daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #51881
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50715

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #51882
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The August 2003 design with the wind turbine turned into floors would have been the best in my opinion. 2000 feet of pure building, what is not to like?

Agreed. But why didn't they do it? we could have eliminated one building and made the other three much higher tops.

Kanto liked this post
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #51883
Deepspace9

Likes (Received): 17

anyone have a direct webcam link to the transportation hub message me
Deepspace9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #51884
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Three years since the external cladding started...
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #51885
melrocks50
See you on a dark night

Likes (Received): 1503

Breathtaking. My favourite super tall.

NYdude, A.J.B 22 liked this post
melrocks50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #51886
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The August 2003 design with the wind turbine turned into floors would have been the best in my opinion. 2000 feet of pure building, what is not to like?
What is there to like?

65% of the building is open space with a giant wind turbine in it. What an ugly eyesore that would have brought on the skyline. Height isn't always everything.

image hosted on flickr

Golden Sunset on NYC Skyline By R Barnes Photography, on Flickr

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

Nonoka, Hudson11, Cloverbot, NYdude, Xoltage and 8 others liked this post

Last edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx; November 14th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #51887
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

A dozen years after the Sept. 11 terror attack, the first new tower officially opens on the World Trade Center site

Old November 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #51888
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I like the August 2003 design the most. It was only 1 000 feet tall in reality but it looked like being 2 000 feet tall. And yes, I agree that they should have rather built less taller towers than more shorter towers as they did.
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #51889
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Thank goodness they built the 2005 design, the rest were hideous.
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #51890
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5470

The projects that I liked the most are the first two and the fourth, while the one chosen eventually seems to be a trivial copy of what was there before, without daring in something symbolic and innovative. It is not bad, but I would have preferred something more striking...

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #51891
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

just noting the dicotomy of the criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I don't understand how your second paragraph supports or even contributes to the idea you are trying to express. I was not discussing the political aspect of the decision, but rather challenging the criteria. I exhorted a revision as a result of the increasing impracticality, not as a reaction from the decision.

criteria is set by industry
criteria is checked by industry
criteria is irrelevant

just like car gas mileage in the 70's
set by car maker
checked by car maker
mpg estimates a joke

unless you have an independent entity setting and checking criteria it is meaningless.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #51892
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

If this was in competition for tallest in the world, then this argument might be worthwhile.

But as it stands, I just don't have the energy to go back and forth endlessly over the third tallest building in the world, which will quickly be surpassed, and by the end of the decade won't even be in the top ten.

It's just not worth the effort. It takes focus away from the real importance of 1WTC and gets into a pissing contest with a forty year old building. It's like arguing with your grandfather over who can run the fastest. Even if you beat him, the fact that it was up for debate in the first place should give you pause.

I say let 1WTC have the undisputed title of tallest building in America. This is neither the time nor the place to start a battle over definitions and criteria and the politics of the entire decision process. There's better places for that conversation, this is not it. Don't let this building get drawn down into the muck because you don't like spires, or feel the CTBUH is corrupt or all those other things. Nobody actually cares.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #51893
MOHMOH

Likes (Received): 8

World Trade Center named tallest US building

http://www.thenational.ae/world/amer...st-us-building

NEW YORK // They set out to build the tallest skyscraper in the world — a giant that would rise a symbolic 1,776 feet from the ashes of ground zero.

Those aspirations of global supremacy fell by the wayside long ago, but New York won a consolation prize on Tuesday when an international architectural panel said it would recognise One World Trade Center — at 541 metres high — as the tallest skyscraper in the United States.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, considered a world authority on supersized skyscrapers, announced its decision at simultaneous news conferences in New York and Chicago, home to the 442.26-metre Willis Tower, which is being dethroned as the nation’s tallest building.

Measuring the height of a building would seem to be a simple thing, but in the case of the new World Trade Center tower it is complicated by the 124.36-metre needle atop the skyscraper’s roof.

The council’s verdict rested on a conclusion that the needle should be counted as part of the building’s total height. Without it, the tower would be just 416.97 metres tall, the same height as the original World Trade Center. That would make it smaller than not only the Willis, but also a 425.81-metre apartment building being built near Central Park.

Speaking at his office in New York, council chairman Timothy Johnson, an architect at the global design firm NBBJ, said the decision by the 25-member height committee had more “tense moments” than usual, given the skyscraper’s importance as a patriotic symbol.

“I was here on 9/11. I saw the buildings come down,” he said.

Over the past few months, the council had hinted that it might be open to changing its standards for measuring ultra-tall buildings, given a trend toward developers adding “vanity height” to towers with huge, decorative spires.

But the council also has a history of disallowing antennas in height calculations. The Empire State Building’s landmark 62.18-metre needle isn’t counted in its height measurement. Neither are the two TV antennas atop the Willis Tower, which had been the country’s tallest building since it was completed — and named the Sears Tower — in 1974.

But in the end, there was unanimity on the committee that One World Trade Center’s reach for 1,776 feet — a number that echoes the founding year of the United States — was an artistic architectural expression.

“This was a quest to put something meaningful and symbolic on that site because of the horrible history of what happened on that site,” said Antony Wood, the council’s executive director.

Tourists photographing the skyscraper on Tuesday mostly agreed that when it comes to height measurements, this spire should count.

“For any other building, no. But for this one, yes,” said Cary Bass of Florida, as he waited to enter the September 11 Memorial at the new skyscraper’s feet. “Those people deserve it,” he said.

“It’s a special building,” said Paul Schlagel, visiting from Longmont, Colorado.

When architect Daniel Libeskind won a public design competition for the World Trade Center master plan in 2003, his original vision was for a twisting, angular spire filled with hanging gardens.

Height was part of the appeal. At the time, his design of 1,776 feet would have made the so-called “Freedom Tower” the tallest skyscraper in the world.

Mr Libeskind’s drawings were always meant to be conceptual, though, and the real-world designs produced by architect David Childs and the tower’s owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, reduced that glass spire to a more conventional cable-stayed mast, which would support broadcast equipment and a rotating beacon, visible for 50-80 kilometres.

That change, along with another that removed a layer of decorative cladding, had created some doubt about how the council might rule.
MOHMOH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #51894
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
So why is it that they could not stretch the roof to 1776 ft? The Chinese are doing buildings that tall all over the place....and God bless them for it.
Because steel and concrete don't exactly stretch. And who's gonna pay for the extra 400 ft of floors as opposed to a thin spire? You?
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #51895
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

WTC One on "the Daily Show"!

"The Daily Show" did a segment about One WTC or Willis Tower beeing the tallest building in the U.S.

Link: http://on.cc.com/1bFys7m
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #51896
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Thank goodness they built the 2005 design, the rest were hideous.
I kinda like the Aug 2003 design (Middle) I just don't like all that wasted space at the top. If it was converted into offices, I really dig the shape.

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #51897
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

I agree with who cares what China is building. Sure they are elegant, robust skyscrapers, but America is where it all began. I didn't see China having the World's Tallest Building for 40 years back in the day. New York & Chicago were ahead of everyone when it came to skyscrapers back then. The ESB was built during the Great Depression era so to build something like that and in record time made the building the Eighth Wonder of the World. The World Trade Center was already once the World's Tallest Building so it's sort of a been there, done that kind of thing. Now it's famous for getting up after being knocked down. The USA is more than capable of building a 2,000+ foot building. It's not that we can't do it, it's just a matter of who wants to do it, who will approve it, finance it, etc. Plus the FAA's height limit of 2,000 feet is another issue. It really shouldn't because planes shouldn't be flying that low over a major city anyway. The airports are North, East, and West for the NY area. The closest one to the city would be LaGuardia. I think One World Trade Center is fine as it is. The issue over the spire height is and will always be controversial, at least for now. The CTBUH says the building is 1,776'. I tend to disagree, because of the lower entrance on Vesey Street that they didn't find "significant" should have counted but they didn't want to ruin their precious 1,776' measurement. Let me tell you this, if the building isn't called the "Freedom Tower" anymore, who gives a shit about the building being 1,776'. I just feel it's great to have the World Trade Center back in the neighborhood.

Last edited by NewYorker2009; November 15th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #51898
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

I like the August 2003 design the most. It was only 1 000 feet tall in reality but it looked like being 2 000 feet tall. And yes, I agree that they should have rather built less taller towers than more shorter towers as they did.
I like the June 2005 Rendering better it kind of resembles the north twin tower like it actually looks like a building that belongs to the WTC site. and plus the observation deck floors are higher than the other renderings providing a whole panorama of the whole city.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #51899
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
What is there to like?

65% of the building is open space with a giant wind turbine in it. What an ugly eyesore that would have brought on the skyline. Height isn't always everything.
Reread the post you quoted, man. Come on. I want a 2000 foot pure office building.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #51900
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Yes, I know what you meant.

I was referring to what was to get built, not what you wanted to get built.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center