daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:47 AM   #54081
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
90 days is too much. No doubt it is only being done to kind of glue back the illusion that the site is invulnerable and to scare other would-be climbers into not making the security look bad a second time.
its being done to punish a criminal.

keepthepast liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:46 AM   #54082
a.y1987

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
90 days is too much. No doubt it is only being done to kind of glue back the illusion that the site is invulnerable and to scare other would-be climbers into not making the security look bad a second time.
Maybe they should use him to test the site's security, if a 16 year old can breach the site, who else could?

Aussieman62 liked this post
a.y1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:47 AM   #54083
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

@ Hudson11 Yeah but come on, one month should be the absolute max for what he did. I think three months is just to scare others off and prevent any possible flaws from being exposed.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #54084
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Punish a criminal? People say the same about a kid who is put in prison for possessing a gram of weed. My point is this is too much. The true crime is ruining his life and making him a media spectacle for something so insignificant. You cannot say you, as a kid, never sneaked into skyscrapers for the thrill of being at the top diverging all security for a hell of an adventure. If you never did, then you never lived.

Aussieman62, NewYorker2009 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:35 AM   #54085
bxitln

Likes (Received): 24

One more:

image hosted on flickr

Brooklyn - January 2014 (125) by Dan10956, on Flickr

www.flickr.com/photos/danferrara

tambay328, A.J.B 22 liked this post
bxitln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:59 AM   #54086
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
The guard was fired and the kid faces up to 90 days in prison for a misdemeanor.
He was probably, copying what he saw on you-tube,, 2 Million plus times ( I mean shit, they Glorified those, "2 Russian dudes" for breaking thru Shanghai Tower's Security and posting Incredible photo's,,, "climbing the World's 2nd tallest building" ,, all the way up to the tip of the crane??? .. This kid's 16 and hell, ( he saw the publicity those 2 got,, so why not portray it? DO YOU REALLY FAULT HIM? . I don't if I was 16,, I'd try it too. 90 days in jail, for a lifetime achievement? Small price to pay.

Last edited by bigreach; March 22nd, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM   #54087
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2106

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...a/13304129975/

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michael_kafka/13283492025
©: Michael Kafka
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM   #54088
Makaveli96

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Watch View Post
Where is that first photo taken from?
Makaveli96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:56 PM   #54089
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
This is exactly my thoughts. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Same thing with the guys climbing the Shanghai Tower. Nothing was damaged, and thankfully, nobody died. He should be given nothing more then a "stern" talking to. I did this stuff as a kid and can remember sneaking into construction sites and even attempting to drive the heavy equipment around because they would leave the keys in them. Once or twice my friends and I were caught and the police simply took us home and let our parents deal with us. I'm not saying an ass whoopin didn't follow once I arrived at home, but at least my life wasn't ruined or anything serious became of the incidents. It's just too bad what the world has come to these days. If I could only rewind time back to an age where social media was unheard of, and the internet was something only the government and wealthy used
I know! How long did Phillippe Petit had to go into prison for walking on a wire between the Twin Towers, he didn't have to! How ridiculous is it indeed that this boy has to go to prison for 90 days. It just shows how f*cked up the PANYNJ and the Criminal System in NYC is.

Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:18 PM   #54090
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

^Well, if you are 16 you are old enough to understand that doing something like that is not a small offense. He had to think about the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli96 View Post
Where is that first photo taken from?
Main Street Park, under the Manhattan Bridge.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #54091
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
We have criminals on Wall Street, Government officials, gangsters who will never do time and you call this kid a criminal? No wonder America is in trouble......

NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:26 PM   #54092
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
We have criminals on Wall Street, Government officials, gangsters who will never do time and you call this kid a criminal? No wonder America is in trouble......
In what way is America in trouble?

Also, the law is not a sliding scale. Minor crimes are not suddenly acceptable because major crimes exist.

Come on, you're smarter than this (I assume).
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #54093
maxjd95

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Such a beautiful picture.
The way the tower looks in this picture it really reminds me of the old WTC, which is nice.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
maxjd95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:29 PM   #54094
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Watch View Post
8 Spruce and 1WTC are almost reminiscent of the Twin Towers here, except reversed. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but I sometimes wonder if that was done intentionally. Frank Gehry always has been one for architectural tricks.

paco280, Aussieman62, sundrop74, Ocean One liked this post

Last edited by Chapelo; March 22nd, 2014 at 08:38 PM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:05 PM   #54095
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

WTC Progress
Glaziers install glass at the south entrance of One WTC.

sgollis, billgates liked this post
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:27 PM   #54096
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
In what way is America in trouble?

Also, the law is not a sliding scale. Minor crimes are not suddenly acceptable because major crimes exist.

Come on, you're smarter than this (I assume).
If you really have to ask that question I can only "assume" you don't live in the real world. Just take a trip down memory lane and rehash in your mind what happened to the economy of this country in the last five years and how it is still ongoing. If you're one those skeptics who think everything is kosher, I rather not continue this conversation. However, this thread is about One WTC so I won't get into this here.

I'm not condoling what this teenager did, but I don't think his entire future has to be ruined because of it. You said yourself "minor crime."
I'm not comparing major crimes with minor ones. I'm simply stating how major criminals in the system never face jail time.

If the Port Authority had better security, this wouldn't have happened. Just like if our Govt actually paid attention to who we let into this country, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. This kid did them a favor. People are so quick to judge the one committing the act but never blame the other party of allowing it to happen and not implementing the security they promised in a post-9/11 world. Surely, this is an embarrassment on their part and don't want to face the penalty of lawsuits for having this 1 sq. foot breach in security. It's about protecting their own ass. Remember that.

Last edited by NewYorker2009; March 22nd, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:08 PM   #54097
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
If you really have to ask that question I can only "assume" you don't live in the real world. Just take a trip down memory lane and rehash in your mind what happened to the economy of this country in the last five years and how it is still ongoing. If you're one those skeptics who think everything is kosher, I rather not continue this conversation. However, this thread is about One WTC so I won't get into this here.

I'm not condoling what this teenager did, but I don't think his entire future has to be ruined because of it. You said yourself "minor crime."
I'm not comparing major crimes with minor ones. I'm simply stating how major criminals in the system never face jail time.

If the Port Authority had better security, this wouldn't have happened. Just like if our Govt actually paid attention to who we let into this country, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. This kid did them a favor. People are so quick to judge the one committing the act but never blame the other party of allowing it to happen and not implementing the security they promised in a post-9/11 world. Surely, this is an embarrassment on their part and don't want to face the penalty of lawsuits for having this 1 sq. foot breach in security. It's about protecting their own ass. Remember that.

Well Said

NewYorker2009, Aussieman62 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #54098
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17001

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan seen from Hackensack,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

phoenixboi08, NewYorker2009, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #54099
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
^Well, if you are 16 you are old enough to understand that doing something like that is not a small offense. He had to think about the consequences.
You may be right. But he doesn't deserve it as I pointed out before. He did the PANYNJ a favor, which means he should have received a reward instead and not a prison sentence, as it doesn't make any sense on what I can read from comments and articles.
Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:34 AM   #54100
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

Wonder why only the base of the spire is lit... Strange.

AlePa2013 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center