daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #54781
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Blue Flame, the only building that is officially on hold is 2 WTC, 3 WTC still has a vote coming up. So saying "all the other towers in the development are on-hold" is completely wrong.
This is a joke, right? It's got a vote coming up!?! Which of course means that it is actively under construction.
3 WTC is on-hold, pity that, and has been for quite some time now. I know there was spotty interior work for awhile going on, but it has been a very long time since it was rising, and it hardly qualifies as u/c.
So what I said was not at all "completely wrong". The potential of it being u/c in the near future does not make it any less "on-hold" right now.

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:44 AM   #54782
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Translation:
"I don't know much about design, I'm angry this building isn't taller, and if I'm unsatisfied with this project then national pride is dead"
Then please tell me, since you seem to think you know better, what exactly are the outstanding merits of this building? I argue that there is literally nothing outstanding about it. I don't hate this building in the slightest, I just protest the absurd touting of this building as something that either exhibits architechtural superiority or is in some way unique or extremely tall.
It is generally a nice tower, and the cladding of the middle of the tower is wonderful. It fits well into NYC. But that is it.
This is the WTC site, in NYC, in the USA, and an average nice building shouldn't cut it here. Especially one that basically cheated it's way to the top by official height, and has been cheapened and reduced at nearly every possible opportunity.
This is currently the 14th tallest building in the world, and in a matter of 10 years, it probably won't be in the 30. That's not world class by my standards.

It's not bad, but a site that is both symbolically and emotionally as important as this one is to America shouldn't be satisfied with such a project. So to answer your accusation, yes, I'm unsatisfied with this building- the real question is, why aren't you?
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #54783
darlasxm54

Likes (Received): 3

wow cool....

A.J.B 22 liked this post
darlasxm54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:58 AM   #54784
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Then please tell me, since you seem to think you know better, what exactly are the outstanding merits of this building? I argue that there is literally nothing outstanding about it. I don't hate this building in the slightest, I just protest the absurd touting of this building as something that either exhibits architechtural superiority or is in some way unique or extremely tall.
It is generally a nice tower, and the cladding of the middle of the tower is wonderful. It fits well into NYC. But that is it.
This is the WTC site, in NYC, in the USA, and an average nice building shouldn't cut it here. Especially one that basically cheated it's way to the top by official height, and has been cheapened and reduced at nearly every possible opportunity.
This is currently the 14th tallest building in the world, and in a matter of 10 years, it probably won't be in the 30. That's not world class by my standards.

It's not bad, but a site that is both symbolically and emotionally as important as this one is to America shouldn't be satisfied with such a project. So to answer your accusation, yes, I'm unsatisfied with this building- the real question is, why aren't you?

Because Asian and Middle Eastern skyscrapers clearly never cheat their way to the top...

What's outstanding about it? It is very tall, would still be a major skyscraper in any Chinese city and has beautiful glass and will be accompanied by other supertalls.

And relax, there will be taller buildings in NYC and maybe the US in the future.

Plus the spire looks amazing at night even though it was never clad which yes sucks but you have to get used to it.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:25 AM   #54785
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Ugh guys you are really sucking all the fun out of this page. Very few people give two shits about world's tallest, and that includes most developers.

I for one could care less how it stacks up to buildings in Asia. This ain't Asia. This is New York, and the damn thing looks just fine here.

And one more thing... IT'S JUST AN OFFICE BUILDING.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #54786
BasedYeezus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Eluminaty
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM   #54787
mCx2
clear minded mortal

Likes (Received): 254

Oh! Too many whines and whinges about the height and design of this building. Why? This building might not be the most appealling to others and indeed was dwarfed by other towers in the middle east and in China. What matters most is the significance of this structure and the city to which it stands to represent. NYC-the greatest city on earth,still is. Look at those towers in the KSA,Dubai and China. Who will go and see and relish the greatness of those structures? I've been to Dubai and I know the hype created by media about this desert city-too hot. And China? Too much smog that sometimes it's even hard to see the person next to you in the street let alone the towers that hover above you. HK and Macau are not spared. I was disappointed the last time I went there. There's this constant thick smog that you can only appreciate the skyscrapers when the buildings lit up at night.

Political Correctness has Gone Mad!!!

Last edited by mCx2; May 23rd, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
mCx2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #54788
1+2=3
nymphomaniacal pigeon

Likes (Received): 439

As far as Ive seen nobody who is critical of this building has denied NYC's status as a sublime city. NYC may be one of the greatest cities in the world, that doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with the quality of this building. So why compare NYC as a whole with (lesser) Asian cities if someone gives his / her criticism regarding only this building?

I'd say the building is decent, except the antenna (which it clearly is, it's not a 'spire'). Why take that as an "Asian vs US city" argument? Ii's nothing to do with it. Conversely, NYC is a city of such an outstanding quality that it deserves something better than this mediocrity.

Finally, I don't see why in a thread that is clearly meant to discuss a certain building one shouldn't give any criticism regarding that building but instead is only allowed to revere it and post (tons of) pictures.

sundrop74 liked this post
1+2=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:35 PM   #54789
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Any city can build tall skyscrapers and any city can claim certain heights, there isn't a competition, all cities have incredible attributes to them. New York however isn't renowned for just it's skyscrapers. New York is renowned for it's culture, diversity, infrastructure, history, theatre, layout ... the amount of unique and symbolic things in New York is incredible. That's what makes it the most famous city in the world. I'm not even from New York and I can see that. This tower has only become more and more spectacular. I cannot wait till the entire site is finished one day!

Philly Bud liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:23 PM   #54790
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

1+2=3, I think you'll find that criticism of 1WTC in this thread falls into three main categories.

1. This building is mediocre, there are tons of new towers taller/bolder than it.
2. The spire/antenna is ugly.
3. America has gone to shit and/or I'm just here to vent.

I've been following this thread for quite a long time now (lurker for years), and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the first two arguments have grown stale. As for the third, well just read some of the things people say.

I would really suggest everybody watch the documentary 16 Acres (on Netflix) before coming here just to say Silverstein/the PA/Bloomberg/NYPD/etc is an *******. It's far from a complete picture, but it really does a lot to explain how we ended up with what we have today, which is hard to get unless you've been obsessively following the press for 13 years. Let's be honest, half the people on this thread were probably children 13 years ago (disclaimer: myself included).

Anyway, this is not meant to be accusatory toward any poster in particular. I really don't want to start a flame war. Everybody is free to share their opinion, of course.

sergiomazzi, A.J.B 22, cincobarrio liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #54791
mCx2
clear minded mortal

Likes (Received): 254

If anyone remember the throng of oppositions,critics and cynics when the twin towers was proposed then built? Eventually, it became one of NYC's(or even USA's) symbols of greatness. Back then, it was considered too mediocre,too bland,too ugly-a spectacularly tall tower with narrow windows.

Political Correctness has Gone Mad!!!

j-biz, Philly Bud liked this post
mCx2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #54792
Andro1209

Likes (Received): 32

Jeez, the building has been topped out for almost a year and is all but complete, and there are still whiners?? For Christ's sake there were people who hated the Twin Towers when they first came up. Suck it up and get used to it. The building is not going anywhere because of your venting on an online forum. I'm not against people expressing their opinions but that we are still entertaining the same complaints with responses is mind-boggling. The fact will always remain that there will be people who aren't crazy about this building the same way there were people who weren't crazy about the unspectacular design of the Twin Towers. But eventually people will get used to it and be quiet. Ignore them because it changes nothing.
Andro1209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #54793
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Expressing your opinion is not considered "whining." Yes, there will always be people who support the Tower & those who oppose it. You better "suck it up and get used to it" just as you expect people to get used to this Tower just to satisfy you. I like this Tower a lot. It has a great design structurally & architecturally. It will eventually become an icon that people all over the world will accept. For some people. it's just too soon for all that. 9/11 is still fresh in people's minds and whenever people stare at this Tower they can't help but be reminded of that day. That's probably one of the reasons why people are having a hard time accepting the design changes, or the Tower itself because it just hasn't lived up to what was there before it. All in time......
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:48 PM   #54794
sergiomazzi
We all are explorers!

Likes (Received): 15046

Looking back and seeing the new complex arise ....

................ I celebrate the results achieved to date.

Congratulations to everyone involved in the project!

A.J.B 22 liked this post
sergiomazzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #54795
Andro1209

Likes (Received): 32

I said I wasn't against people expressing their opinion. As someone who's been lurking on the thread for some years just to see pictures of the tower going up, I've seen the same line of complaints and responses go around dozens of times and just think it would be better off at this point if we let them complain without responding and trying to convince them they're wrong every time.

sergiomazzi liked this post

Last edited by Andro1209; May 24th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Andro1209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #54796
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Fleet Week in NYC.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fleet...-photos-2014-5

A.J.B 22, mCx2, Informative liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #54797
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

I thought fleet week was still axed due to military spending cuts. I guess not.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #54798
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I thought fleet week was still axed due to military spending cuts. I guess not.

They cut welfare benefits to residents living in a 3 block radius in Baltimore city to fund it this year
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #54799
Hemanamo
MtyMx

Likes (Received): 444

I just love the tower, architecturally spectacular. Have been several time in NYC, and cant whait to see it for my self. You have the most exciting city in the world, I have never felt this way for any other city in the world, it's just a unique city. The tower it self will always have the remembrance of the twin towers, but it will make their own history and will be from now on a very important part of it.

Impresive and elegant tower........ just perfect for New York !!!

A.J.B 22 liked this post
Hemanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #54800
VictorBND

Likes (Received): 113

A lightning struck the tower a few moments ago. Don't know if it's cool, terrifying or both...

The video of the moment:

http://instagram.com/p/oXBTviPP2V/

And the photo

Credit to Mitchell Emmert user in Instagram!

Hudson11, pnapp1, AlePa2013, A.J.B 22, mCx2 and 3 others liked this post
VictorBND no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center