daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #51141
Lino
'tou na lua...

Likes (Received): 4422

when is it ready?

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #51142
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28210

Somewhere in 2014? The site is not very specific.

http://www.wtc.com/about/freedom-tower
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #51143
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Why the hell are you all getting upset for? There's thousands of people out there who think the same. There are also thousands who think the opposite. He's just one of them whose opinion got in the newspaper. Architecture is art and art is subjective thing. Some people like it, some don't. But it's not worth getting all crazy because one personal opinion got into newspaper. It's not like this is the fact now and 1WTC is officially marked as an eyesore. It's just one personal opinion. I bet there's more people who like new WTC than those who don't.
I agree with much of your tekst, but not with the last part. I know from the internet and reality that there are many people out there who are unhappy about the current project and not just because it takes so long to build it. there were a few polls done, a couple of years ago, and it showed that always the majority didn't like the new WTC and rather wanted the Twin Towers back. So, I have to disagree with that one.

Also, I agree that the new tower doesn't look ugly, but it also doesn't look very special or unique. Because, this building looks like it could've been build anywhere.

But, once again this is a very subjective topic.
Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #51144
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

I actually like 1-WTC and the whole project itself. Yes I like the former twin towers but I find this new development impressive as you will have 6 towers sprouting up.

1-WTC is iconic in many ways as it proves that a destroyed icon can be rebuilt to something better and that this tower made NY regain it's position of have America's tallest building and that the country can still build towers of such height.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NYdude liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #51145
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50798

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #51146
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
I actually like 1-WTC and the whole project itself. Yes I like the former twin towers but I find this new development impressive as you will have 6 towers sprouting up.

1-WTC is iconic in many ways as it proves that a destroyed icon can be rebuilt to something better and that this tower made NY regain it's position of have America's tallest building and that the country can still build towers of such height.
Yep. To be honest, I think design itself is far from revolutionary as well, but I was with this building from the early start, I saw every little detail being built and when I remember all these years back, I think this thing is masterpiece.

It's all about the personal point of view.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #51147
antares031
Deadliest Duckling

Likes (Received): 732

Although the new design of the WTC looks great, I'm still missing the old twin towers.

(Done with photoshop, original picture was from the former page)

Twin supertalls. That's just epic.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #51148
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5621

Great photoshop.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #51149
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd13b View Post
Some of you, I'm assuming very young and immature, have issue with diversity of opinion in this room. Regardless how long One World Trade Center took to build, or how many men it took to build it, or how many people died on 9/11, it is of no relevance to the fact that the new tower may indeed be boring in appearance to some individuals. That doesn't make that individual disrespectful on any level. What is disrespectful are the names being used to describe such a person. Do I think the tower looks beautiful? I do. Do I think a tower being built to represent the dreadful occurrence that took place as well as America's freedom, strength, and resilience, could have been much more than what it is? Absolutely. Although beautiful in it's own rite, I too believe it could have been so much more in both appearance and statement. I, like MANY other New Yorkers and Americans feel the same way, so deal with it, because your childish name calling is not going to bully anyone into believing it's this masterpiece of architecture that should win awards.
Oh no, I don't have a problem wth difference in opinion. My issue is with his comment "104 floors of compromise?".

First off, the building's roof height is the exact same, with the pinnacle being higher than the original. Secondly, what the hell does the floor count have to do with anything? Just because the Aqua in Chicago has 4 more real floors than this doesn't mean jack squat, because it's over 500 feet shorter to the roof and not even half the pinnacle height. Then the author fails to mention that there are 3 more, not just one, major office buildings that will soon join it? There are only two options: Either the author is truly ignorant and asserting subjective claims on an issue he has no knowledge of whatsoever, or he's being innacurate on purpose, which is known as dishonesty. That's why I made my stement, and I'll gladly stand behind it.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #51150
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

WTC

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...opers_sued.php

Rain Drops liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 28th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #51151
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

nope, that's Manhattan

image hosted on flickr

Tribeca NYC by Strykapose on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; October 28th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #51152
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Aw shucks! Correction made.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #51153
Guy Noir

Likes (Received): 168

I don't think the shape of this tower really lends itself to twinning. The way it slopes in (depending on the view) is really a 'one pinnacle' design.

ThatOneGuy, A.J.B 22, pnapp1, Sirius2.0 liked this post
Guy Noir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #51154
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13256

from WTC Progress

potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #51155
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50798

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneequa...n/photostream/

A.J.B 22, Rain Drops liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #51156
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...d-trade-center

Banksy artwork takes a swipe at design of new World Trade Centre

After having an op-ed piece on the subject rejected by The New York Times the world-famous graffiti artist has done what he does best and attacked guerilla-style

Maev Kennedy

The Guardian, Monday 28 October 2013 17.09 GMT

A work of art offered by Banksy to his temporary home in New York is a scathing attack on the architecture of the new World Trade Centre – "that building is a disaster. Well no, disasters are interesting" – and a sideswipe at the New York Times for refusing to print his view.

During a month as New York's unofficial artist in residence, Banksy has been teasing his fans and tormenting the authorities with a daily revelation on his website of his latest gift to the city: most have survived just long enough for the fans to find and post selfies with them, before being painted over.

His latest shows a wall stencilled with the words "this site contains blocked messages", over a piece mocked up in The New York Times' distinctive typeface, headed "The biggest eyesore in New York is not the graffiti, argues Banksy, it's under construction at ground zero".
He explains: "Today's piece was going to be an op-ed column in the New York Times. But they declined to publish what I supplied. Which was this..."

The piece – illustrated with a silhouetted skyscraper overprinted in red with "replace with better artwork" – savages the new building, "and I say this as a friend", it is "a betrayal of everyone who lost their lives on September 11th because it so clearly proclaims the terrorists won…

"One World Trade Center is a non-event. It's vanilla. It looks like something they would build in Canada

"The attacks of September 11th were an attack on all of us and we will live out our lives in their shadow. But it's also how we react to adversity that defines us. And the response? 104 floors of compromise?"

Replacing the twin towers of the World Trade Center, which were destroyed in terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001, has been controversial from the start: some felt that the area – some of the most valuable commercial space in the world – should have been left empty as a memorial. An international design competition for the site was won by the renowned architect Daniel Libeskind, but his plans were drastically altered during the construction process.

Banksy wrote that the building, which is nearing completion, declares that the city's glory days are over. "You currently have under construction a one thousand foot tall sign that reads, 'New York – we lost our nerve'."

A spokesperson for The New York Times, Eileen Murphy, told the New York Post that the piece Banksy has published was not quite the same as the one he submitted to them. "We couldn't agree on either the piece or the art, so we did reject it," she said.

Manitopiaaa, snogglethorpe liked this post
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #51157
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6881

image hosted on flickr

Unbenannt von Lou F. auf Flickr
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #51158
okan_reyiz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 166

okan_reyiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #51159
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...d-trade-center

Banksy artwork takes a swipe at design of new World Trade Centre

After having an op-ed piece on the subject rejected by The New York Times the world-famous graffiti artist has done what he does best and attacked guerilla-style

Maev Kennedy

The Guardian, Monday 28 October 2013 17.09 GMT

A work of art offered by Banksy to his temporary home in New York is a scathing attack on the architecture of the new World Trade Centre – "that building is a disaster. Well no, disasters are interesting" – and a sideswipe at the New York Times for refusing to print his view.

During a month as New York's unofficial artist in residence, Banksy has been teasing his fans and tormenting the authorities with a daily revelation on his website of his latest gift to the city: most have survived just long enough for the fans to find and post selfies with them, before being painted over.

His latest shows a wall stencilled with the words "this site contains blocked messages", over a piece mocked up in The New York Times' distinctive typeface, headed "The biggest eyesore in New York is not the graffiti, argues Banksy, it's under construction at ground zero".
He explains: "Today's piece was going to be an op-ed column in the New York Times. But they declined to publish what I supplied. Which was this..."

The piece – illustrated with a silhouetted skyscraper overprinted in red with "replace with better artwork" – savages the new building, "and I say this as a friend", it is "a betrayal of everyone who lost their lives on September 11th because it so clearly proclaims the terrorists won…

"One World Trade Center is a non-event. It's vanilla. It looks like something they would build in Canada

"The attacks of September 11th were an attack on all of us and we will live out our lives in their shadow. But it's also how we react to adversity that defines us. And the response? 104 floors of compromise?"

Replacing the twin towers of the World Trade Center, which were destroyed in terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001, has been controversial from the start: some felt that the area – some of the most valuable commercial space in the world – should have been left empty as a memorial. An international design competition for the site was won by the renowned architect Daniel Libeskind, but his plans were drastically altered during the construction process.

Banksy wrote that the building, which is nearing completion, declares that the city's glory days are over. "You currently have under construction a one thousand foot tall sign that reads, 'New York – we lost our nerve'."

A spokesperson for The New York Times, Eileen Murphy, told the New York Post that the piece Banksy has published was not quite the same as the one he submitted to them. "We couldn't agree on either the piece or the art, so we did reject it," she said.
This guy's really starting to put me off....
Here's thee OpEd:

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

CompayEE liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #51160
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post

I know, but it rather stinks that the rest of the towers except for tower 4,
won't be completed very soon. So, it still leaves a hole in the skyline though!

The media attention around 1 WTC is exaggerated. I know the building looks hot and attractive with it's glass facade and all!
But, I have to agree that tower 2, 3 and 4 look really good as well. All of the towers share the same story and
are a big part of Libeskind's master plan and the realisation of it.

So, it is just sad to see that we have to look at this for the near future:

And not this:

The new WTC is nothing, if the rest of the towers are not completed!

I have to agree with Banksy. I just think that this new tower, alone, just doesn't
cut it; ''that it's replacing the Twin Towers''. But, to call the new tower ugly,
is a little bit harsh it seems.

A.J.B 22, Sirius2.0, Rain Drops liked this post

Last edited by Aussieman62; October 28th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center