daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #50681
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

They were also very wrinkly.

But back on topic. Does anyone know why they're testing it? Are they going to light it up for New Year's? Or are they going to light it up Monday night, like TheCap'n said?
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #50682
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
And I have a question: Will the building itself be lit up red?

Reflection is not a physical phenomenon reserved for daytime.

Kanto liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #50683
southernboy
Free Spirit

Likes (Received): 29

I have to say the spire looks absolutely amazing when fully lit. Is this going to be the permanent way they light it in future? I sure hope so. It looks magnificent! It looks better lit than it would have with the radome in my opinion. 1WTC has grown on me more every day. Even without 2WTC & 3WTC it looks amazing & anchors the sky on it's own. But I still look forward to it's neighbors being build too. Three quick questions:

1.) Any idea when they will start lighting the whole spire like that permanently?
2.) When will the east side external elevator be coming down or is it already being dismantled?
3.) Anyone (perhaps Otie) know if they plan on lighting the mechanical floors at night also?

Kanto liked this post
southernboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #50684
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

If anybody knows when the antenna will be lit permanently, it's Cap'n. Only thanks to his info did we catch so many beautiful shots of the test

wtcforever liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #50685
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

I read earlier in the forum that the PA will not light the spire every day because of the cost. hopefully theyll change their minds

southernboy liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #50686
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
I have to say the spire looks absolutely amazing when fully lit. Is this going to be the permanent way they light it in future? I sure hope so. It looks magnificent! It looks better lit than it would have with the radome in my opinion. 1WTC has grown on me more every day. Even without 2WTC & 3WTC it looks amazing & anchors the sky on it's own. But I still look forward to it's neighbors being build too. Three quick questions:

1.) Any idea when they will start lighting the whole spire like that permanently?
2.) When will the east side external elevator be coming down or is it already being dismantled?
3.) Anyone (perhaps Otie) know if they plan on lighting the mechanical floors at night also?
1.I dont know 2.external elevator will not be removed until conde fits out the floors-early to mid 2014. 3.I dont think the mechanical floors will be lit at all
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #50687
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

My favorite picture is actually the one with the old couple who are staring straight up at 1wtc. It's my favorite because of its subtle and overlooked symbolism. When they were kids, they probably ventured a few times into the old brick neighborhoods where the World Trade Centers were built; and who knows, they might have also had family friends who lived in the area. That old couple probably witnessed the Twin Towers' rise with the same look of awe as they watch the rise of 1 WTC. It's beautiful, inspiring and moving, yet quite sad how people seem to neglect this powerful symbolism.

Kanto, CCs77, nycaddict, DarkLite liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #50688
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

oh yeah. forgot to post this for my 500th post

Joshua Dodd liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #50689
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
I read earlier in the forum that the PA will not light the spire every day because of the cost. hopefully theyll change their minds
Well that's a shame. But I guess that makes sense considering hard economic times and cash strapping across the board.

wtcforever liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #50690
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

I assume they will light it each night. Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to install all those lights with color schemes and the beacon and not light it nightly? So I assume it will be lit nightly like Conde Nast, BoA, ESB.

Kanto, TheCap'n liked this post
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #50691

Likes (Received): 368

Orange and purple on Halloween?

NewYorkSkyline117 liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #50692
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Not sure if that's a joke that it won't be lit every night, if that was a joke, its far from funny.

Patel Patik liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #50693
southernboy
Free Spirit

Yea guess it makes sense if it's that expensive to light it every night. But if they can light the ESB every night seems they could light the WTC too. Hopefully they can do it. It looks so amazing when fully lit wow! I'd be fine with them not lighting the mechanical floors too if they just lit the entire spire at night it would look amazing. But maybe someone on here can answer for sure..

I think the tower will bring a TON of money in with the Observation deck those views are simply amazing! Will be a major attraction.

NYdude, Joshua Dodd liked this post
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #50694
sgollis

Likes (Received): 20

I believe they are all LED lights, so they shouldn't be that expensive to have on every night.

TheCap'n liked this post
sgollis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #50695
NYdude

Yeah, last I heard, the plan was to light the spire every night. This has just been tests. It seems they wanted to get attention last night. Not sure if that means anything
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #50696
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
1.I dont know 2.external elevator will not be removed until conde fits out the floors-early to mid 2014. 3.I dont think the mechanical floors will be lit at all
Though Conde Nasty won't need the elevator to be above the floors they will occupy so I expect the top to be elevator free sooner than that

Btw, I can't imagine them not lighting the antenna each day. It would be just too much of a waste of money to instal such sofisticated LED lighting and then not use it. It would not make any sense

wtcforever, TheCap'n, Swiddle liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #50697
NYdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Though Conde Nasty won't need the elevator to be above the floors they will occupy so I expect the top to be elevator free sooner than that

Btw, I can't imagine them not lighting the antenna each day. It would be just too much of a waste of money to instal such sofisticated LED lighting and then not use it. It would not make any sense
Totally agree. Why would they do all that to not light it nightly? Doesn't make sense as you said.

Kanto, TheCap'n liked this post
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #50698
southernboy
Free Spirit

I feel sure they plan on lighting the whole spire nightly eventually. It looks too damn good not to! The observation deck will be a major attraction. I'll also be interested to see who will be the tenants on the remaining floors, the 70th-90th floors. According to onewtc.com/leasing, those floors are still open for leasing. I'll be interested to see if those floors are lent out to several companies, or if one or two claim them all. At any rate, in just a few years, this tower will be a major hub & the tragedy of the past can finally start to subside hopefully, in favor of positive things there again!

Kanto liked this post
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #50699
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22577

it'll be like this on non-special occasions, though probably dimmer.

NYdude, CCs77, Joshua Dodd, Kanto liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #50700
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

If they can scrap the randome, is it possible that they take the money that Durst DIDN'T take from scrapping the randome and use it for the lighting?

And they're not testing it tonight...

By the way...

FACE IT, ANTENNA HATERS! YOU LOVE THIS ANTENNA!

I never doubted this antenna. I think it represents the suffering of the people in America. Like a tree, in the winter. The base represents the tree in the spring. That we're rising from the ashes. The main structure represents how we've moved on, and how happiness and good prospers over evil. The triangular faces point to the future.

Last edited by onewtclover; September 29th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center