daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #51701
MattSal
Architect

Likes (Received): 19

Official Release from the CTBUH:

http://ctbuh.org/LinkClick.aspx?file...language=en-US
MattSal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #51702
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
I'm not really that surprised. I figured that a ton of rich NYC lobbyists would push for this height to be official. It's nice that it doesn't lose it's symbolism, but it's a shame that it had to get its height the sneaky way. Ah well, since it's official now there really isn't more to be said.

Hopefully America will actually decide to build a structure with a roof height taller than the Willis tower's at some point in the near future. Meanwhile, China and the Middle East look at the spire-induced 1776 feet and laugh.

patrykus, Kanto, Dragon18, Rain Drops, CF221 liked this post
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #51703
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
Time for a DISLIKE button, it's really a mistake to count it to 1776/541.

This creates new standards.

Why even have a distinction between roof height/spire height.

After this decision we can just as well count all buildings, towers and masts to their absolute height.
I know this decision has/will make many people upset, but imo this does not create new standards at all.

My beef prior to this decision was Trump Chicago, 4 Times Squares of the world... if they counted them, then WTC should also be as it had been determined.

I had made an argument in the past and they stayed true to it as I expected.

A Spire must be a permanent feature and not something that could be put on and removed... just as they had determined with Trump Chicago, Bank of America & 4 Times Sq. Fair is fair. I always felt, the radom would not have been an issue.

If they decided otherwise, then they would have to change the official heights of those other towers mentioned.

4npower, Vito Corleone, A.J.B 22, HRP4Life liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; November 12th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #51704
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
I'm not really that surprised. I figured that a ton of rich NYC lobbyists would push for this height to be official. It's nice that it doesn't lose it's symbolism, but it's a shame that it had to get its height the sneaky way. Ah well, since it's official now there really isn't more to be said.

Hopefully America will actually decide to build a structure with a roof height taller than the Willis tower's at some point in the near future. Meanwhile, China and the Middle East look at the spire-induced 1776 feet and laugh.
As if China and Dubai don't have their fair share of big (cheating) spires.
Anyway, 1WTC is now officially the tallest, no surprise there.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #51705
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I know this decision has/will make many people upset, but imo this does not create new standards at all.

My beef prior to this decision was Trump Chicago, 4 Times Squares of the world... if they counted them, then WTC should also be as it had been determined.

A Spire must be a permanent feature and not something that could be put on and removed... just as the made with Trump Chicago, Bank of America & 4 Times Sq. I always felt, the radom would not have been an issue.

If they decided otherwise, then they would have to change the official heights of those other towers mentioned.
All of those sticks you mentioned look pretty silly and I wish they would go back and revise their criteria for what exactly constitutes a "spire."
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #51706
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

I think it was the wrong call. This just encourages developers to build vanity height and antennas rather than truly going taller. New York has six supertalls and of those six, 1WTC, New York Times Building and Bank of America Tower all have giant cheater spires! Is that the kind of city we want to be? Is that the kind of message we want to send out? Why don't we just build a 50ft building and attach a 3,000ft spire on top if that counts? All this does is give cover to developers who are too cowardly to design real towers. 1WTC is a beautiful building but it does not deserve to be called the 3rd tallest in the world imo

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

NYCrulz, Kanto, Dragon18 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #51707
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

http://ctbuh.org/LinkClick.aspx?file...language=en-US
Quote:
There is a required red FAA warning light located on top of the beacon, which itself is topped by a 16-foot lightning rod. Based on Mr. Childs’ explanation, the CTBUH Height Committee was satisfied that these elements could be considered “functional-technical equipment,” and thus did not factor in the “height to architectural top” calculation.
Quote:
The second issue at 1WTC was the location from which the 1,776-foot measurement had been taken. The building has four entrances, one on each side. Three of those entrances are flush with the 9/11 Memorial Plaza, which is level with the base of the original World Trade Center towers. These three entrances lead directly into the elevator lobby, while a fourth entrance is 5 feet, 8 inches lower than the lobby, on Vesey Street, due to the change in grade from south to north. If measured from this
point, the height to architectural top would have been 1,781 feet, 8 inches. Mr. Childs showed plans indicating that the main entrance of the building was the south entrance facing the 9/11 Memorial plaza, and that the north entrance at the lower elevation does not provide direct access to the elevators, but requires
negotiating steps or using a disabled-access lift to ascend to the lobby. To be considered “significant,” an entrance must “be predominantly above existing or pre-existing grade and permit access to one or more primary uses in the building via elevators.” Therefore, the lower Vesey Street (north) entrance was not considered “significant” by the committee.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #51708
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
All of those sticks you mentioned look pretty silly and I wish they would go back and revise their criteria for what exactly constitutes a "spire."
I totally agree with you. I'm a roof height man myself, but fair is fair because if WTC was not accepted, CTBUH would have to revise many many towers in their height figures.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #51709
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I think it was the wrong call. This just encourages developers to build vanity height and antennas rather than truly going taller. New York has six supertalls and of those six, 1WTC, New York Times Building and Bank of America Tower all have giant cheater spires! Is that the kind of city we want to be? Is that the kind of message we want to send out? Why don't we just build a 50ft building and attach a 3,000ft spire on top if that counts? All this does is give cover to developers who are too cowardly to design real towers. 1WTC is a beautiful building but it does not deserve to be called the 3rd tallest in the world imo
I don't see that trend continuing, at least not in New York. All the future supertalls (One57, 432 PA, 217W, 111W, Tower Verre, HY North etc.) have a flat roof and / or crown.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #51710
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2376

This bullshit is all like "A five foot girl with her 1'5" hair upright claiming she is taller than a six foot tall guy..." how nonsense!!!

I am saying this even so One WTC is my alltimefavorite tower, because it just doesn't seem and sound right

Makaveli96, Kanto, bigreach, Rain Drops liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #51711
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

What a shame. Oh well. Just goes to further emphasize the fact that the CTBUH is meaningless, especially when they dont even follow their own rules.

Kanto, Dragon18 liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #51712
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

WOOH WE WIN! IN YOUR FACE SEARS/WILLIS TOWER!

HRP4Life liked this post
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #51713
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
What a shame. Oh well. Just goes to further emphasize the fact that the CTBUH is meaningless, especially when they dont even follow their own rules.
Did you have the same outrage with the decision with Trump Chicago?

Thatonegirl liked this post
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #51714
NYCrulz

http://news.yahoo.com/one-world-trad...151407465.html

Quote:
What is the tallest building in America?

That question will hopefully be answered on Tuesday, when a group of 30 architects on the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's Height Committee is expected to announce the official ruling on the height of New York's One World Trade Center, which will determine whether Chicago's Willis Tower will continue to hold the tallest-building mantle.
At issue is the 408-foot spire at the top of the 1,776-foot One World Trade Center. Without it, the building would measure 1,368 feet, or 83 feet shorter than the 1,451-foot Willis Tower.

Critics say the spire atop the 104-story One World Trade is an antennae and should not be counted. (Willis Tower has a 278-foot antennae that is not counted in its official height.)

But architects for the yet-to-be-opened One World Trade Center say the spire is part of the building’s overall aesthetic appeal.

The Chicago-based committee will make its announcement at joint press conferences in New York and Chicago.
“What it really comes down to is this: What are we measuring?” Antony Wood, the council's executive director, told NPR earlier this month. “If we are measuring man’s ability to put materials above the plane of the Earth, then it should just be material, irrespective of what that material or function is. Or are we measuring man’s ability to put man above the plane of the Earth? Are we going with the highest occupied floor? Or something in between?”

The debate between the two cities has been a bit contentious.

"The Second City — apparently tired of looking up at New York — could be conspiring to steal the title of the nation's tallest building," the New York Daily News wrote last week.

"Forget the mast. Or antenna. Or spire. Or whatever you call your pole," Chicago magazine countered. "If you can’t stand on it, it is not part of the building."

This picture clearly shows One WTC is shorter, IMO.

King of Construction, Kanto, CF221 liked this post
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #51715
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
This bullshit is all like "A five foot girl with her 1'5" hair upright claiming she is taller than a six foot tall guy..." how nonsense!!!

I am saying this even so One WTC is my alltimefavorite tower, because it just doesn't seem and sound right

Yea but you can cut her hair (antenna) ! You can't cut her forehead (Spire).

Thatonegirl, HRP4Life liked this post
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #51716
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:

A Spire must be a permanent feature and not something that could be put on and removed... just as they had determined with Trump Chicago, Bank of America & 4 Times Sq. Fair is fair. I always felt, the radom would not have been an issue.

It's not exactly like you say. Spires of boxy towers are counted because they are architectural elements designed and included into the structure by architects. In the case of 1wtc the former spire was such element and should be counted. But "spire" like it is today is not an architectural element because it was not designed by architects it's merely a structure that was meant to support the actual architectural element. Of course we can see the ruling of ctbuh as well argumented since the tip of the antenna is still architectural element. There is no doubt about that. It's only shame the 1wtc owners decided to reach that hight in such an embarrassing way. It's like you would cut your hand off, throw it 100m and said yeah, that was a good jump
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Redzio liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #51717
NYCrulz

Quote:
Yea but you can cut her hair (antenna) ! You can't cut her forehead (Spire).

Let's take over her hair with a tall bump, now who's taller?

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #51718
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I love how some of you guys in this forum Are acting like this is some kind of new concept ,it's been this way since the Lincoln Cathedral Surpass the pyramids of Giza back since the Middle Ages ! it's been this way long since before we were born ,and it's going to be this way long after We are gone !

Thatonegirl, A.J.B 22, HRP4Life liked this post
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #51719
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13265

from WTC Progress

potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #51720
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

yankee fan for life, HRP4Life liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center