daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #54661
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I notice the beacon's not on. Why is that? Are they still repairing the beacon?
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #54662
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

Yes. The bad weather lately has delayed it.
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #54663
onewtclover

Well, at least when they finish it will rotate again, hopefully.
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #54664
mattpugs

Likes (Received): 20

So the dark areas of the top of the building are supposed to light up? I stopped taking photos of this building at night just because the top of it bugs the hell out of me.
mattpugs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #54665
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Yes, eventually the mechanical floors at the top will be lit from within at night. Or so we have all been led to believe.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #54666
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Some early renders show lights, some do not:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...06&postcount=8
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #54667
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

I really hope they do light the mechanical floors. It looks so bad without them lit
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #54668
onewtclover

We all know that the building's lighting is a monstrosity right now, but the good news is that we all know it will get better. (Except for the lighting; it's great right now and won't change much). The top is supposed to be lit up, the whole building will have office lights, and the mechanical floors will be lit, too. And we've seen the base in its full glory. The renderings show something pretty interesting:

Of course, we can't always trust the renderings, especially now that we've seen the spire compared to the renderings. Very different. But the base lighting was not that off:

[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMIqsmC3isL1O-nVRzfcZgqgPKdbjgdA6fF-Wxb3GGiSiVNiz1[/img]

A.J.B 22, Philly Bud liked this post
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #54669
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

http://gothamist.com/2014/05/16/911_memorial_fences.php

You might have to pay a hefty $24 to experience the 9/11 Museum when it opens next week, but the twin reflecting pools that make up the museum's memorial are still free to visit. And now, the pools are even more accessible to the general public—the memorial plaza will be barrier-free during the museum's open hours.
The memorial has been fenced off since it opened to the public in 2011, but a spokesman with the 9/11 Museum tells us the plaza will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily. Passersby in Lower Manhattan will be able to walk right up to the massive pools (large media cameras need to keep a 10 foot distance), though you CANNOT throw coins or any other objects into them. Please.

The removal of the barriers is particularly significant, marking the first time the Ground Zero site has been unfenced since the September 11 attacks over a decade ago. The pools sit in the footprints of the Twin Towers—at long last, the site can rejoin the rest of the city.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #54670
onewtclover

I think it's nice you can just walk to the pools. But I think $24 for admission to the museum is far too expensive, but to be fair, tons of money was spent on construction. This includes the 3 billion dollar One World Trade Center. You need to spend almost $100 for a family of four!

And is no coin throwing an official rule or did they just make that up? Because that seems like a good idea. It would look disrespectful and a compromising of the image to throw coins.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #54671
weidncol

I thought the plaza would be 24/7. Also, this the wrong the wrong thread for what you posted, msl1
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #54672
Antagon

Likes (Received): 249

Old May 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #54673
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

I was online last night reading the rules for the memorial and museum. Some of them are perfectly reasonable, like no throwing crap into the fountains, no vandalism implements, or wheeled things like skateboards or rollerblades, and no political protest signs.
We don't want to see people treating the site like a playground, vandalizing it, or bringing messy politics into it.

But some of the other rules go too far. If somebody wished to make an offering of smudge (sweetgrass or sage, usually) or incense as an offering while paying respects, they would not be allowed to do that outside? Or if a visiting group from a specific faith wanted to sing a hymn or chant, they would not be allowed? I think that's a damn shame. There's lots of ways to pay respects, after all.
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #54674
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
I thought the plaza would be 24/7. Also, this the wrong the wrong thread for what you posted, msl1
What do you mean it is the wrong thread? It is completely relevant to the site and the new WTC.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #54675
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
What do you mean it is the wrong thread? It is completely relevant to the site and the new WTC.
There is a special thread for the memorial and the museum in the general urban developments section

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...44445&page=105
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #54676
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
There is a special thread for the memorial and the museum in the general urban developments section

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...44445&page=105
Cool, but I still think it is very relevant.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #54677
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAmanita View Post
I was online last night reading the rules for the memorial and museum. Some of them are perfectly reasonable, like no throwing crap into the fountains, no vandalism implements, or wheeled things like skateboards or rollerblades, and no political protest signs.
We don't want to see people treating the site like a playground, vandalizing it, or bringing messy politics into it.

But some of the other rules go too far. If somebody wished to make an offering of smudge (sweetgrass or sage, usually) or incense as an offering while paying respects, they would not be allowed to do that outside? Or if a visiting group from a specific faith wanted to sing a hymn or chant, they would not be allowed? I think that's a damn shame. There's lots of ways to pay respects, after all.
Perhaps other people don't see it this way, but I think that the actual memorial should just be the twin pools, while the grounds surrounding them should form a public park/plaza with the same rules and regulations as the Austin Tobin Plaza. I think that the community deserves a place to lie on the grass and gaze into the sky while eating, chatting, or whatever else, as long as they don't leave a mess, smoke, break the law, exceed an appropriate volume, etc. Heck, there should even be free live concerts from time to time! This is what a community gathering space is all about, right? If the authorities restrict the entire superblock's etiquette to wandering about and snapping photographs like it's a cemetery, at least we'll have Liberty Park... right...?

...anyway, back on topic...

A few of the windows on 1WTC's eastern façade look rather strange...
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #54678
weidncol

It seems as though all of the external hoist is now going to be removed.

(Click for larger image.)

A.J.B 22, Swiddle liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #54679
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The park looks fantastic. Nice to see it is no longer fenced off.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #54680
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

One year ago and today

WSB, A.J.B 22, Swiddle liked this post
Chibears85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center