daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2014, 04:15 PM   #54061
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7054

mesuperficia

bob_mcg65

A.J.B 22 liked this post
ajosh821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM   #54062
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Are the red and yellow part of the building's lighting or a reflection from somewhere?
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:47 PM   #54063
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's the sunset reflecting
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM   #54064
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Saw where a kid climbed 1WTC on the news and on FB. What an experience that must have been!
Can you imagine how embarrasing this must be for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey,
who are responsible for the site. They are lucky it was just a boy and not a person that may could
have infiltrated in the building to plan a terrorist attack.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:08 PM   #54065
ThatOneGuy

So it is the trend to climb supertall skyscrapers?

Someone should climb 432 Park when it is topped out, since there's definitely less security there!
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM   #54066
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

‘WTC a safe site? What a joke’
http://nypost.com/2014/03/21/wtc-a-s...e-what-a-joke/

Quote:
Impossible. Unbelievable. And hilarious, if you find the idea of blowing up 1 World Trade Center just by crawling under a fence funny.

Justin Casquejo, 16, fortunately had no bomb, just a 100-megaton adolescent ego.
But another intruder easily might have — a fact well known to the NYPD, which is battling the Port Authority to have the final say on who’s in charge of protecting the WTC.

That 1 WTC “security” proved so porous is beyond incredible, given the years of anguished planning and rethinking of the project to prevent a second 9/11.

In 2005, Ray Kelly famously convinced Gov. George Pataki, the PA and its then-partner Larry Silverstein to move the “Freedom Tower” from its original planned site and redesign it from top to bottom.

That was to protect the “iconic” structure from truck bombs driven into the tower from West Street, among other threats. The reboot set construction of the skyscraper back by two years, complicated rebuilding the whole 16-acre WTC site, and cost a fortune.

But it was that important. The 1,776-foot-tall skyscraper has been viewed as vulnerable since even before ground was broken. Donald Trump called it “Terror Target No. 1 with a bull’s-eye around its neck.”

To guard against disaster, architects and engineers devised a fortified tower base made with tons of blast-resistant concrete. The redesign required an unprecedented 45,000 tons of steel. Even after that, security issues tied up the PA and the tower’s main tenant, Condé Nast, for two years.

Now a clever kid from Weehawken has exposed all the heaven-and-earth-moving efforts at protection as a joke.

Republican mayoral candidate Joe Lhota — remember him? — took heat when he compared PA police to “mall cops.” That might have been an insult to the guys who break up food court Snapple fights.

If the PA can’t build a fence without holes for a kid to crawl through, it must turn the job over to the NYPD for good.

And the Durst Organization, the PA’s partners who are responsible for protecting 1 WTC from inside, can do a lot more than just fire the guard who dozed through Casquejo’s invasion.

The Dursts fought off a bunch of rugged real-estate rivals for a piece of the WTC action. They’d better start playing hardball with their hired help, too.

Aussieman62 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM   #54067
adam.dworzak

Likes (Received): 955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Instead of punishing the kid the PANYNJ blowhards should give them a reward, and then resign.

He exposed their security for the joke it is.

Bravo!

adam.dworzak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:29 PM   #54068
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

About the security guard- I've spent the last ten years working in private security, a good chunk of that on active construction sites. And believe me, I know how easy it is for people to sneak in. On one site alone, I wrote report after report documenting person-sized holes in the fence, in secluded areas of the site. And nothing was done. And that's just one security issue- I've seen so many that it's not funny. Sometimes the amount of ground that one guard is expected to be able to keep an eye on at once is truly mind boggling, the worst being one site I worked with two high rise towers and a lot of surrounding ground space. There's just no way that one person can watch all that territory at once, but the developer didn't want to pay for extra guards. And so often, developers/property owners just can't be arsed to do anything about the issues we guards bring to their attention. I've warned property owners of safety hazards that were an accident/lawsuit waiting to happen, and been blown off completely.

And no matter how good a guard is, we're not capable of being everywhere at once. So it's entirely possible for a guard to be patrolling one area while something is going on on another part of the site. So before I join you all in laughing over some guy losing his job, I want more details. Was the guard actually asleep, or was he patrolling such a large area that it's entirely possible that the kid got around him, even though he was doing his job properly? Or was this guard stationed at a fixed post that he wasn't supposed to leave unless somebody else relieved him? I've worked sites like that, and a guard who's stuck in one place can be even easier to get past, especially in a building like this, which prides itself on its multiple areas of egress.

j-biz, Aussieman62, Ukraine liked this post
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:15 PM   #54069
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

It's a great time to be a terrorist. You don't even have to actually do anything to instill fear in Americans. Their own imaginations are doing ten times the work you ever did.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:23 PM   #54070
ThatOneGuy

Actually it would make sense if the security guard was in fact patrolling, and not sleeping, and the Port Authority just wants to save face.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:18 AM   #54071
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

^Kind of sucks if their "saving face" cost somebody their job, if that person really was doing the best that they could under the circumstances.
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:33 AM   #54072
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Happy friday from Long Island!

From about 25-30 miles out on this gorgeous day…finally used my real camera for these instead of my iPhone 4! Still the camera is only 10x zoom and it's cheap. Imagine what a top line camera could take with this view! Enjoy.
[IMG]http://i60.************/345c1tz.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i62.************/dyagqc.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i58.************/4l563a.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i59.************/4ztc6.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i57.************/i4n8t5.png[/IMG]

j-biz, A.J.B 22, Jeromeo, Kampflamm, billgates liked this post
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:58 AM   #54073
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.dworzak View Post
Instead of punishing the kid the PANYNJ blowhards should give them a reward, and then resign.

He exposed their security for the joke it is.

Bravo!
I couldn't agree with you more. The people who try to punish the boy, are a bunch of fools! He actually did the PANYNJ a favour!

Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:24 AM   #54074
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Wow ESB really looks like a short Ping An from that distance.
Great shots
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:55 AM   #54075
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22553

Gary Hershorn/ Reuters
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:30 AM   #54076
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Wow ESB really looks like a short Ping An from that distance.
Great shots
In terms of silhouette they are similar.

Also ESB is not short it's just a lot shortER
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM   #54077
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
The guard was fired and the kid faces up to 90 days in prison for a misdemeanor.
90 days in prison? Are you serious? That's way over the top... He is just an adventurous kid, like all kids should be instead of glued to a tv all day. He is so young though. They are going to ruin his life for this.

4npower, ThatOneGuy, Aussieman62 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:55 AM   #54078
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
90 days in prison? Are you serious? That's way over the top... He is just an adventurous kid, like all kids should be instead of glued to a tv all day. He is so young though. They are going to ruin his life for this.

This is exactly my thoughts. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Same thing with the guys climbing the Shanghai Tower. Nothing was damaged, and thankfully, nobody died. He should be given nothing more then a "stern" talking to. I did this stuff as a kid and can remember sneaking into construction sites and even attempting to drive the heavy equipment around because they would leave the keys in them. Once or twice my friends and I were caught and the police simply took us home and let our parents deal with us. I'm not saying an ass whoopin didn't follow once I arrived at home, but at least my life wasn't ruined or anything serious became of the incidents. It's just too bad what the world has come to these days. If I could only rewind time back to an age where social media was unheard of, and the internet was something only the government and wealthy used

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:40 AM   #54079
bxitln

Likes (Received): 24

Took this back in January on a cold afternoon. Just got to posting it now! Enjoy:

image hosted on flickr

Brooklyn - January 2014 (59) by Dan10956, on Flickr

www.flickr.com/photos/danferrara

WSB, Jeromeo, A.J.B 22, L.A.F.2., keepthepast liked this post

Last edited by bxitln; March 22nd, 2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: fix picture code
bxitln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #54080
ThatOneGuy

90 days is too much. No doubt it is only being done to kind of glue back the illusion that the site is invulnerable and to scare other would-be climbers into not making the security look bad a second time.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center