daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #5641
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
The point is you can't do anything about how long it's taking. The building will be done when it's done. You should be glad there doing something down there. For 5 years their was nothing happen. It took damn near ten years to building the first WTC.
This is true, although the duration of the construction of the original WTC was closer to 12 years, only the last 4 years of this timeframe was above grade construction, steel framing of the towers began in mid 1971, and when the steel framing of the north tower reached about the 25th floor, the south tower steel framing started above grade. The south tower, (shorter of the two) topped out in December. 1974,

Excavation began in 1966, (this includes reconfigureation of city underground utilitys, train and subway trackage, and blasting of rock for laying the foundation(s), (overall, below grade work lasted about 10 years, some of this time overlapping other aspects of the construction) all the same, it still took 5 years to see something at ground level.

From what i've seen so far, the foundation(s) of this tower, will have the strength to handle anything short of a direct nuclear blast, a large percentage of the structural steel, even above grade has sheer pins for concrete encasement, as do many of the below grade floors, (look close at some photo's from a few months back an you will see steel plates with sheer pins making up actual floor ceilings) also, the first standard floor will be over 100' above grade, this will be the most interesting part of this tower, that being everything below the first standard floor, the strongest base for a skyscraper ever constructed in the world.

So however long this takes, we are witness to many "first's" in skyscraper construction.

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5642
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 923

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecitywalker View Post
It is going to be the New Goldman World Headquarters so I am assuming it will be all them...
are you talking about goldman sachs? their new headquarter will not be in the freedom tower, but a tower across the street (see last picture)
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #5643
thecitywalker

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah ... we got sidetracked...read the above...
thecitywalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5644
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
are you talking about goldman sachs? their new headquarter will not be in the freedom tower, but a tower across the street (see last picture)
no he was talking about the goldman sachs building
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #5645
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

From Flickr by boxerwriter

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #5646
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Are they drilling secants in front of the Winter Garden again? I thought they had finished that a long time ago.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #5647
HD
같같같같같같

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolmen View Post
no he was talking about the goldman sachs building
uh great, but

can anyone tell me which tenants will move to the freedom tower, please ...

Last edited by HD; August 20th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5648
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
uh great, but

can anyone tell me which tenants will move to the freedom tower, please ...

The State of New York has agreed to a 15 year lease of 415,000 square feet (38,550 square meter) of space in the Freedom Tower, with an option to extend the term of the lease and occupy up to 1,000,000 square feet (92,900 square meter).[16] The General Services Administration (GSA) has agreed to lease approximately 645,000 square feet (59,900 square meters) of space,[16][11] New York State's Office of General Services (OGS) plans to lease aproximately 412,000 square feet (38,275 square meters) of space and the China Center expects to lease approximately 190,000 square feet (17,650 square meters) in the tower[11]. In April 2008, the Port Authority announced that it was seeking a bidder to operate an 18,000 square foot observation deck on the tower's 102nd floor.[17]
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #5649
HD
같같같같같같

thanks.

sounds a bit like subsidies to me. I guess most private companies were scared of taking space there. I would be scared to work there - the ft will be a prime target for a new terrorist attack. I just hope we don't have to go through this in the foreseeable future. I guess this is going to be the most protected building in town.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #5650
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Well, there were a lot of government agencies in the first WTC too.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5651
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Looks like they are pouring concrete into the south core.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #5652
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10321

guys, cut the shit. no more talk about 9-11 or terrorism.
this thread is about wtc construction.
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM   #5653
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Likes (Received): 2

id love to see the day that this thing gets past street level...ill be dead before that happens
ccfc-4-life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM   #5654
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

Concrete Pour today

Well it appears that they are pouring the concrete in the South Core today. There are pumps and concrete trucks working. This time next week the South Core will rise again. I wonder why they stopped working on the North Core! anybody know?
Lance
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM   #5655
Pinkie
I got the brain too.

Likes (Received): 3

Picture Update

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Pinkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM   #5656
Levelup
Just one higher...

Likes (Received): 2

In photo number two there's a curious looking building with what looks like a giant speaker on top. May i ask what that building is?
Is it used so new yorkers can shout abuse and taunt people living on the other side of the river???

Last edited by Levelup; August 21st, 2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Coz i'm crap at his
Levelup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM   #5657
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
Well it appears that they are pouring the concrete in the South Core today. There are pumps and concrete trucks working. This time next week the South Core will rise again. I wonder why they stopped working on the North Core! anybody know?
Lance
I actually looks like it might not even be a pour in south core, it looks like they're pouring the floor between the core and the west outer wall. But can't tell exactly but hopefully we'll see north core move in a year time.

Last edited by buildmilehightower; August 21st, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #5658
pattali

Likes (Received): 235

because in February they found that concrete was too bad in the north core and they removed it. Look at this story some page before.
This building is the winter garden from WFC, nice site !
pattali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM   #5659
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

and now they've replaced the bad and bubbly concrete on the north core, so we expect it to rise again...
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM   #5660
LAYZIEDOGG
Los Santos

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
OH you don't like how long there taking. Why don't you go down there and show those guys how it's done without half assing the work. This building could get done alot fast if, the people who bitch about it progress. Got jobs down there and help out. I say if your not doing anything to help, then you can't complain.
Do I speak Chinese?
I only say I'd like to see the progress going faster, but because its a complex structure (or other reasons that I don't know of) I fully understand why it's going slower than "normal".
I just want to see it rising, cause I like the building. I don't demand the construction workers to work harder!
And I am not going to help, I think the construction would go anything BUT faster then, clumsy as I am

But enough said, back to FT!
LAYZIEDOGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center