start reading a little more before writing!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #5057
Ebola
BANNED

^ One thing you must accept about being a skyscraper nut is that, alas, pretty much no one else in the world cares; it's only us, and sometimes even we don't want to care, like now. It's also really hard to make people super passionate about skyscrapers, even if they are close to you. I've tried and failed so many times.

Last edited by Ebola; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM   #5058
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
^ One thing you must accept about being a skyscraper nut is that, alas, pretty much no one else in the world cares; it's only us, and sometimes even we don't want to care, like now. It's also really hard to make people super passionate about skyscrapers, even if they are close to you. I've tried and failed so many times.
I know exactly what you mean. Most of my family and friends just nod politely and stare right through me when I talk about skyscrapers.

As for this project, I really dont mind that it seems to be taking longer than normal. This may be because I'm feeling a little sad that Trump Tower in Chicago is almost T/O. Sure it will be nice to be done, but I find the construction process interesting and exciting.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #5059
Ebola
BANNED

Yeah, that's exactly it. At the first time, they always seem to be really into it and may say stuff like "Wow" or ask questions, but that stops quickly; then it's like you're talking to a wall. Sometimes you just don't stop talking because you know the person hates it and it's you're way of getting revenge. It makes you so isolated. It feels like you're the only pro-tower person on the planet sometimes. And you're right about how when certain buildings reach certain stages you just can't help it; you want to express something but it's like you're surrounded by NIMBYs. I doubt anyone around me knows FT is above grade now because it just doesn't get through anymore.

Last edited by Ebola; July 2nd, 2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM   #5060
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

This is what happens when the government gets involved. This tower will never get built it seems like. I agree with what Ray Nagin said: "five years later and you guys still have a hole in the ground." Well, more like seven now. Oh and I think seven years is a lot more than a "small" delay Ebola. Prove me otherwise.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center