daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #501
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected_ View Post
Here's why:

The building is typically described as being 102 stories tall, although it has only 85 stories of commercial and office space (2,158,000 square feet / 200,465 square meter), with an observation deck on the 86th floor. The remaining 16 stories represent the spire, which supports the antenna on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_...lding#Features
That's what I had in my mind. Thanks for the explaination!

Sorry, let's get back to the subject.

Highcliff liked this post
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM   #502
alexanderxu0707

Likes (Received): 4

in my mind,381m is not the roof,381m is the antenna.

alexanderxu0707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM   #503
alexanderxu0707

and i do not think the ESB is such taller than the chrysler buiding.
if the diagrams are correct,the top of the ESB IS 450M.then will be taller than JINMAO building(SHANGHAI).

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #504
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

As has already been said, the diagrams are pretty damn near accurate except for some minor problems on the roof height for the second tier from the top on the ESB...

connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #505
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Here's why:

The building is typically described as being 102 stories tall, although it has only 85 stories of commercial and office space (2,158,000 square feet / 200,465 square meter), with an observation deck on the 86th floor. The remaining 16 stories represent the spire, which supports the antenna on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_...lding#Features
The Wiki needs to be edited. There's a second, much higher observation room at the top of the spire. It's a cramped little space that was closed to the public soon after 9/11, and I don't know if it's ever been reopened. Based on the incomplete info in the wiki, it seems that the upper observation room is still off limits to the public. I do believe that that room is at 102 stories.

Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #506
alexanderxu0707

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderxu0707 View Post

is this diagrams about empire state building and chrysler building correct?
i think this diagrams is wrong!
the empire state building is 381m high totally,including roof,spire and antenna.

http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/index....TOKEN=78120904

============
New York's famous Empire State Building, a New York City Landmark and a National Historic Landmark, soars more than a quarter of a mile into the atmosphere above the heart of Manhattan.

Located on the 86th floor, 1,050 feet (320 meters) above the city's bustling streets, the Observatory offers panoramic views from within a glass enclosed pavilion and from the surrounding open-air promenade.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #507
dallasburg
GO RANGERS!!

Likes (Received): 1

looks good, but is it the same as the freedom tower or is it different? if its different, then where in new york will it be??

dallasburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM   #508
connected_

The diagram is slightly wrong but not far off.

Look where the observation level is on that diagram: about 325m up, which is close to what the article on ESB's webpage says. The roof height (i.e. the height the tower was before the approx. 68m spire/broadcasting antenna was added in the 50's) is 381m. 381m+68m = 449m which is near correct.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM   #509
Archiconnoisseur

Quote:
the empire state building is 381m high totally,including roof,spire and antenna.

http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/index....TOKEN=78120904
According to that website, these are the dimensions of the Empire State Building:
1,454 feet (1,453 feet, 8 9/16th inches) or
443.2 meters to top of lightning rod.
To 86th Floor Observatory:
1,050 feet (320 meters)
To 102nd Floor Tower:
1,224 feet (373 meters)
102nd Floor to Tip:
230 feet

As I already mentioned previously, there is a 102nd floor observatory above the 86th floor one. Ovaled in the drawing is the main 86th floor indoor/outdoor observatory. Circled is the much smaller and higher 102nd floor observatory. The people who wrote the wiki entry aren't aware of this upper observatory. To recap, the building is 320 meters to the 86th floor, then another 53 meters to the 102nd floor. On top of this is an antenna, and on top of this is a lightning rod.

Last edited by Archiconnoisseur; April 3rd, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM   #510
connected_

Yeah, I remember interior shots of that upper observatory in Peter Jackson's King Kong. I would have loved to have used that one instead of the lower podium... but there are so many visitors to ESB per year I don't think they would be able to meet the demand considering how small the floor space is!

Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM   #511
Archiconnoisseur

Quote:
Yeah, I remember interior shots of that upper observatory in Peter Jackson's King Kong. I would have loved to have used that one instead of the lower podium... but there are so many visitors to ESB per year I don't think they would be able to meet the demand considering how small the floor space is!
It was ugly and cramped inside, and it felt like one was in an underwater vessel due to the exposed painted metal. The 86th floor observatory, while much lower, is still better.

The WTC tower's observatory was so much sleeker and roomier. The view wasn't as romantic as that of the ESB's, but the viewing area was much more comfortable. Also, it was incredibly eerie to see a huge twin structure right next to you. Sort of a religious experience...

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #512
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Who Cares!!!! This thread is about the Freedom Tower!!! Not the ESB
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM   #513
rogerick1970
BANNED

NY Post

VANTONE'S BACK FOR MORE
CHINESE REALTY FIRM WITH 'PAST' IN NEW BID FOR FREEDOM TOWER LEASE

_

April 3, 2007 -- BEIJING Vantone, the Chinese real estate development company that walked away from two signed leases Downtown, says it's still serious about opening a "China Center" in Lower Manhattan.

China Center New York Executive Director Xue Ya acknowledged that "Our reputation has been hurt" by Vantone's pullouts from done deals at 7 World Trade Center last summer and at 195 Broadway last month.

But she pleaded for "understanding" and insisted the company had acted in good faith.

A brochure promoting its intended home at 7 WTC last year described it as "a dynamic hub for Chinese firms developing U.S. operations, and for U.S. companies wishing to conduct business in China." The center was to include an executive business club, conference center and travel center.

Vantone remains committed to that goal, Ya said - possibly at the top of the Freedom Tower, where besides being a tenant, "We want to participate in it," with the Port Authority, although she did not specify what sort of partnership she was referring to.

Real Estate and PA officials confirmed "serious" but "very preliminary" talks for about 400,000 square feet on the "iconic" tower's highest floors. PA spokesman John McCarthy said, "We'll need to be comfortable they demonstrate the financial capacity to move forward."

Vantone has a lotta 'splainin' to do after walk-aways from done deals left mud on its face. It made things awkward for two New Yorkers of unblemished reputations - Jones Lang LaSalle Regional President Peter Riguardi, Vantone's broker, and New York City Partnership President Kathryn Wylde, a strong advocate for Vantone's quest to launch a New York base.

Vantone thrust itself into Ground Zero politics by expressing interest in the Freedom Tower three years ago. When the project fell behind schedule, Vantone turned to 7 WTC, which was going up.

The company signed a term sheet with Larry Silverstein, a step that prompted then Gov. Pataki to prematurely stage a photo-op at the site.

The lease for the top five floors was later signed. But Silverstein cancelled the deal when he said Vantone "repeatedly" reneged on a $45 million letter of credit.

Ya says it was Silverstein's fault for rejecting the credit letter that Vantone ultimately produced. A spokesman for Silverstein said Vantone never produced the letter, but "wishes them the best."

Vantone claimed that Silverstein dumped the deal for 200,000 square feet when the market improved and found he could get $50-plus rents for 7 WTC, compared with the $45 Vantone would pay.

But no such case could be made at 195 Broadway nearby, owned by L&L Acquisitions' David W. Levinson and Robert T. Lapidus.

Vantone and L&L signed and counter-signed a lease for 120,000 square feet last month. Company Chairman Feng Lun flew in to sign it himself and promised the letter of credit - but again didn't deliver it.

Ya claims to have been surprised, too. In February, she was called back to China. Vantone's board "made a final business decision" not to go ahead, she said, because "Our Chinese bank had changed its conditions for the letter of credit." Levinson had no comment yesterday.

The timing of Vantone's exit there raises an impolite question. Vantone wanted to be in the Freedom Tower from the start - because, Ya said, the Chinese expect offices to be in new, instantly identifiable buildings, and "It's very hard for Chinese people to recognize" older New York addresses as valuable.

Vantone turned to 7 WTC and 195 Broadway only when the ultra-tall tower's timetable became unpredictable.

Then, last month, Gov. Spitzer backed the Freedom Tower after predictions he would delay it again. The news broke on Feb. 21, the day after we reported on the broken lease at 195 Broadway.

But could Lun have known about Spitzer's intentions earlier than that? Would it have given Vantone reason to find a way out of the lease with L&L?

Asked those questions yesterday, Ya first said, "I think a very minor part," but then denied knowing about Spitzer's green-lighting the Freedom Tower "until I read it in the paper."

Riguardi said, "Having visited their developments in Beijing, I feel strongly this is an organization committed to New York. But like any prudent business, they have to make sure they make the right deal.

"A lot is involved in doing business between the U.S. and China and it's going to take time."

Wylde said, "the business relationship between New York and China is extremely important to the city's future, which is why we've supported Vantone's efforts to bring more Chinese companies here."
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #514
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

Quote:

============
New York's famous Empire State Building, a New York City Landmark and a National Historic Landmark, soars more than a quarter of a mile into the atmosphere above the heart of Manhattan.

Located on the 86th floor, 1,050 feet (320 meters) above the city's bustling streets, the Observatory offers panoramic views from within a glass enclosed pavilion and from the surrounding open-air promenade.
no it is right, Archiconnoisseur is absolutely right!

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #515
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

Progress finally....cranes are a good thing when ur building Americas best new tower in all the land! ! !

FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #516
rogerick1970
BANNED

I agree, Im sure the cranes will be up by next week.

Old April 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #517
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerick1970 View Post
Who Cares!!!! This thread is about the Freedom Tower!!! Not the ESB
We do care. You need to work on your attitude.

Old April 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #518
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

^Right across the street from 1WTC, the GS Global HQ Tower (750 feet tall; 229 meters)

FT tower cranes are going to rise ASAP. I'm so excited, and things are going to get even better with other projects in other parts of the city that will make the WTC look like nothing. Construction on WTC Towers 3 and 4 (1,255' and 950') starts later this year. JPMorgan Chase is in negotiations with state and city officials to build another WTC skyscraper, Tower 5.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #519
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

New York New York :)

very good.... things start to move around there .... quite slow..from other places..but ...hope...for a quick growth

giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #520
CrazyAboutCities

WOW! FINALLY! WOOOOOTTTTTT

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center