daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #5081
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Your pride my be hurt by your erection problems, but I promise our (New Yorkers) prides aren't by the FT's.
really that was a good one.

...your pride should be hurt. 7 years after the towers were destroyed, a hole still remains. that hurts. and I'm saying this as a guy who LOVES new york and its people. so tell me, what is there to be proud of?

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #5082
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

You have to admit that this is not an ordinary building site. It took months to clean up the debris, years to find remains, and years to find a winning design. Yes it is taking a while but I think we all just need a little more patience and in five more years we're going to have something that our kids will view the same way we viewed the twins. It'll be better in almost every way and we'll look back and wonder why we bickered over it for so long.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #5083
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
You have to admit that this is not an ordinary building site. It took months to clean up the debris, years to find remains, and years to find a winning design. Yes it is taking a while but I think we all just need a little more patience and in five more years we're going to have something that our kids will view the same way we viewed the twins. It'll be better in almost every way and we'll look back and wonder why we bickered over it for so long.
I'll give you that it took two years to clean up the debris. But it's been almost five years since then and look what's been done. Not much when you look at it that way is it? The bickering over the design was ridiculous and it still continues and there are far too many people (organizations) trying to lead the project so none of them are effective. Of course any project lead by a gov't agency and built in a strong union city is starting out with a big handicap!
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #5084
wpbutcher

Likes (Received): 478

Hi,has anyone heard any news about the Hi-def earthcam? It would be a shame if it has gone for good as it provided a good overview of the whole site.
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #5085
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

just wait, the camera is not off for the first time. it will work again
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5086
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

That webcam is gonna show the fastforward progress of the tower in the future right?

Like the one of burj dubai or aqua. (Although first minute of the video will be the very long long slow foundation work)
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #5087
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Since some of you think seven years is unacceptable here is a timeline of events from September 11 until the start of constrution:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4951346.stm

Last edited by ramvid01; July 5th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5088
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
SInce some of yoiu think seven years is unacceptable here is a timeline of events from September 11 until the start of constrution:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4951346.stm
how does this article somehow show 7 years is acceptable to have little progress done?

anyway, good article. silverstein definitely slowed things up but he, if anyone, should have the most say
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5089
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Construction work started on April 26th. That's only 2 years ago. The time between 911 and the 26th of April is filled with design changes and cleanup activities
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #5090
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I never knew there were fire burning in the debris for 3 months after the collapse. Not that I'm surprised...
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5091
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

where have you been after 9/11? on the moon? the burning fires and the intense heat in the debris have been in the news for a long time.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #5092
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 21

I was there 2 months after the towers fell.One could clearly see fires burning and smoke billowing.Especially from the Empire State Building.
Not just at the WTC site,but the entire area had debris and major damage evident everywhere.The task of cleaning up looked impossible at the time.
It's one thing to build a new building on a clean lot,but this is vastly different.
Not only the cleanup standpoint.But if memoery serves me correct,the original Twin Towers foundation had a lot of problems with slurry and liquifaction.
I would assume and hope they are taking every precaution for this foundation to be as stable as possible and able to withstand any event short of a cataclysm.
So if it means they have to progress at a painfully slow pace,then so be it.
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #5093
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbutcher View Post
Hi,has anyone heard any news about the Hi-def earthcam? It would be a shame if it has gone for good as it provided a good overview of the whole site.
The following webcam at rebuildgroundzero.org works fine
I believe it has a 1 min refresh rate
Sorry the images are not archived

http://www.rebuildgroundzero.org/mod...am/rgz_000.jpg

Last edited by unlinked; July 6th, 2008 at 09:11 AM.
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5094
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
Also, the slurry walls that make up the bathtub were almost entirely intact after 9-11, making the foundation even easier to build.
The slurry wall for more than half the site was replaced. Very little of the original was kept and the part that is still visible is being layered with another slurry wall.
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #5095
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
The slurry wall for more than half the site was replaced. Very little of the original was kept and the part that is still visible is being layered with another slurry wall.
I stand corrected then. I had seen from multiple sources that the slurry wall was mostly intact, so I had assumed that they did not rebuild most of it.

Anyway, I know that some people here hate it when people complain about the construction progess but I think we are all just eager to see NYC's skyline restored. Back in 2003 I was captivated by the design competition but my excitement has quickly turned to bewilderment as the mismanagement of the rebuilding process has unfolded.

Since the wait has been so long, I suppose it may be even more satisfying to see this tower rise.
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5096
Johannes867

Likes (Received): 15

I think that the speed of re-construction isn큧 too slow.
But what I큟 wondering how could the WTC 7 building be built so fast? The site is nearly the same (think no subways) Is it so much easier to build up smaller buildings faster?

Johannes
Bavaria - Germany
Johannes867 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5097
Roel

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes867 View Post
I think that the speed of re-construction isn큧 too slow.
But what I큟 wondering how could the WTC 7 building be built so fast? The site is nearly the same (think no subways) Is it so much easier to build up smaller buildings faster?
The former 7 WTC housed a power substation, which had to be restored as quickly as possible. Also, because of its location to the north, it wasn't part of the WTC redevelopment masterplan. That of course sped up the process substantially. Thirdly, financing 7 WTC wasn't that big of an issue I suppose.
Roel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #5098
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

I'm too lazy to get links, but 7 WTC lies on different zoning that PA was able to sign off pretty quick.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5099
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jef View Post
I'm too lazy to get links, but 7 WTC lies on different zoning that PA was able to sign off pretty quick.
This shows what many have been saying, the delays were due more to politics and Government interference than it was true construction issues. If governmental and other outside influences hadn't interfered the towers would be much farther ahead by now!
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #5100
ramvid01

Maybe however you would not get as tall of a building. Silverstein wanted to build 10 600 foot buildings.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center