daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #51781
MattSal
Architect

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Now I really want to see a 100m building with 500m thin spire on top of it and CTBUH's explanation. I would kill to see that.
The CTBUH's height criteria addresses just such a scenario:

http://ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/Heigh...S/Default.aspx

Under "Building Usage", the criteria states that:

Quote:
A tall “building” can be classed as such (as opposed to a telecommunications/observation tower) and is eligible for the "Tallest” lists if at least 50 percent of its height is occupied by usable floor area.
So, technically, you could build a 100m building with a 99m spire on top of it, but nothing more than that. Otherwise, you would lose your distinction as a 'building' and any chance of earning an official height rank.

L.A.F.2., HRP4Life liked this post
MattSal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #51782
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
All this is a mute point because in 10 years the WTC wont even be among the top 10 WTBs.
Moot point ... not mute point.

TheCap'n liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #51783
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
If Chicago wants the tallest building in the Country/Hemisphere title back, let em build a new one that's unambiguously taller than 1 WTC ... then await NYC's (Or San Francisco/Los Angeles/Toronto/Houston/etc's) response.

Trying to defend the Sears/Willis Tower's place is sitting too much on old laurels IMHO.
93 story tower just announced in Chicago so who knows?

bigreach liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #51784
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

What’s great about this being 1776ft?? Someday someone will try to top it. Weather if it’s in Chicago or NYC.

lets all put this in perspective what this means with the news today. It means the ante has been upped and that is a good thing and will benefit us skyscraper junkies in the long run.

Why??

Because one day, Chicago may build a 2,000 footer to unseat WTC and that only means one day NYC will get a 2,010 footer or vice versa to top that. The stakes had been raised.

NYdude, Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #51785
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
Having heard many negative comments about the way the CTBUH measures and ranks buildings, should some other organization take the lead? Here is a possible alternative: http://buildingheights.org/

Who knows what the future holds?
It's not about what council measures the height, it is about how they measure it. The CTBUH's official height is unfair and cheating friendly, but the mass height of this web page is, while better than the official height, still unfair and cheating friendly. I believe roof height is the answer that would eliminate, or at least maximaly dampen height cheating. Next year I plan on studying structural engineering and once I'm a fully fledged engineer I'd like to join the CTBUH, or the organization from the page you linked (that is, if this organization will be still arround). If I succeed at that I will try to officialy propose my roof height measurement system and officialy pursue its promotion and possible implementation
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #51786
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Next year I plan on studying structural engineering and once I'm a fully fledged engineer
First.. That is awesome and good luck in perusing your career!

2nd.. Be careful, once you complete your engineering, your views as you may know it today may change as you gain more understanding of your craft and realize that you would have sided with the committee members with a unanimous vote at CTBUH on this day. It could happen!! hehehe.

Kanto, Rodhano liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #51787
Kanto
Roof height crusader

LOL, I'll be a roof height crusader 'til my last breath
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #51788
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
What’s great about this being 1776ft?? Someday someone will try to top it. Weather if it’s in Chicago or NYC.

lets all put this in perspective what this means with the news today. It means the ante has been upped and that is a good thing and will benefit us skyscraper junkies in the long run.

Why??

Because one day, Chicago may build a 2,000 footer to unseat WTC and that only means one day NYC will get a 2,010 footer or vice versa to top that. The stakes had been raised.

Here's hoping that by the time someone does build a 2000 footer, America will have adopted the metric system and it will be called a 600 meter... er? Metererer? Ah, I can see the problem now.

Either way, I hope the US doesn't fall into the Chinese/Dubai race-to-the-top. Height isn't everything. I know that's blasphemy on SSC but if you're not careful you end up with something super tall but super ugly.

NYdude, A.J.B 22 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #51789
Chris666

Likes (Received): 29

i am sure...there will be megatall 1000m+ in nyc....apple will built this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkom/4051191167/
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #51790
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

One World Trade Center is 1,776 feet!

CTBUH Affirms One World Trade Center Height

http://ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTallNews...S/Default.aspx

HRP4Life liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #51791
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
It's not about what council measures the height, it is about how they measure it. The CTBUH's official height is unfair and cheating friendly, but the mass height of this web page is, while better than the official height, still unfair and cheating friendly. I believe roof height is the answer that would eliminate, or at least maximaly dampen height cheating. Next year I plan on studying structural engineering and once I'm a fully fledged engineer I'd like to join the CTBUH, or the organization from the page you linked (that is, if this organization will be still arround). If I succeed at that I will try to officialy propose my roof height measurement system and officialy pursue its promotion and possible implementation
I think you will piss a lot of people off if you change the official height of all the 'spired' buildings all over the world. It can never hurt to have lofty goals though

I, for one, am happy about the decision. New tallest for 'Merica!

Kanto, onewtclover, HRP4Life liked this post
ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #51792
onewtclover

I'm actually a little surprised that this ended up to be 1776 feet. I am very happy about the decision, but it could have been many heights: 1,368 feet, 1373 feet, 1792 feet, 1782 feet, even 1,417 feet. (And no these heights are not random.) I think the CTBUH made this decision because of 1). The symbolic height and 2). The spire lighting. Congratulations America on getting a new tallest building!

HRP4Life, Rodhano liked this post
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #51793
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
...Because that's the symbolic year of our independence, c'mon And yea it does matter *whether it's in NYC, or Chicago because NYC has a 2,000 foot limit for buildings.

NYdude, HRP4Life liked this post
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #51794
onewtclover

2,000 feet? Can I ask why this limit was imposed in 1916, before the Chrysler Building was built? The limit is a little "short", considering the Chicago Spire was even proposed. Eventually, Chicago is going to beat NYC when they have a 2000 footer, or does Chicago have another height limit?

I wonder- if they implanted a secret 700-foot spire on a 1,999 foot building, how big would the fine be? It'd be sad if they demolish the spire.
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #51795
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

It isn't just NYC as far as I know but the USA.

"A proposed structure or an alteration to an existing structure that exceeds
2,000 feet in height above the ground will be presumed to be a hazard to air
navigation and to result in an inefficient utilization of airspace and the applicant
has the burden of overcoming that presumption. Each notice submitted under
the pertinent provisions of this part 77 proposing a structure in excess of 2,000
feet above ground, or an alteration that will make an existing structure exceed
that height, must contain a detailed showing, directed to meeting this burden.
Only in exceptional cases, where the FAA concludes that a clear and compelling
showing has been made that it would not result in an inefficient utilization of the
airspace and would not result in a hazard to air navigation, will a determination
of no hazard be issued. "

They just have to have it approved apparently.

Kanto, A.J.B 22, HRP4Life liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #51796
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
LOL, I'll be a roof height crusader 'til my last breath
Best of luck Kanto.

Kanto, HRP4Life liked this post
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #51797
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Thanks

A.J.B 22, bigreach liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #51798
HRP4Life

Likes (Received): 81

I think we should all enjoy the skyscraper no matter what height it is. Height doesn't really matter, it's how the building looks.

L.A.F.2., NYdude, A.J.B 22, Rodhano, r0cc0 liked this post
HRP4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #51799
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Reality check. You're exactly right.

HRP4Life liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #51800
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP4Life View Post
I think we should all enjoy the skyscraper no matter what height it is. Height doesn't really matter, it's how the building looks.
Height is all you have when your design is conservative and ordinary.

It matters how tall 1WTC is because if it was measured to roof height, 1WTC would be - aside from inextricably linked to a national tragedy - an extremely unremarkable piece of architecture.

As I've said before, 1WTC works as part of a complex, part of a suite of complementary buildings. On its own, it's ordinary.

But if it's tall, well that makes it extraordinary. And it is tall. No question. We didn't need a committee to decide on this. 1WTC's spire is unquestionably architectural, and thus an integral part of the design.

It's a weird design, sure. One of those spire versus flat roof deals that always come down to personal taste. But it's a spire. And a symbolic one at 1776 feet. That matters, not just to NYC but to America. To flim-flam around the building's height as though it was a cop-out is to miss the true importance of 1WTC.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center