daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5221
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

^ After all, Merrill was never part of the original plan anyway, it's not as if they lost anything they had planned.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #5222
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veseу View Post
^ After all, Merrill was never part of the original plan anyway, it's not as if they lost anything they had planned.
Not being able to find tenets wasn't part of the original plan either, but here we are. If you boosters can take off your distorted reality rose colored glasses for a second, you'll find out that the whole thing with ML was about getting a big name established so other companies would feel more confident that the project will finish in a decent time, and would be more secure committing to moving in. Is it likely that they could get people to move in once the project is done? No doubt. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. The problem is that they need people to commit to renting, so that lenders will be willing to lend them the money that they desperately need in order to finish the construction. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but it's really hard to get loans right now, and there just simply anyway that anyone is going to loan them the kind of money they need without tenets lined up. Not in this market.

The only people in the entire world who think that the breakdown of the ML talks is no big deal are people on this thread. They've lined up ZERO people besides government agencies to occupy these threads. I don't care what you guys say...that's bad and it needs to change real soon.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #5223
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

the financing is done
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5224
Hollie Maea

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
the financing is done
We heard just a month ago that they blew way over budget, and construction prices are way up these days. But whatever...I'm tired of arguing with you guys. Everything is going perfectly. The ML deal breaking down is actually a good thing. If you guys say it's so it must be true.
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #5225
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
We heard just a month ago that they blew way over budget, and construction prices are way up these days. But whatever...I'm tired of arguing with you guys. Everything is going perfectly. The ML deal breaking down is actually a good thing. If you guys say it's so it must be true.
Bahaha, I love you Hollie. No sarcasm. You make good points. I don't know everything and I don't pretend do, but it's hard to ignore that this whole process is just chaos, anything could happen down there.
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5226
Hollie Maea

Well if we're lucky, it'll turn out I'm wrong about the whole thing. It's certainly happened before
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #5227
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Hollie Maea, I would like to clarify that I am in no way a bosster wearing rose colored glasses.

Secondly the fact that they haven't lined up any non government tenants is to say the least not surprising to anyone who is trying to rent out these towers. I am sure they were well aware that it would be very difficult to line up private tenants.

However ML was not and has not been crucial to the construction of this building until they pulled out. The building was going to be built until ML decided they were interested in leasing space in the building. That is where the delay in this construction has occurred.

Also the delays at this site are not new. Anyone who is well informed of what is going on at the site would know that this is just recycled news that the newspapers happen to stumble on. Everyone who had some idea of what was going on at the site knew that the completion dates were unattainable because they were not realistic.

Most of the delays on this site involve actions outside of Silverstein's control. Either the rail station, which has been complicated because they decided to rebuild the subway tunnel before escavating below it. That is being built by the Port Authority of NY and is not his problem. The second is the Deutche Bank building which the LMC has made a complete mockery of.

Oh and did we also forget that Larry has 4.5 billion in insurance money?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #5228
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I'm beginning to wonder if someone is sneaking on top of the Hilton and stealing the Earthcam cameras.

We need for someone to book a room there soon so they can themselves snap some pics. It might cost a bit but for the rest of us it will be worth it.....because it wasn't our money.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #5229
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

too slow.
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #5230
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

actually too fast...
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #5231
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah you can say that again. It's been on speen since a several months after the tower cranes and first sections of the core went up. The first beams, including the one that says, "Freedom Tower" and the first pieces of the core will never be seen again. They are buried under the rest of the building which is on its way up.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #5232
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Yeah you can say that again. It's been on speen since a several months after the tower cranes and first sections of the core went up. The first beams, including the one that says, "Freedom Tower" and the first pieces of the core will never be seen again. They are buried under the rest of the building which is on its way up.
Never say never, it's bad luck. Knock on some wood...
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #5233
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Never say never, it's bad luck. Knock on some wood...
Let us hope that the construction schedule speeds up the pace - it has been too many years and the site is still a hole in the ground.
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #5234
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Ive been back in nyc for a month now. I planned on going to wtc. But truthfully there isn't anything to see, so i just stay home. I luv this building as much as the next person. But the PA are doing shitty job keeping on track.
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5235
Fab 5

Likes (Received): 3

Various site pics from early evening yesterday.

Old July 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5236
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Many thanks for the great pictures Fab!
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #5237
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 760

I don't like it. Twins were far far better. But...
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #5238
fish

Likes (Received):

It looks like the central core is rising at the same pace as the steel beams - pretty smart.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #5239
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

soon they're gonna have to bump the crane up......finally
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5240
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

I wasnt able to check the forum for a few weeks. I noticed that the construction has changed a lot.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center