daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #5161
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

yeah guys, come on now. Construction did not begin the day after 9/11. Everyone can stop saying 7 years now. On another note, those arches are awesome. I'm really anxious to see Freedom tower become part of our skyline. I was recently on top of a building around Williamsburg and the skyline is really neat already, I can already imagine how it'll look in the years to come...

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #5162
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

right, and this ain't exactly a easy project. People have to understand the challenges that a big project like this one have.

btw. love those pics.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #5163
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i think they changed a little bit, i tried and tried but i can't put the arches in the rendering and in real life together! lol
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5164
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

I thought the same thing, but maybe this picture is facing the wall on the other side. Then it would make sense no?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5165
coexist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
Yes! You're ignorance has offended many people. Please learn some facts before posting. This construction is a point of national pride and sorrow for many Americans.
Exactly. I don't think there's a single American that will ever forget that day, or the pain, sorrow, and shock every single one of us felt. That was the day that it hit home, for every American, and especially for New Yorkers. And for people in and around NYC, there was and still is no escape from being constantly reminded of the events of that day. Every single time any of us take a look at Lower Manhattan, there is always something in the back of our heads reminding us of what was once there, and why it is no longer there.

I think most New Yorkers are eagerly awaiting the completion of the new WTC, for the simple reason that it brings some closure to what happened that day. No longer will we have to look at a gaping hole in the skyline, where 2 towers once dominated the skyline, and where 3000 people died in an instant. Sure, there will always be some reminder of 9/11 in the skyline, and people will not forget why the new WTC is there, but at least there won't be a hole that serves simply as a constant reminder of the darkest moment in our city's and our nation's history. The fact that some people think the government is slowing down construction so as to keep a giant hole there is absolutely insane, and pretty offensive.

And, for the record, we didn't even know the final design until July 2005. That's 3 years ago, exactly. Sure, this isn't the speediest project on Earth, but given the controversy and meaning behind it, nor should it have been. 3 years since the release of the final design, and we're now above ground level. Construction began in late April 2006, so it's been a little over 2 years since construction started. Sure, there's buildings going up faster, but 1 WTC isn't some slow, endless construction project, even if it feels that way sometimes.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #5166
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coexist View Post
Exactly. I don't think there's a single American that will ever forget that day, or the pain, sorrow, and shock every single one of us felt. That was the day that it hit home, for every American, and especially for New Yorkers. And for people in and around NYC, there was and still is no escape from being constantly reminded of the events of that day. Every single time any of us take a look at Lower Manhattan, there is always something in the back of our heads reminding us of what was once there, and why it is no longer there.

I think most New Yorkers are eagerly awaiting the completion of the new WTC, for the simple reason that it brings some closure to what happened that day. No longer will we have to look at a gaping hole in the skyline, where 2 towers once dominated the skyline, and where 3000 people died in an instant. Sure, there will always be some reminder of 9/11 in the skyline, and people will not forget why the new WTC is there, but at least there won't be a hole that serves simply as a constant reminder of the darkest moment in our city's and our nation's history. The fact that some people think the government is slowing down construction so as to keep a giant hole there is absolutely insane, and pretty offensive.

And, for the record, we didn't even know the final design until July 2005. That's 3 years ago, exactly. Sure, this isn't the speediest project on Earth, but given the controversy and meaning behind it, nor should it have been. 3 years since the release of the final design, and we're now above ground level. Construction began in late April 2006, so it's been a little over 2 years since construction started. Sure, there's buildings going up faster, but 1 WTC isn't some slow, endless construction project, even if it feels that way sometimes.
Not to mention the never-been-done-before complexity of having to clear, fix, and then build upon a site where two of the tallest buildings in the world fell, taking much of the existing infrastructure with it.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #5167
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Fulga View Post
I hate to be the one that brings this back ....again...but it seems that STILL not much going on on this particular site.....

If anyone looks at the sight right now..it's still bellow "0" level?!?!?!?!?

I can only think of one thing.....it's maintained on purpose for the visitors/tourists!

Don't you think?
I agree that this project has been embarassingly slow. I only wish that the slow speed was intentional or for tourists. THis particular building has way too many stakeholders with a say: the Port Authority, New York City, investors, 911 victims, insurance companies, memorial trust funds, Environmental Protection Agency, New York State, the courts, and probably some others I don't know about. Trying to make them all satisfied has been an agonizing, bureaucratic, cluster f*ck.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #5168
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

I just want to say, contrary to certain other people, that it is marvelous to see the great progress that has been made on this structure in only 2 years despite all the roadblocks and issues that have arisen over that time period. The workers have done a great job with the foundation and substructure of this complex building and site. So architects, engineers, contractors, and construction men, I salute you! (and others should as well!)
CMack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #5169
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Looks like to me progress is accelerating now. The installation of the arches is cool. This is one of the most complex construction sites on the planet. Let's give them a break, guys!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #5170
Adrian Fulga

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
I agree that this project has been embarassingly slow. I only wish that the slow speed was intentional or for tourists. THis particular building has way too many stakeholders with a say: the Port Authority, New York City, investors, 911 victims, insurance companies, memorial trust funds, Environmental Protection Agency, New York State, the courts, and probably some others I don't know about. Trying to make them all satisfied has been an agonizing, bureaucratic, cluster f*ck.
Thank You...doe I have to apologize for my previous post and lack of attention!

http://www.hotel-express.com/hotel-listing/
"Whenever You have a doubt...there is no doubt" - "RONIN" - Robert de Niro
I Love Romania because it's My country and for My Country I would die every second knowing that It will resurrect me back from the dead !
Adrian Fulga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #5171
oitavito
Chop it off

Likes (Received): 1

After reading 5 pages of this thread, I am quite sure I will come back checking for new updates not until 2013.
oitavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5172
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Webcam is down again. Must be windy up at the top of that Century 21 building. Or is it on the Hilton?
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #5173
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

It's been placed on top of the Hilton
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5174
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

first look at this thread since xmas 07, the progress is going swell , just asking how deep will the memorial squares be, and much deeper are the foundations for the tower past the ground in which they are working at the moment? thanx.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #5175
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Finally a tower crane !!!!!! So slow, follow the thread just every month!
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #5176
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Tower cranes have been there for nearly a year (or perhaps more). It's nearly impossible to see progress until it reaches the first few floors. To anyone who really knows what's going on, it's no shock that below grade work is so long.
80% of posters here are ignorant of important stuff.

The East-West connector next to FT:

There will be roughly 50 arches in total.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #5177
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan23 View Post
Finally a tower crane !!!!!! So slow, follow the thread just every month!
wtf u smoking?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5178
kalibanism
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

why are you insulting him/her?

I think the progress has indeed been very slow. I'm glad to see the project advancing though
kalibanism no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #5179
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

because tower cranes have been there for years lol
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #5180
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
There will be roughly 50 arches in total.
Not that I doubt you, but where did you find that out? I've been hard pressed looking for detailed information regarding anything underground.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center