daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #5201
interarchi
InterArchi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
I think that this is the part where the stores/retail will go. The arch and hallway is right next to the north memorial concrete wall.

IS THIS THE TRANSPORTATION HUB OF CALATRAVA ??
interarchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #5202
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
Here is the New York Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/ny...on&oref=slogin

Bugs
Ouch. Another unnecessary setback.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5203
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Which isn't a setback which has nothing to do with the Freedom Tower.

Since ML pulled out, then it means Larry will likely go back to the first plan for Tower 3, meaning they can get to work ASAP since the T3 site prep stage is completed. They also may decide to go with the bigger plans since they invested a lot of their time and effort into it. I wouldn't rule out anything until they make an official statement. So far, they haven't said one word about the future of Tower 3.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #5204
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
They also may decide to go with the bigger plans since they invested a lot of their time and effort into it.
That's delusional, I think. It's time to face the fact that they can't get anyone besides the government who wants to move in. I think the chances of them expanding this project are essentially zero, and the chances of it being diminished are increasing fast. Without being able to get any of the financial sector, which is in deep deep trouble, to move in, how can they fill this up? I admire your unfailing optimism, Ebola, but this is starting to remind me of the beginning of the year when you swore up and down that there was no possible way that they would miss any of the deadlines, while everyone else knew the truth.

At this point it might actually be better if they slowed down production until things get better in the market, rather than going full steam ahead and reducing the size of the project.

Anyway, I know I'll get pilloried by the NYC fans for being pessimistic, and I hope I am wrong, but things just look bad to me. I was definitely shaken by those figures in the NY Times article about committed renters.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #5205
Ebola
BANNED

Like I said, "I wouldn't rule out anything until they make an official statement."

In fact, ML has backed out before. Quite frankly, the chances of the original plans being downsized are 0. All of the construction plans are there. To change it would mean wasting more time - money. The only question now is how they will continue with T3 and T4 with big question marks all over.

It's not "bad" at all since ML was never a part of the WTC plans until it was partly delayed because of them themselves. Looking at this as if no private businesses will want in is just absurd since 7 is almost packed and the others are getting lots of attention too, not to mention JP Morgan Chase. From what I gather, the articles are just making things look as bad as possible. I'm happy now they we will likely be seeing old old T3 back.

Last edited by Ebola; July 17th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5206
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Eh damn funding problems. America... the richest, yet poorest nation in the world.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #5207
Ebola
BANNED

It's no funding problem; therefore, a Tower 3 will be built. The question is not if it will be built or not. Like I said, Merrill Lynch was NEVER a part of the WTC until they stuck their noses in and then whet the money-making section of Larry's brain.

What needs to be done now is for them to go FULL SPEED with one of the plans. And I am sure that is exactly what will happen. The site is preped. Currently, the T3 site look like the FT site when construction first started.

Last edited by Ebola; July 17th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #5208
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
It's not "bad" at all since ML was never a part of the WTC plans until it was partly delayed because of them themselves.
The reason that the ML thing worries me is because from what I understand, ML was specifically courted in order to lure others to this project by association with a big name. Anyway, I just don't think these guys can count on banks and financial institutions at this point for filling up the millions of square feet of space. Even the biggest names in the financial sector are in very bad times, and it will only get worse over the next year.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #5209
Ebola
BANNED

Having ML there or not means nothing. Remember that ML was never important to anyone until they got serious about moving in. Now that its over, things will speed up. Both the ESB and old WTC remained empty for many years.
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5210
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

its annoying when people hear the slightest bit of bad news and in their brains it means all hell breaks loose and the world is ending!
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #5211
xdexina
Dex for friends

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by interarchi View Post
IS THIS THE TRANSPORTATION HUB OF CALATRAVA ??
Yeessssssssssssssssssss is it and is ammazing one of my favorites
Didn't you know? WTF
xdexina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #5212
Northerly

Pardon my naivety on this, but when the towers came down 220 flloor of office space fell to the ground and took another 60 or so floors of other buildings down with them.

Where did all the tenants go and how many of them are coming back? Why are they not coming back?
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #5213
Ebola
BANNED

From what I hear, a lot have planted their roots elsewhere in the city and places like New Jersey. I think people would like to see a building first in real life before saying that they will be moving in. Some, I'm sure, are coming back. 7WTC is almost full. The government also had a lot of space too and they will be back in FT.
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #5214
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
Pardon my naivety on this, but when the towers came down 220 flloor of office space fell to the ground and took another 60 or so floors of other buildings down with them.

Where did all the tenants go and how many of them are coming back? Why are they not coming back?
There has been other office buildings completed in the last 7 years in Manhattan along with there being large blocks opening up as other companies move out of their offices. There is always more supply than demand, but at this momment supply is a bit shall we say tight.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #5215
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
From what I hear, a lot have planted their roots elsewhere in the city and places like New Jersey. I think people would like to see a building first in real life before saying that they will be moving in. Some, I'm sure, are coming back. 7WTC is almost full. The government also had a lot of space too and they will be back in FT.

My company located in the Financial District used to be in the WTC. Rumor has it that we already are looking to rent a floor in WTC 2 or 3. It's very early, but in my meeting today our company grew 13% YTD. We hired 90 people, thus we need more office space. Our standard 5-year lease runs out in 2012.

I hope my office is in 2-WTC...

Last edited by JACK NAPIER; July 18th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
JACK NAPIER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #5216
Ebola
BANNED

I doubt you are alone. I think many people are wishing that they get a chance to work in the most advanced, safest and famous office complex ever. Alas, I don't think anyone is going to sign up to make a big move until they see a skyscraper rising, and even after it's completed it will take time for people to warm up to the fact that change happened and to feel safe within new buildings. I hope we all at least get a chance to go inside the buildings once, even if we don't work there.
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #5217
Northerly

So there is an element of catch 22 about it? Can Silverstein can't afford to build all three of his buildings as they are now designed without at least some of the floorsspace committed? I'm assuming Freedom Tower is now "change resistant" other than what ends up on top - spire, antenna etc?
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #5218
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
My company located in the Financial District used to be in the WTC. Rumor has it that we already are looking to rent a floor in WTC 2 or 3. It's very early, but in my meeting today our company grew 13% YTD. We hired 90 people, thus we need more office space. Our standard 5-year lease runs out in 2012.

I hope my office is in 2-WTC...
Hey, send me a PM if there are any openings!

I'd do anything to work there - seriously.
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #5219
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

I was planning on visiting New York in 2012, but I will probably have to wait until 2014 before its complete! I love this tower, but progress is a little on the slow side for my liking. But it will be worth it when it has crowned New York's Skyline. I dont get why there is no 6WTC.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #5220
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

6 WTC was probably the performing arts center.

The article seems to make an assumption that the towers will not get built w ith Merril Lynch pulling out of the negotiations. However no one has stated this from the Silverstein camp and I am pretty sure he was already moving ahead with the construction of the buildings since he has his insurance money in his hands.

So as of right now there are no signs that Silverstein has hinted at being not able to continue construction.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center