daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM   #5061
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

So what is the official news? Are they really delaying the construction again?
It is a shame it’s taking so long. This is a beautiful project, I guess they should have hired the Pentagon contractors to do it.

As it stands now the chances are that even Tall Tower (Al Burj) might get finished before this one.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #5062
deez

Likes (Received): 2

So as of midnight last night, the friggin Concrete Union went on strike. That includes the major supplier of concrete for the Freedom Tower. Go ahead and throw that into the delay mix too. The drivers, who currently make 33/hr, now want 38/hr to drive their little trucks full of cement to the site and loaf around while they unload their cement into another machine. You have got to be kidding me. We should do a worker swap, just for a month or two. Get all of those worker ants in Dubai over here, and ship out our labor over there. That'd be quite the awakening.
I've been neutral on this whole construction debacle until now. This is just the icing on the cake. This whole project is a molasses nightmare/joke. Fire everyone and start over.

deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #5063
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
easy on the insults buddy. its been over 7 years since wtc was destroyed. clean up/construction. feel better now?
Lets see. September 11, 2001. Seven years would be September 11, 2008.

So no it hasn't been over 7 years. More like 6 years 9 months and 20 days.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #5064
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

The best thing that could happen right now is the entire site being turned over to a private developer. Less delays, less bureaucracy.

Maybe someone can clear something up for me. Is the land owned by the Port Authority and the buildings owned by Silverstein? Or is the entire thing a government job?
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #5065
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Lets see. September 11, 2001. Seven years would be September 11, 2008.

So no it hasn't been over 7 years. More like 6 years 9 months and 20 days.
and 12 hours, 41 minutes, and 39 seconds.

and you arent the least bit disappointed that this hasnt even come above ground in 6 years, 9 months and 20 days? take trump chicago for example. a building was completely removed and a 90 something tall building is about to be topped out. yes the WTC site is much more sensitive, complex, etc etc. but come on. I expect more from new yorkers and as an american feel a sense of pride if this was able to be built fast, bigger, and better.

Last edited by Chicagophotoshop; July 2nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Chicagophotoshop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #5066
gt2437

Likes (Received): 0

Is the earthcam down for good? Anyone have an update about it?

I liked checking that one :-(
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM   #5067
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to NYC in the summer or 2010....so does anyone have an idea how far along this will be?
the towers will not be nearly completed by then. although there will be superstructure work, maybe 40-70 floors of construction on the Freedom Tower
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM   #5068
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to NYC in the summer or 2010....so does anyone have an idea how far along this will be?
the towers will not be nearly completed by then. although there will be superstructure work, maybe 40-70 floors of construction on the Freedom Tower
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5069
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Quote:

and you arent the least bit disappointed that this hasnt even come above ground in 6 years, 9 months and 20 days? take trump chicago for example. a building was completely removed and a 90 something tall building is about to be topped out. yes the WTC site is much more sensitive, complex, etc etc. but come on. I expect more from new yorkers and as an american feel a sense of pride if this was able to be built fast, bigger, and better.
yea but this isnt nearly the same. First of all, its the equivelent of 5 trump towers (and classier towers than trump anyways) second, its 16 acres with underground shopping floors, giant underground parking, etc. Third, its the site of collapsed buildings, not demolished buildings. These are just a few reasons. and also, politicians got involved and ruined the hole project, so its been revised often.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5070
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
yea but this isnt nearly the same. First of all, its the equivelent of 5 trump towers (and classier towers than trump anyways) second, its 16 acres with underground shopping floors, giant underground parking, etc. Third, its the site of collapsed buildings, not demolished buildings. These are just a few reasons. and also, politicians got involved and ruined the hole project, so its been revised often.
yes I understand my comparison isnt a great one but trump is almost done! and trump was built on a spot that hard a building there already. at whats at WTC? a train stop and foundation. thats all. my point was still made even with the trump comparison.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5071
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I'll bet the announcement as to the delay was probably delayed.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5072
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

Has it ever occured to you that the design selection process took a total of 3 years?

Expect more from New Yorkers? lol. What kind of shit is that? Are we some different kind of breed that more is expected from us?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM   #5073
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

About the delays and process, this is America. For the most part, the rest of the world get a skyscraper started within a few months. In America, it can take over a year to get a house approved and to start construction. I'm not sure if the IBC will effect the other countries and how long it takes to get things started. It's just we probably have the strictest building codes in the world and architects have a lot of running around and verifications that have to be signed off before anything can get underway.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM   #5074
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
About the delays and process, this is America. For the most part, the rest of the world get a skyscraper started within a few months. In America, it can take over a year to get a house approved and to start construction. I'm not sure if the IBC will effect the other countries and how long it takes to get things started. It's just we probably have the strictest building codes in the world and architects have a lot of running around and verifications that have to be signed off before anything can get underway.
Exactly. As I said before, they aren't building 1/4-mile high curtains. These buildings are going to be in the eyes of the world, and as long as it bears the name "World Trade Center" it will as well be in the eyes of those who will want to destroy it.

Could they build them cheaper and faster? Yes, but for what? To save 2 years? It would greatly increase the risk destruction in the event of, God forbid, another devastating attack.

They're building it right. It will be done when it's done.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM   #5075
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Has it ever occured to you that the design selection process took a total of 3 years?
you tell me, is that a normal amount of time for something like this? maybe so. I have no problem with that. what disappoints me is that its taken almost 4 to do nothing more then complete a subway station and foundation.....only to announce this week that more delays are coming.

Quote:
Expect more from New Yorkers? lol. What kind of shit is that? Are we some different kind of breed that more is expected from us?
yes. I put new yorkers at a higher standard then most cities/people in america. you are the urban/financial/fashion/dining/etc/etc capital of this country. I expect more.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:37 AM   #5076
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
So as of midnight last night, the friggin Concrete Union went on strike. That includes the major supplier of concrete for the Freedom Tower. Go ahead and throw that into the delay mix too. The drivers, who currently make 33/hr, now want 38/hr to drive their little trucks full of cement to the site and loaf around while they unload their cement into another machine. You have got to be kidding me. We should do a worker swap, just for a month or two. Get all of those worker ants in Dubai over here, and ship out our labor over there. That'd be quite the awakening.
I've been neutral on this whole construction debacle until now. This is just the icing on the cake. This whole project is a molasses nightmare/joke. Fire everyone and start over.
I'm sure knowing construction unions they will cause many more headaches before this project is finished and probably a large portion of the delays can be blamed on them. Each one protects its own turf in won't help nor work with another one to make the work go faster. If an ironworker needs a 2x4 rather than getting it himself he'll wait half an hour for a carpenter etc. It's a wonder anything ever gets built in New York and Chicago because of the union situation in those cities, others are bad but those two are the worst.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:35 AM   #5077
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
you tell me, is that a normal amount of time for something like this? maybe so. I have no problem with that. what disappoints me is that its taken almost 4 to do nothing more then complete a subway station and foundation.....only to announce this week that more delays are coming.

yes. I put new yorkers at a higher standard then most cities/people in america. you are the urban/financial/fashion/dining/etc/etc capital of this country. I expect more.
perhaps if the outside world didn't put so much pressure into what should be built and how fast, then there wouldn't have been 3 years of trying to please everyone with the designs. and instead of making a schedule with these "emotional" dates that tried to please everyone, they could have made a realistic schedule without public outrage.

if you expect so much out of new yorkers to carry the burden that the whole US and even the world exaggerated then f* off

the fact that everyone thinks they should be involved because the attack was on "america" and not nyc, has stalled and delayed this more than anything else. hence so much government involvement and bureaucracy. so dont blame the new yorkers who you expect so much out of.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM   #5078
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Also, the slurry walls that make up the bathtub were almost entirely intact after 9-11, making the foundation even easier to build.

I don't mind it taking a long time to build but I find it a bit crazy when people start saying that the delays haven't been that bad. It seems like the main problem has been the highly incompetent PA
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM   #5079
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

Your pride my be hurt by your erection problems, but I promise our (New Yorkers) prides aren't by the FT's.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #5080
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
perhaps if the outside world didn't put so much pressure into what should be built and how fast, then there wouldn't have been 3 years of trying to please everyone with the designs. and instead of making a schedule with these "emotional" dates that tried to please everyone, they could have made a realistic schedule without public outrage.

if you expect so much out of new yorkers to carry the burden that the whole US and even the world exaggerated then f* off

the fact that everyone thinks they should be involved because the attack was on "america" and not nyc, has stalled and delayed this more than anything else. hence so much government involvement and bureaucracy. so dont blame the new yorkers who you expect so much out of.
the (new york) government, those involved in the aftermath of 9/11, emotional dates, workers, unions, businessmen, ARE new yorkers. I'm blaming the right people dont worry

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center