daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5881
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Very recent video, nice to see those progress close up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clVGrEH5Y8
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #5882
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

it seems there are peolpe making excusies for why its takeing so damn long. really this is not complicated construction at all and romanamerican this is by far not one of the biggest sites. its small, only 16 acres. thats not even close to the biggest
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5883
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

finally someone who understands me....and who sees the things without beeing blended by overstatements that are hiding facts that the involved peolpe have ****ed up this project partly....
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #5884
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Why do people coming here saying the same shit. We know it slow, you don't seem smarter by point it out. Don't like the way it's going to bad, get over it. If you don't have anything postive to say about this building. You might not want to post here.

I'm sick of read the same bull over and over again.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #5885
germantower
i ♥ NY

i wasn´t complaining about that it is going so slow, i was complaining about the excuses that were used to justify this slow progress e.g. complexity etc.......this is a small difference i think.....

BTW a thread lives from sharing opinions and if noone may tell the others the own opinion and not just the opinion that the majority has, why does then this thread exists when we ware only allowed to speak about a cramped spectrum of a topic related to a project?

Last edited by germantower; September 9th, 2008 at 04:01 AM.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #5886
LoKeY

Likes (Received): 26

every time i come here i have to read the same crap about the pace of construction, and every time it's 2 or 3 of the same people complaining... yes it's a SMALL difference, it doesn't excuse it tho. The tower's doing fine, i wonder what some of you will find after steel starts coming up...

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #5887
helghast

its the same with the Chicago spire, and germantower was not complaining about how slow it is. does anybody have a recent pic ?
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #5888
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
it seems there are peolpe making excusies for why its takeing so damn long. really this is not complicated construction at all and romanamerican this is by far not one of the biggest sites. its small, only 16 acres. thats not even close to the biggest
It is in the top 20 for area. In over 1000 (approximation) projects u/c around the world (not counting projects in non-industrialized countries), it can be defined as "one of the biggest" (this statement can be used usually for the top 100 projects, on the total worldwide), so yes, I repeat what I said. If you have proof that is not in the top 100, please provide info. If not, the only thing you can LOL about is ignorance, your own.

germantower

Quote:
i wasn´t complaining about that it is going so slow, i was complaining about the excuses that were used to justify this slow progress e.g. complexity etc.......this is a small difference i think.....
The reasons I provided do not justify the time it is taking for construction, it is explaining the complexity. If you can provide proof for ALL the reasons I stated in the previous posts (only one can suffice to prove the difference with any other construction, since each of the points regards a reason). If not, just a lot of hot air.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #5889
germantower
i ♥ NY

1) give us a link where we can find this list.

2) I was complaining about the excuses before you replied my message and why should i give prooves that your statements are right?
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #5890
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Germantower I am not sure how to respond to your posts but all I can deduct from them is:

1. You have either never been to New York or you have no clue what this site means and
2. You act as if your opinions are facts.

There aren't any excuses as to why this is taking long. The facts are that this build is being built over a subway line that has cause the northern core to take about 3-5 months before the next pour.

Other reasons for delay are unrealistic rebuilding schedule, tons of bickering from the many interested parties in this very sensitive project and in the past political egos that delayed the projects movement. Aside from that I don't see the excuses.

Maybe you should build this building? Apparently you seem to think you know how to build it faster.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #5891
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post

2) I was complaining about the excuses before you replied my message and why should i give prooves that your statements are right?

Take it
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #5892
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
I'm sorry you are just plain wrong.

How many of those projects over 16 acres in size are located over two mass transit lines that cannot be shutdown, in the middle of the most densely developed land in the world, adjacent to new highway construction, mass transit construction, skyscraper demolition and memorial construction?

Show me a project with all of those attributes that is being built faster and you have a point.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #5893
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post

1) Sorry but my sources are not on line. I'm a sophomore in civil engineering (not long I know, but enough to start to gather information) and we use principally books for our research projects, since internet can't be considered a reliable source for most of the information concerning engineering (it is not a general statement, unfortunately internet provides the means of writing whatever you want at no cost). I'll look to stumble on the title of the book, but I can't provide a link since it is on paper. But at least a confirmation can be found if you google the information, none of which can be considered an "official" source.

2) No, it's the opposite. You have to prove me wrong. If you can't, your argument does not stand (that is, your statement on how "this project isn't more complex from any other project in the world"). Logic with proof is the way to sustain an argument. I'm failing to provide the second (for the reasons I already explained), you are failing to provide both.

p.s.
Quote:
finally someone who understands me....and who sees the things without beeing blended by overstatements that are hiding facts that the involved peolpe have ****ed up this project partly....
this comment (post 5890) was written at 8:53 PM after your previous post at 4:15 PM. That is 42 minutes after I wrote my second answer (3:33 PM) and far later my first post where I explained everything (1:43 PM on september 7th ). So you were complaining ALSO after I had answered, not only before.

Last edited by romanamerican; September 9th, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #5894
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #5895
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomosexualSkyscraper View Post
very slow
not fast
how long will this last?
9/11 is almost 7 years in the past
empire state in 1930's, 13 months it took
dont belive me? look in a book
our country has been taken over by beaurocrats, nimbys and crooks
take a lesson from our forefathers who built this great city
apply it to the present, the future, the current state of NY is just plain shitty
let the freedom tower ring
You are the worst poet in the world. Why did you waste our time?
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #5896
helghast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I'm sorry you are just plain wrong.

How many of those projects over 16 acres in size are located over two mass transit lines that cannot be shutdown, in the middle of the most densely developed land in the world, adjacent to new highway construction, mass transit construction, skyscraper demolition and memorial construction?

Show me a project with all of those attributes that is being built faster and you have a point.
theres the Big Dig which is alot more bigger and compliated. theres the Chicago's deep tunnel. 16 acres is not much, thats small compared to alot of projects in the world. the skyscraper demolition really doens thave an effect to the site. and where do u get that ny is the most densely developed land in the world ? i belive thats somewhere in china thats most densely developed land in the world.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5897
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's even more than the site itself. What's being built on this plot of land is unprecedented in many ways: from green technology to new structural and safety standards for skyscrapers all over the rest of the planet, and more; it's the largest and greatest office complex in the world being built all over again. With that and everything else in mind, such as the complexities and realities of the site and skyscraper construction, and I assure you that none of it is piffle, things are going very well.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5898
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
theres the Big Dig which is alot more bigger and compliated. theres the Chicago's deep tunnel. 16 acres is not much, thats small compared to alot of projects in the world. the skyscraper demolition really doens thave an effect to the site. and where do u get that ny is the most densely developed land in the world ? i belive thats somewhere in china thats most densely developed land in the world.
The smaller the worse is my experience. If you build for example in Dubai (especially in the early days) you could dump your materials wherever you wanted and as long as you wanted, space enough. In dense urban area's you don't have those options. Most materials are delivered 'just in time'. The rebar for a floor is delivered and about a few hours later it's being used. So if a truck enters a traffic jam your screwed and you have a delay.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5899
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Do you have any idea how long the Big Dig and Deep Tunnel projects took to construct? You're using them as examples of projects that are faster than the WTC rebuilding?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #5900
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

What was that structure? ( in the other photo it is demolished ). Some remaining part of the old WTC ?

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center