daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2014, 08:24 AM   #55101
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

lol you all notice the cameras sticking out of the base. They are trying to make it look subtle, but that's not working.

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM   #55102
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
The base of 1WTC has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a skyscraper. How in the world did they get away with that?
absolutely,,, but that's a matter of OPINION! I think SWFC's Base looks 100x better than this stupid aquarium looking, "hand-cranked" roll out windows! But That's just what each person prefers, I see the base window's looking like that of my "breezeway" of my house that I grew up in,, Those point's are just opinionated, and really, it's just a matter of 'opinion', when it come's to looks.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:15 AM   #55103
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

If the hand-cranked windows on my house looked like that I would be so happy.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM   #55104
CarmeloAnthony

Likes (Received): 3

The mech floors are all lit now..... if the rest of the tower has those lights it is going to look outstanding
CarmeloAnthony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM   #55105
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post

The twins had eight mechanical floors, and as most know they're the floors with the darker colored facade.
Mate...I live on the far side of the planet yet I have stood on the roof top deck of the original WTC...also the observation deck a short escalator ride below...ok maybe mechanical floors were between these and also at places intermittent in the twin towers but without knocking this wonderful building the spacing of office and roof is much more in this case...
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM   #55106
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Now, this tower looks very impressive. Congratulation!
Are they going to install glasses around the ring?
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM   #55107
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
---Tower is too short. Needs to be around 500m to look more in proportion.

---Tower was mistakenly allowed to have a hideous base.

---Spire is too long for tower height and it is ugly to boot.

Commentary:

A lesson in why good design can't be done when too many participants stick their nose in where they shoudn't.

Final conclusion: Tower is a sad compromise and does not live up to expectations.

Recommendation: Next time, go with the Brit.
I agree 100%. People have this sentimental attachment to this building but the reality is that it's a very bland tower for being #1 in the US.

The spire is definitely way too big and it looks like a hot garbled mess from far away. The sinewy lines of the triangular body also end abruplty only to be met by a circle and then a massive spike. There's no sense of continuity but of abrupt change. The building goes from body to spire way too quickly and doesn't transition properly.

I think the base is decent but it's a square base that, again, abruptly shifts to a triangular base.

I never liked the WTC from an architectural standpoint (the gray looked sad and old) but 1WTC is an unworthy successor.

I also hate angles where the triangle points northward like this:

It looks visually unappealing.

I much prefer triangle down:

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 05:25 PM   #55108
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
---Tower is too short. Needs to be around 500m to look more in proportion.

---Tower was mistakenly allowed to have a hideous base.

---Spire is too long for tower height and it is ugly to boot.

Commentary:

A lesson in why good design can't be done when too many participants stick their nose in where they shoudn't.

Final conclusion: Tower is a sad compromise and does not live up to expectations.

Recommendation: Next time, go with the Brit.
This forum has proven to be pretty useful for project updates, construction photos, news etc, but I do not appreciate the 'nerds playing architectural critics' aspect of it. I understand that part of the reason why forums in general exist is so anybody - however clueless they are - can blurt out their opinion about anything, but this is so pointless and annoying.

So you think a tower that's taller than the Empire State Building is too short...thanks for sharing. I recommend not ever visiting NYC so you can save yourself from the disappointment of seeing it in person.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM   #55109
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

I agree completely! Pathetically bland, short by today's standards, clumsily designed, and generally not worthy of the WTC site. I hope the two remaining towers, when(or if) they are built do something to salvage this nightmare, but given the current development, I retain pretty low expectations.
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:48 PM   #55110
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Is it critic day?

j-biz, SparkyyHD liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM   #55111
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
I agree completely! Pathetically bland, short by today's standards, clumsily designed, and generally not worthy of the WTC site. I hope the two remaining towers, when(or if) they are built do something to salvage this nightmare, but given the current development, I retain pretty low expectations.
Short by today's standards? I've had it with all the idiots in this thread! Sorry to use such harsh language but it's true

I guess Taipei 101 is short too as well as the old WTC or Petronas Towers.

Also if 1WTC is short then Shanghai Tower is the only tall building in Shanghai and Burj Khalifa the only tall building in Dubai since it would be #2 in those cities.

I guess JK Rowling is also poor by today's standards because she's not as rich as Bill Gates right?

j-biz liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM   #55112
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Is it critic day?
I guess so.

I wish people could realize that design is subjective. Not everyone is going to like the same things as everyone else.

Whichever way you feel about the building shouldn't set people off to defend their point of view so contentiously.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:41 PM   #55113
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Those criticisms will never change my opinions about the building, so you may as well give up

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

Last edited by SkYsCrApEr2013; June 21st, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:57 PM   #55114
weidncol

Well this chat just turned from excitement about the lighting to criticism.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:29 PM   #55115
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Chill out folks, it's an opinion. Oh, and I've been to the memorial and seen the tower up close, so I'm not some person who hasn't a clue and just spouting off about a photo. It's an OK tower, ok? Happy now? I just feel it falls short in certain areas.

What I do like is the sun catching the face of the tower from certain angles and the spire lighting

Oh, and we don't need to be professional architects or architecture critics to have an opinion of a tower. That is a preposterous assertion. This forum exists so enthusiasts can have their say. This forum exists so everyone may give their opinion. I don't appreciate being told that I should shut up because I'm not a pro.

If you want the forum just to be updates and photos and praise, well you've come to the wrong place.

Manitopiaaa, patrykus liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; June 21st, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:40 PM   #55116
indu963

Likes (Received): 25

To me they are the antennas account for the height of skyscrapers or they have not, but not a blow not a blow yes ..................https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14287994607/
indu963 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM   #55117
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I hate the spire during the day but it looks great when it's lit up at night.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM   #55118
weidncol

I personally don't mind the spire. I used to absolutely hate it, but the more I saw it, the more it reminded me of New York and how well it fits into the rest of the skyline. Sure, it could've been better, but I feel it's great and it's even better at night.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:37 AM   #55119
JOHaarup

Likes (Received): 68

Ok, time to congratulate NY. This tower is awesome and something you can be proud of.

The symbols are in place. You got the resemblance to the obelisk “Washington monument” and all the history linked to it. For me the design also holds the two towers merged into one. Compared to the early roadmap designs this final design is far, far more superior and has a clear show of strength.

So relax and be proud my friends Cheers from DK

streetscapeer liked this post
JOHaarup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #55120
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
This forum has proven to be pretty useful for project updates, construction photos, news etc, but I do not appreciate the 'nerds playing architectural critics' aspect of it. I understand that part of the reason why forums in general exist is so anybody - however clueless they are - can blurt out their opinion about anything, but this is so pointless and annoying.

So you think a tower that's taller than the Empire State Building is too short...thanks for sharing. I recommend not ever visiting NYC so you can save yourself from the disappointment of seeing it in person.
I'm pretty sure most people who dislike it have seen it in person. I've seen it at least half a dozen times, especially when I get up to New York, and I posted one or two pics of it that I took a few years back from St. Paul's Churchyard. The building looks solid from the bottom but that, again, is because from the bottom there's less focus on the top (which is my big concern). I like the cladding though. I just wish it had better continuity.

Your comment was also in poor taste. "Nerds, clueless, blurt, don't ever visit NYC, annoying". And then you proceeded to do the same thing you find obnoxious. And you'll be sad to know that most famous architectural critics are also annoying, clueless nerds who blurt out pointless opinions.

If it makes you feel better, i think the size is fine but the proportions look a bit off for the height (which is what aquablue said I believe). I think even the most subjective can agree that this building has odd-ish proportions.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

aquablue liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center