daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #51121
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Perhaps, but that symbolic number should not be a reason for the CTBUH to break their own rules or to change the interpretation of them. The spire is mounted on the roof, not much different from the spires at Willes Tower or JHB, to name just two of the many buildings who have such features.

If these spires doe not count for these buildings, then they should also not count for WTC1. Just my two cents.
I'd like to see the CTBUH discount the antenna/spire as-is to send a message about developers "value engineering" the work of architects.

We are assuming the CTBUH ruling will be one of two options:

1) The structure is a spire, and counts toward the building's official "architectual height".

2) The structure is a functional antenna, not integral to the architectural design, and does not count in the building's "architectural height" measurement.

But I propose a third possible ruling, which would be controversial but send a strong message:

3) The structure is an unfinished spire. Since the spire's superstructure was build exactly as designed, but was not completed as intended with the addition of the decorative cladding, the structure is ruled to be "incomplete" and does not count toward the building's "architectual height". If completed per the original architect's design in the future, it will count toward the official architectural height.

This option is certainly well within the precedent of the CTBUH not ranking incomplete or under-construction buildings.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #51122
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Honestly, who gives a shit what this moron says? I'm so glad One World Trade Center is standing. It's not disrespectful to the victims in any way, shape, or form. It's a symbol of America's resilience. However, this clown does have freedom of speech so he can say whatever he wants and people can say how they feel about it, or they can just let it go. Either way this guy still finds a way to sleep at night knowing how many people he just pissed off.......
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #51123
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

If an antenna earns revenue for the building its on, it should be counted towards the building's height.

Whatever they want to call the steel structure on top of the glassed in portion of One World Trade Center, be it a architectural spire or a revenue generating antenna, it should be counted towards the height of the tower.

Last edited by Riley1066; October 28th, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #51124
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/27/us/gal...html?hpt=hp_c2 Found both of these pictures in that slideshow from CNN, thought it was a great comparison from a year ago until now.

[IMG]http://i39.************/307nd4h.png[/IMG]
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #51125
windowsofthe

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd13b View Post
Some of you, I'm assuming very young and immature, have issue with diversity of opinion in this room. Regardless how long One World Trade Center took to build, or how many men it took to build it, or how many people died on 9/11, it is of no relevance to the fact that the new tower may indeed be boring in appearance to some individuals. That doesn't make that individual disrespectful on any level. What is disrespectful are the names being used to describe such a person. Do I think the tower looks beautiful? I do. Do I think a tower being built to represent the dreadful occurrence that took place as well as America's freedom, strength, and resilience, could have been much more than what it is? Absolutely. Although beautiful in it's own rite, I too believe it could have been so much more in both appearance and statement. I, like MANY other New Yorkers and Americans feel the same way, so deal with it, because your childish name calling is not going to bully anyone into believing it's this masterpiece of architecture that should win awards.
Well put.

Aussieman62 liked this post
windowsofthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #51126
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

One WTC is a good looking building, there's no denying that. But when you look at other supposedly "landmark" buildings being constructed in other countries, One WTC pales in comparison. It's not visually audacious at all, and really nothing about it catches your attention besides its height. All in all, it's just meh. Not ugly enough to scream "tear it down!" but at the same time not good looking enough to tell everyone to go see it. It's also the poster boy for value engineering.

Joshua Dodd, Aussieman62 liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #51127
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Poster boy with $4 B cost??? Lol

The only part that ciould be considered arguable a victim of value engineering is the spire! The NYPD is responsible for the change in the podium.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #51128
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

This is one of the reasons why I stopped posting on this page, because of this lack of respect and maturity toward opposing views that conflict with your own. Seriously, grow up. This bickering has literally ruined this forum for me. And this constant disparagement, and even claims of a person being a "troll", simply based on opposing views is very authoritarian in its nature. And how you attack these people is even more repulsive. While you're trying to maintain the value of this skyscraper's beauty, you're serving as terrible representatives. What happened to being liberally minded?

Swiddle, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #51129
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Unlike many other cities/countries putting up trophy buildings for status only, NYC had to base this building on economics and not the show-off factor. Two new twins would have been cool. Maybe one with a roof height of 1776. But they can't even get a lead tenant for towers 2 and 3. No way a WTC1 twin would have a tenant at this time. All the supertalls going up in NYC now are condos. Most of the proposed supers are also condos. The WTC complex didn't and won't contain condos. The result, what we got now. I like it.

Nonoka, Aussieman62 liked this post
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #51130
Joshua Dodd

My personal opinion is that the true star of this site will be 2WTC. Now THAT is a building with design! I cannot wait for it to start going up. It's a shame it hasn't already
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #51131
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Unlike many other cities/countries putting up trophy buildings for status only, NYC had to base this building on economics and not the show-off factor. Two new twins would have been cool. Maybe one with a roof height of 1776. But they can't even get a lead tenant for towers 2 and 3. No way a WTC1 twin would have a tenant at this time. All the supertalls going up in NYC now are condos. Most of the proposed supers are also condos. The WTC complex didn't and won't contain condos. The result, what we got now. I like it.
This is very true, and not only for New York, but cities across the United States.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #51132
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
This is one of the reasons why I stopped posting on this page, because of this lack of respect and maturity toward opposing views that conflict with your own. Seriously, grow up. This bickering has literally ruined this forum for me. And this constant disparagement, and even claims of a person being a "troll", simply based on opposing views is very authoritarian in its nature. And how you attack these people is even more repulsive. While you're trying to maintain the value of this skyscraper's beauty, you're serving as terrible representatives. What happened to being liberally minded?
What are u talking about me? I can't speak my mind and have a say with my opinion? Who the one lacking in maturity here?

Aussieman62, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #51133
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
By Jersey JJ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerseyjj/

image hosted on flickr
Interesting how it combines the Newark skyline with the New York skyline to make it look like one massive agglomeration of buildings.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #51134
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Yes, people can have unfavorable opinions on this building all they want.

But this isn't about 1 wtc or calling the author a troll.

He used immature and unprofessional words in that article.
Poking fun at Canadians and calling the building a betrayal, ironically, while trying to sound like a patriotic American is a no no.

Atleast show an once of respect for crying out loud.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

Nonoka, NYdude liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #51135
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
What are u talking about me? I can't speak my mind and have a say with my opinion? Who the one lacking in maturity here?
No, I am speaking about the hypocrisy I have witnessed here where people with opposing opinions have been chastised and even had their comments deleted on this forum. I am speaking of those people in general, not a single individual. If you should have the right to speak your opinion, then so should those you disagree with who have had their comments deleted, been called trolls, and even banned from commenting here. This has actually happened to me when I stated opinions of distaste for certain aspects of this tower, even though I like it overall.

Aussieman62 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #51136
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
No, I am speaking about the hypocrisy I have witnessed here where people with opposing opinions have been chastised and even had their comments deleted on this forum. I am speaking of those people in general, not a single individual. If you should have the right to speak your opinion, then so should those you disagree with who have had their comments deleted, been called trolls, and even banned from commenting here. This has actually happened to me when I stated opinions of distaste for certain aspects of this tower, even though I like it overall.
Got ya.. I could not figure out if it was directed at me. Logically that is what I had assumed since your comment was basically after mine.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #51137
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50761

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2341456...n/photostream/
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #51138
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Respectful criticisms of One World Trade Center beget respectful rebuttals.

Disrespectful criticisms of One World Trade Center (like Banksy's) beget disrespectful rebuttals.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #51139
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

last picture = nice panorama, but on left still not many skyscraper compare on right side manhattan area.
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #51140
getroy

Likes (Received): 2586

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/remonri...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/remonrijper/10530948723/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/remonri...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhadsall/10518083224/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelrnyc/10526515296/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rsutton1223/10515893643/

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center