daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #54821
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22543

captured by Daniel P. (Earthcam statue of liberty Harborcam)

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #54822
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Putting that lightning rod to use....

P O W E R O F N E W Y O R K by kirit prajapati photography, on Flickr

One World Trade Center by razorbern, on Flickr

Stormy Weather by Mike Orso, on Flickr

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #54823
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

^ As a weather fanatic and a hopeful future meteorologist, I just can't stop staring at all these breathtaking lightning shots. Wow. Just incredible.
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #54824
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The building will definitely be fully opened, including to the public, by next year.
Interior work on this building is scheduled to conclude by the end of November 2014.

The anchor tenants Conde Nast are going to start moving into this building in January 2015.

The observation deck is scheduled to open the Public in May 2015.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #54825
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Six Sigma Man

FCY photography

Old May 26th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #54826
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Because Asian and Middle Eastern skyscrapers clearly never cheat their way to the top...

What's outstanding about it? It is very tall, would still be a major skyscraper in any Chinese city and has beautiful glass and will be accompanied by other supertalls.

And relax, there will be taller buildings in NYC and maybe the US in the future.

Plus the spire looks amazing at night even though it was never clad which yes sucks but you have to get used to it.
Well, this clears a lot up on why we disagree on this issue. The very wording of your writing denotes that acceptance of the massive compromises of this building and project as a whole is paramount to appreciating it. I don't agree.
I expected a step forward from the Twins- since their construction, time has past, building technology has improved, and the site deserves the absolute pinnacle of innovation for our time. This doesn't qualify for that.
Thus the separation of opinions here is obvious: those who are quite satisfied with the development as is- as a nice, moderately tall tower that fits in seamlessly with the skyline, as opposed to those who hoping for an development that would create an icon for the 21st century and would have a monumental impact on the skyline.
This site is quite possibly one of the greatest opportunities ever lost to the world of skyscrapers.

Aussieman62 liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #54827
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Well, this clears a lot up on why we disagree on this issue. The very wording of your writing denotes that acceptance of the massive compromises of this building and project as a whole is paramount to appreciating it. I don't agree.
I expected a step forward from the Twins- since their construction, time has past, building technology has improved, and the site deserves the absolute pinnacle of innovation for our time. This doesn't qualify for that.
Thus the separation of opinions here is obvious: those who are quite satisfied with the development as is- as a nice, moderately tall tower that fits in seamlessly with the skyline, as opposed to those who hoping for an development that would create an icon for the 21st century and would have a monumental impact on the skyline.
This site is quite possibly one of the greatest opportunities ever lost to the world of skyscrapers.
edit

Last edited by weidncol; May 27th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #54828
Limak11
Caffeine addicted

Likes (Received): 362

I like it, but it isn't the best one, only high is impressive for me.
Limak11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #54829
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Indeed. I do agree. Sad but true.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #54830
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22543

1WTC and Municipal Bldg E. Broadway by travellingcari on Flickr

A.J.B 22, Antagon, Swiddle liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #54831
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
There are so many vested interests at the World Trade Center site, in terms of land ownership, security, politics, emotional significance, etc, that it was never a candidate for innovation. We are lucky there is anything there at all. As a design purist, I don't expect you to really care about all that, but it's the reality of the situation. Does no good lamenting about an impossibility.

streetscapeer, A.J.B 22 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #54832
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Jesus, Woolworth looks like a pygmy

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

A.J.B 22, Aussieman62 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #54833
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedYeezus View Post

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #54834
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

The Conde Nast kitchen vents on the 35th floor, North side:

So if these are already installed, What are the ones on the 88th floor for?

A.J.B 22, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by uakoops; May 27th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #54835
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

The West Street plaza:

A.J.B 22, billgates, Swiddle liked this post
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #54836
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Fulton Street side:

A.J.B 22, Swiddle liked this post
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #54837
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They just installed the ones on the north side. The others were test pieces.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #54838
mCx2
clear minded mortal

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+2=3 View Post
As far as Ive seen nobody who is critical of this building has denied NYC's status as a sublime city. NYC may be one of the greatest cities in the world, that doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with the quality of this building. So why compare NYC as a whole with (lesser) Asian cities if someone gives his / her criticism regarding only this building?

I'd say the building is decent, except the antenna (which it clearly is, it's not a 'spire'). Why take that as an "Asian vs US city" argument? Ii's nothing to do with it. Conversely, NYC is a city of such an outstanding quality that it deserves something better than this mediocrity.

Finally, I don't see why in a thread that is clearly meant to discuss a certain building one shouldn't give any criticism regarding that building but instead is only allowed to revere it and post (tons of) pictures.
It's not about Asian city vs US city. NYC have far more greater builings-buildings with significance, not just in height and esthethics as compared to other emerging skyscraper cities. You might consider this freedom tower as mediocre in design or height but to most, it's one elegant tall building besides its prime location. I agree some were disappointed when the final rendering came out then constructed. But it's design is simple but unique.
My point is that those great new taller (constructed and proposed) in other cities might be engineering or architectural marvels but who'd appreciated them when their location is not that great. Take for example those towers in KSA-who gets to see and appreciate them aside from annual pilgrims in the islamic world, and that still partly occupied current tallest in Dubai and those magnificent number of supertalls in Chinese cities that you could hardly see in any given day (save for some days after a heavy downpour.
Freedom tower will be put to great use as its predecessor.
We're not just talking about freedom tower and other supertall structures here but also about world cities skyscrapers and it's overall impact and NYC is only one of them.
I'm not inciting CvC here, absolutely not. In the future we'll see more and more taller structures being built with staggering heights more than what's currently under construction. But in the end it's all about significance, for instance the Empire State Building(it is now considered short when compared with other supertalls but still is one of the greatest buildings in the world). Height and beauty do matter but sometimes they don't. You see, beauty is in the eye of the beholder:-)

Political Correctness has Gone Mad!!!
mCx2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #54839
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

almost done
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #54840
weidncol

The street level landscaping is starting to look really amazing!

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center