daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:41 PM   #54761
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28969

juliejordanscott

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:36 PM   #54762
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC
I don't like 1WTC at all. Every time I see it (even from far away), I get eye cancer. The height is average whereas the design is really ugly (especially the spire). Such an uninspired building is not worthy to be called WTC.
I agree, for the most part. The worst thing about the design, aside from not being very interesting or inspired from the start, is the incongruity. The podium, building, and antennae all look like could be parts of different buildings. And the only part of the three that looks even passable is the center.
As for the height, it is meager, nothing more. When the original twins were built, they were the tallest building's in the world. And even by the time of 9/11, they were still the third tallest.
The new WTC has replaced the twins with one building of the same height, which hardly qualifies as more than a footnote by today's standards. It isn't even fairly the tallest building in the US. The height was botched, the design is uninspiring, and the other towers in the development are on-hold. Pretty pathetic for a development as important as the WTC in a nation that once prided itself on being the greatest on earth.

sundrop74, FM 2258 liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:52 PM   #54763
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
I don't like 1WTC at all. Every time I see it (even from far away), I get eye cancer. The height is average whereas the design is really ugly (especially the spire). Such an uninspired building is not worthy to be called WTC.
I hope you don't really get eye cancer every single time you look at buildings you don't like. That would be miserable.
On the up note, you just won the dumbest comment of the month award. Congratulations!

Jay, Steve92691, LadyAmanita liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #54764
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
I agree, for the most part. The worst thing about the design, aside from not being very interesting or inspired from the start, is the incongruity. The podium, building, and antennae all look like could be parts of different buildings. And the only part of the three that looks even passable is the center.
As for the height, it is meager, nothing more. When the original twins were built, they were the tallest building's in the world. And even by the time of 9/11, they were still the third tallest.
The new WTC has replaced the twins with one building of the same height, which hardly qualifies as more than a footnote by today's standards. It isn't even fairly the tallest building in the US. The height was botched, the design is uninspiring, and the other towers in the development are on-hold. Pretty pathetic for a development as important as the WTC in a nation that once prided itself on being the greatest on earth.

I just can't with people anymore, this doesn't even deserve a response.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:51 PM   #54765
erkantang

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
I hope you don't really get eye cancer every single time you look at buildings you don't like. That would be miserable.
On the up note, you just won the dumbest comment of the month award. Congratulations!

Lol
erkantang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM   #54766
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Translation:
"I don't know much about design, I'm angry this building isn't taller, and if I'm unsatisfied with this project then national pride is dead"

mudvayneimn liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #54767
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

This tower looks like a mess with all the random punched-out windows, or whatever the technical terms is for them. It looks about as bad as 1 Bryant Park did when it opened. $4 billion for this??
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #54768
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Well they surely are not gonna leave it like that. They still have to do a few minor things on the exterior, including fixing of what you just said (I don't know the correct term either) as well as removing netting from the coms rings, completely dismantling the elevator etc.

I'm also wondering when they're finally going to wash this thing. Just look at the newly filled in curtain wall edges where the elevator used to be, they're shiningly white while the older ones are freaking yellow!
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #54769
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I would guess when they've finished the glass.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM   #54770
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

there's been way too much cynicism about this building and the developers of the WTC on this website. Everyone can critique before the finishing touches have even been made but not many (including myself) will ever appreciate the difficulty, financial and physical, of building a tower like this, and selling the space within these towers to prospective tenants in a city where there are unarguably several better options.

mCx2 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:21 PM   #54771
rlw777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
there's been way too much cynicism about this building and the developers of the WTC on this website. Everyone can critique before the finishing touches have even been made but not many (including myself) will ever appreciate the difficulty, financial and physical, of building a tower like this, and selling the space within these towers to prospective tenants in a city where there are unarguably several better options.
Agreed. It's easy to be critical when you don't know the whole story. I feel like most folks are unaware of the time and cost involved in cleaning up the site or in the safety measures for the buildings. Construction workers were still finding human remains and artifacts from the twin towers. The human remains had to be removed from the site with appropriate sensitivity / given proper burial and many of the artifacts from the twin towers had to be cataloged and saved. Beyond that the buildings have higher than normal safety and structural requirements to ensure they can stay standing in the event that they are targeted again. All of that costs money, adds materials, changes designs, and takes lots of time.

streetscapeer liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:20 PM   #54772
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Right on. As another forumer mentioned, the building costs ~$4B. This is insanity. So much money wasted for a mediocre tower. It may be the safest / strongest tower in the world, but that's it. Height- /design - wise, 1WTC is eclipsed by many other skyscrapers. And I'm not talking about China, no. Even in New York, taller and better designed buildings, which cost a fraction of Freedumbb Tower, are on the way.

So if taller buildings are on the way in NYC why are complaining? There is nothing wrong with a 1370/1776 foot building, my favorite skyscraper in Shanghai is "only" 1250' to the roof and 1381' to the pinnacle (Jin Mao Tower).
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:20 PM   #54773
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Blue Flame, the only building that is officially on hold is 2 WTC, 3 WTC still has a vote coming up. So saying "all the other towers in the development are on-hold" is completely wrong.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:53 AM   #54774
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

They made it that height for a reason; to make the roof height the same as the original North Tower, which I think is pretty symbolic.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:05 AM   #54775
rlw777

Quote:
I'm well aware of New York having a boom (just walking in DB or LIC will open one's eyes), it's just that 1WTC was supposed to be the tallest building for a while (I don't count the antenna). I think it says a lot about our economy when residential towers are going to be taller than an official icon. Sure, all office buildings can't be that tall. But 1WTC, the 'beacon', the 'signature tower' of New York City needed to be much taller than the rest.
Icon's like Bruce Wayne become symbols of something else... they have greater meaning than just being a building. Like how ESB is a symbol of New York.

The height and geometry of this tower are references to the twin towers and a bit of a memorial to the folks who lost their lives on 9/11. Good architecture / iconic architecture does not necessarily require great height or groundbreaking flashy design.

j-biz liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:32 AM   #54776
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:

Quote:
Right on. As another forumer mentioned, the building costs ~$4B. This is insanity. So much money wasted for a mediocre tower. It may be the safest / strongest tower in the world, but that's it. Height- /design - wise, 1WTC is eclipsed by many other skyscrapers. And I'm not talking about China, no. Even in New York, taller and better designed buildings, which cost a fraction of Freedumbb Tower, are on the way.
?????

This building is simply amazing! Just look at the photo's below, It's looks as if it goes on for infinity extending into the heavens, very symbolic not to mention an unusually high degree of difficulty to construct. I couldn't have expected a better replacement!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post

j-biz, WSB, sundrop74, A.J.B 22, ArasHUN liked this post
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:13 AM   #54777
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
...it's just that 1WTC was supposed to be the tallest building for a while (I don't count the antenna).
This is just not true. I don't think those words ever left Silverstein's mouth.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:24 AM   #54778
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Swiddle, iamtheSTIG, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:46 AM   #54779
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

So much for the 1,368' "symbolism." It's basically a 33' 4" (steel covered in glass) wall that reaches the original North Tower height. The 105th floor (1,334' 8") is technically the roof. If the PA wasn't running the show I bet things would be different. All the Towers would have been completed by now. The Port could go to hell.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:08 AM   #54780
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

One World Trade Center (also 1 World Trade Center or 1 WTC) by mitzgami on Flickr

WSB, MarshallKnight, iamtheSTIG, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center