daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #54341
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

No offense intended, however it amazes me that a minority of people still compare this 'unfinished site' to the 'complete original site'. Once the site is finished then you should express your opinion because so many people keep saying how it doesn't give the same presence of the originals, yet two World Trade Centre hasn't been built yet!

People keep talking about how they loved seeing two next to each other and how that feeling is gone, well two World Trade Centre is basically the height of one World Trade Centre so once finished I am sure that feeling will re-occur or be equivalent. Unfortunately though you have to move on.

You don't have to let go, but the world has changed and the twins are never coming back. This site was built for the present and future, the twins were built in the 1970's, there is an enormous difference. Not seeing them in real life myself makes me incapable of knowing how you feel and no doubt it's something which you treasure, however this thread really is for one World Trade Centre, not the twins.

WSB, streetscapeer liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #54342
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Photographer View Post
Manhattan looked better with the twin towers but this is only my opinion. Architectonically the twin towers weren't perfect but they looked good as a complex
But which one is perfect anyways? One WTC is also a big sore to the eye!

Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #54343
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

I can't believe the twins debate is still going on after all these years and a half completed new complex...they are gone FOREVER. I grew up with the twins and yeah it sucks but get over it! I never supported them going back up from the beginning...it would be way to haunting to see them up in my opinion, knowing that A) they aren't even the "real" twin towers and B) thousands of people lost their lives in the exact same looking buildings on the same exact site...no. We move on and remember and what we have/are getting is a fitting tribute and nod to the victims and the original complex. This is the new World Trade Center people...that's it.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #54344
Andro1209

Likes (Received): 32

When is this discussion going to end already, with 1WTC already topped out for months and other towers eventually on the rise? Do people here not know that when the Twin Towers were first built in the 70s people thought they were a huge eyesore on the skyline and that they looked like two giant grey filing cabinets? But they got used to and even fond of it over time, and only now that they're gone even more so. I can see the same happening for the new towers. Since it's been 13 years and it's not possible to turn back time, this futile discussion has been going on far too long IMO.

weidncol, iamtheSTIG, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Andro1209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #54345
Makaveli96

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
I can't believe the twins debate is still going on after all these years and a half completed new complex...they are gone FOREVER. I grew up with the twins and yeah it sucks but get over it! I never supported them going back up from the beginning...it would be way to haunting to see them up in my opinion, knowing that A) they aren't even the "real" twin towers and B) thousands of people lost their lives in the exact same looking buildings on the same exact site...no. We move on and remember and what we have/are getting is a fitting tribute and nod to the victims and the original complex. This is the new World Trade Center people...that's it.
I do agree with allot being said but taking a spin on what you said, most people are also sick of hearing the same point about bringing up the families thing and saying it would of been unfitting when in fact the majority of the families wanted the Twins rebuilt as well as most of the city. It would of been allot better and easier to do in my opinion but I do like the new complex as it is quite amazing and the idea works. I always thought a mix between the new and old would of been good. Such as maintaining the future look but with the twin towers, the waterfall footprints, museum, two low risers, transportation hub, 7 WTC, Performing Arts Center and of course Liberty Park and 5 WTC.

Kanto, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Makaveli96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #54346
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro1209 View Post
Do people here not know that when the Twin Towers were first built in the 70s people thought they were a huge eyesore on the skyline and that they looked like two giant grey filing cabinets?
That's what I thought as I watched them being built and still think. I like this design MUCH better. Were it not for all the loss of life and misery (yes, that's a lot of "except but for"), I'd argue New York was better off.

The TT were a bad design, not only from the way they looked but, as it turned out, from the way they were built and functioned. People were trapped who shouldn't have been. A building came down that might have survived with a more conventional design.

Maximalist liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #54347
wilfred267

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
Completely agree. Besides the complex is incomplete so you can't compare the two since 2 and 3 have yet to be built.

Last edited by wilfred267; April 12th, 2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: capitalized the c
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #54348
Goocher

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by new york guy View Post
Man damn talking about 1 WTC post more pics and give us about more updates of it, there is no need for us to just talk about the spire or the base or anything on the building because it's almost complete those ships have sailed (i hope) all we need is pics on the glass being filled, the base being completely cladded, interior updates, and notifications of the observation deck but other than everything that needed to be said has been said far as everyones opinion of it now we are just waiting for this big puzzle to be put together.

With all that said my point is there is no need to get feisty over other little ALMOST off topic things that are discussed.
I agree. It doesn't bother me at all if people want to talk about the twins, especially here in this forum. Even if people do get pretty off topic, I try not to let it destroy my day.

sgollis, Kanto, Aussieman62 liked this post
Goocher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #54349
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2106

1 WTC from British Airways G-ZZZB - 12th March 2014

Link: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...236/2423749/L/

A.J.B 22, Swiddle, streetscapeer liked this post
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #54350
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I've grown to really love this building
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #54351
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Off topic, I'd like to know what airline that plane belongs to, so I can make sure not to fly with them...

On topic, shouldn't the outer construction elevator go down all the way now because there are functioning freight elevators already working inside?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #54352
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Off topic, I'd like to know what airline that plane belongs to, so I can make sure not to fly with them...
It's British Airways, one of the world's biggest airlines and also quite renowned. No need to worry just because the wings are dirty.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #54353
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

skingld

keithmichaelnyc

shinyasuzuki
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #54354
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Are all these lights already office lighting / permanent lighting?

phoenixboi08, Radio Raheem, Swiddle liked this post
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #54355
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2106

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rritchie/13788666624

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rritchie/13789788833
©: Ray Ritchie

Kanto, Cloverbot, Swiddle, A.J.B 22, Sasha 74 and 3 others liked this post
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #54356
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
Are all these lights already office lighting / permanent lighting?

I don't think so no tenants have rented those floors yet...permanent office lighting has and is being installed on Conde's floors however...

Nonoka liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #54357
Aussieman62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I've grown to really love this building
Good for you mate! You want a sticker?

Old April 13th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #54358
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22555

Touched by Keith Michael on Flickr
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #54359
Aussieman62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Touched by Keith Michael on Flickr
Wow! This reminds me of the Twin Towers, which had the same effects, when sunlight
would reflect from their outer skin and would sparkle the building

A.J.B 22 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #54360
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

Apologize if that has been asked many times but does anybody know what is the approximate date( or month) the observation deck will be open? I'm guessing sometime around summer 2015
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center