daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:24 AM   #56361
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

Lower Manhattan Skyline, New World Trade Center at Twilight, New York City by lensepix, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:06 AM   #56362
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDAHLIA View Post
The base is gorgeous,the tower is beautiful,the whole site is gonna be amazing but......i would like something like the Shanghai tower for New York!...Big apple deserves and needs a 2000 feet!..
Deserves doesn't mean anything. I could say I deserve this and that, but it doesn't mean crap in the end.

2000 feet would be nice, but I think we'll be waiting a while. This boom may be fizzling out.

Some financial types think that euphoria over skyscrapers is a signal to sell short. There's been plenty of eurphoria recently. This boom is about a year or two until it will be done.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:31 AM   #56363
lwetli

Likes (Received): 424

From 33 Thomas St
by lwetli, on Flickr
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:58 AM   #56364
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

1 WTC Entrance by E Rabeck, on Flickr

1 WTC by E Rabeck, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; October 23rd, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:31 AM   #56365
TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
Deserves doesn't mean anything. I could say I deserve this and that, but it doesn't mean crap in the end.

2000 feet would be nice, but I think we'll be waiting a while. This boom may be fizzling out.

Some financial types think that euphoria over skyscrapers is a signal to sell short. There's been plenty of eurphoria recently. This boom is about a year or two until it will be done.
These days, rich men with from all around the world bring loads of $ to buy luxury condo in nyc like women buy louis vuitton bags so the demand will not stop anytime soon but imo manhattan probably dont need a 2000 feet megatall which might badly dwarf the iconic buildings that make nyc the big apple
TheFuturistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:08 PM   #56366
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

NYC does not need any mega-tall buildings. It would ruin the iconic skyline. All those towers going up in midtown are going to be tall enough in my opinion. We aren't China, we don't need huge flashy buildings to assert our dominance. We are already the best city in the world, with the most iconic buildings and plenty of extremely tall towers up and going up.

Jrobinson84 liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #56367
BLACKDAHLIA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 106

TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 2294

Quote:

TheFuturistic:
These days, rich men with from all around the world bring loads of $ to buy luxury condo in nyc like women buy louis vuitton bags so the demand will not stop anytime soon but imo manhattan probably dont need a 2000 feet megatall which might badly dwarf the iconic buildings that make nyc the big apple

No way!..Why do i begin my day with the most gloomy and pessimistic quotes ever!
City-of-Platinum existential and semantic issues would fit better imo in some psychoanalytical forum and TheFuturistic'one is quite surreal:Considering NY history,stating that a 2000 feet would dwarf the city's iconic buildings is like saying that we should have put Florence under a dome after the Renaissance!
Paris is dying for being so shy and is overpassed by London and her innovative architecture.I LOVE NY and do not want Shanghai to be the new world icon.

Last edited by BLACKDAHLIA; October 23rd, 2014 at 06:00 PM.
BLACKDAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #56368
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:

What do you mean when you say a year or two from fizzling out; a year or two fizzling out of proposals from upcoming towers in the next decade?
Or, a year or two of total construction phasing out in New York City?
Well, I'm saying this because we still have the entire Hudson Yards neighborhood, GCT FAR rights being approved, along with One Vanderbilt. The 57th St. corridor steaming towers like a spa, and many more to come. I believe this boom will continue on for a decade or more, and in the process giving us a 2000' when the city is ready for it.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #56369
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

So is it really opening this Monday?
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #56370
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Wasn't it November?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #56371
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

http://iconosquare.com/p/837930122565476377_688111879http://iconosquare.com/p/837917658880390781_575006516
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #56372
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Sources have been saying the 27th, and I haven't heard anything otherwise since that. We'll see...
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #56373
weidncol

Old October 24th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #56374
WTCman

Likes (Received): 15

Here is the official date...

One World Trade to Open Nov. 3, But Ceremony is TBD

by Eliot Brown

on October 23, 2014

Quote:
Nine years after ground was broken on North America’s tallest building, One World Trade Center is set to open its doors Nov. 3 to publisher Condé Nast, its principal tenant, according to people familiar with the date.

Just don’t expect any fanfare—at least at first.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is developing the tower, is planning an official ceremony to mark the occasion later in November, after the Nov. 4 election, representatives of the agency said. The Port Authority is controlled by the governors of the two states.

“Governor Cuomo’s and Governor Christie’s offices have been contacted and we are trying to find a mutual date that works,” said Chris Valens, a spokesman for the Port Authority. “But obviously the end of October is highly problematic for anyone who is at all aware of government and political reality.”

The decision comes after the two governors’ offices and others involved spent weeks going back and forth about dates, ultimately failing to agree on one before Condé’s move, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.

Of course, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie have been busy. Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, faces reelection on Nov. 4, while Mr. Christie is the chairman of the Republican Governors Association, and has been traveling frequently to other states.

Condé’s move on Nov. 3 doesn’t include the entire company. It is planning to move in multiple waves from its midtown offices, ultimately finishing up in January.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
WTCman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #56375
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Finally!!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #56376
baronson

Likes (Received): 712

That American flag podium lighting will not help in convincing my friends that the building is named "One World Trade Center" and not "Freedom Tower." Oh boy.

Slightly related, I wonder if the podium lighting has the capability for programable dynamic lighting like the ESB does for special occasions.
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #56377
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16986

from earlier this evening

World Trade Center 4 & 1 in Lower Manhattan by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #56378
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
That American flag podium lighting will not help in convincing my friends that the building is named "One World Trade Center" and not "Freedom Tower." Oh boy.

Slightly related, I wonder if the podium lighting has the capability for programable dynamic lighting like the ESB does for special occasions.
Yep.

Last edited by weidncol; October 24th, 2014 at 05:26 AM.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #56379
TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDAHLIA View Post

No way!..Why do i begin my day with the most gloomy and pessimistic quotes ever!
City-of-Platinum existential and semantic issues would fit better imo in some psychoanalytical forum and TheFuturistic'one is quite surreal:Considering NY history,stating that a 2000 feet would dwarf the city's iconic buildings is like saying that we should have put Florence under a dome after the Renaissance!
Paris is dying for being so shy and is overpassed by London and her innovative architecture.I LOVE NY and do not want Shanghai to be the new world icon.
There are many kinds of icons. New york philharmonic is an icon in classical music. Britney is an iconic popstar. One can hardly be icon in both fields, imo.

Nyc actually was, is and will always be the inspiration for other skyscrapers mushrooming around the world. I think we should keep that inspiration purified. Nyc is a big delicious apple and if we use genemodification technology to make it as big as a pumpkin it might not be a nice apple

I dont think Paris is dying. with or without a supertall, she will never lose her glory
TheFuturistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #56380
crowe-t

Likes (Received): 21

I have a question regarding the entrances into One World Trade Center.

There's the One World Trade Center entrance on Vesey Street and the One World Observatory entrance on West Street.

Are there going to be entrances on the Fulton Street side and the side by the Performing Arts Center or are these just windowed areas? Does anyone have pictures of these two areas?

Is the raised area only on the West Street side of the building?
crowe-t no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center