daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #6161
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
They are pouring concrete near the north core. Might be that they are finally getting the floors that will be providing sheer support to allow the north core to go up again.
north core to go up AGAIN?

you mean north core to go up FINALLY. LOL

hope I see north core go up this month, and most likely it will.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6162
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

difficult to see where exactly the pour, i woldn't be so sure that it is the core
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #6163
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240872

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Port Authority shocker: Trade Center making progress
Report due Thursday to conclude Silverstein can finish on schedule.

October 1, 2008

The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is slated to announce Thursday that it will meet all its obligations to lay the groundwork that will allow Larry Silverstein to complete the three towers he is developing at World Trade Center site by 2012 as scheduled, sources say.

Thursday’s report, these say sources, will be nowhere near as bleak as imagined last June.

One source attributes the new, more optimistic view of progress at Ground Zero to design and engineering changes made in recent weeks. Currently, the Port Authority's Freedom Tower, like Mr. Silverstein’s buildings, are due to be finished by 2012.
Great news indeed
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #6164
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Posted on SSP:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...19973/1058/toc

Port Authority shocker: Trade Center making progress
Report due Thursday to conclude Silverstein can finish on schedule.

October 1, 2008

The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is slated to announce Thursday that it will meet all its obligations to lay the groundwork that will allow Larry Silverstein to complete the three towers he is developing at World Trade Center site by 2012 as scheduled, sources say.

Thursday’s report, these say sources, will be nowhere near as bleak as imagined last June.

One source attributes the new, more optimistic view of progress at Ground Zero to design and engineering changes made in recent weeks. Currently, the Port Authority's Freedom Tower, like Mr. Silverstein’s buildings, are due to be finished by 2012.

Quote:
difficult to see where exactly the pour, i woldn't be so sure that it is the core
I would say its def. not a core

Last edited by webeagle12; October 2nd, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM   #6165
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
It looks like they're focusing on getting the underground areas finished before they start on the actual tower portion.

One thing I've noticed in the recent pictures - the north (or is it the south?) side of the core is not as long as the other side. I wonder why that is and why it has been sitting at the same level for months now. I assume the core is not going to be lopsided, so are they eventually going to extend that part of the core so that it is symmetrical with the side that is above street level?
That I'm alive
Flowers thrive
Realise
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #6166
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

"The increased cost of One World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower, is due to price escalation and project changes, including increasing the size of the observation deck from one to two levels and reducing the restaurant to one level to accommodate the projected number of visitors to the rooftop location."
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6167
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Freedom Tower, centerpiece of the plan to rebuild Manhattan's World Trade Center, will not be completed until 2013, well past the original target date of 2009, the landowning agency for the site said on Thursday.

The 1,776-foot (541-meter) tower, which is meant to symbolize the city's revival after the September 11, 2001 attacks, will cost $3.1 billion, said Christopher Ward, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM   #6168
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
"The increased cost of One World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower, is due to price escalation and project changes, including increasing the size of the observation deck from one to two levels and reducing the restaurant to one level to accommodate the projected number of visitors to the rooftop location."
I agree with all your observations regarding reasons the price has increased except for the changes to the observation deck/restaurant. That change should reduce the price to a degree since the observation area will not require any where near the amount of utilities and construction that the restraunt area would. Of course for this project anything is an excuse to raise the price!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #6169
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Ladies & Gentlemen, Your New and Improved WTC Timetable! (Results Not Guaranteed.)
Thursday, October 2, 2008, by Joey

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/10/0...nteed.php#more

The Port Authority issued its long-awaited report setting a new road map for the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site, the ass-kicking, name-taking final say on when our city's great shame will be replaced by memorials, museums, trains and gleaming glass towers filled with worker bees of uncertain employment. Now, the issued press release just deals with the parts of the plan the Port Authority is in charge of (Freedom Tower, Santiago Calatrava's PATH station, the extension of Greenwich Street, etc.), but it is believed that developer Larry Silverstein will deliver Towers 3 and 4 in 2012, and Tower 2 (the diamondy one) a year later. On to the details!

September 11, 2011: As previously reported, the aim is to have the September 11 Memorial open for the tenth anniversary of the attacks. According to the PA, "To make this commitment, the Port Authority developed a construction solution that allows the roof of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub’s mezzanine to be built first instead of last as had been originally programmed. That roof will serve as the floor of the Memorial Plaza and allow the project to be accelerated."

2012: The Vehicle Security Center, the underground access point for the commercial development on the site and one of the tricky projects that has been holding everything back, will be completed between the first and third quarters of 2012.

2012: The new Greenwich Street, "the front door to Towers 2, 3 and 4, and a key access point to the Memorial" will be completed between the second and fourth quarters of 2012. Hey, that's ahead of schedule!

2013: The underground September 11 Museum will be completed between the first and second quarters of 2013.

2013: One World Trade Center, aka the Freedom Tower, is scheduled for completion between the second and fourth quarters of 2013.

2013-2014: Oh, Santiago. The World Trade Center Transportation Hub will be completed between the fourth quarter of 2013 and the second quarter of 2014 (we'll go ahead and assume 2014), at a cost of $3.2 billion. By the way, that's more expensive than the Freedom Tower, which will cost $3.1 billion.

And there you have it. One thing that seems to be forgotten is the Frank Gehry-designed Performing Arts building, the white block between the Freedom Tower and Tower 2 in the model shot above. Did they just kill the thing, or is that crazy GehryTheaterTrain idea across the street still in play? Oh, and then there's the Fulton Transit Hub, and whatever's going up when the Deutsche Bank Building comes down, and—oh, forget it. Port Authority, it's your moment, baby!
CityPolice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM   #6170
Rockvegas

Likes (Received): 37

Sunshine Coast Daily

World Trade Centre site projects delayed

Published 6:04a.m. 3rd October 2008

Owners of the World Trade Center site scaled back designs for a multibillion-dollar transit hub and delayed other projects by several years.
They said costs will still be more than $US1 billion ($A1.27 billion) over budget.

In a widely awaited 70-page report on the rebuilding of ground zero, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said the elaborate rail hub will cost $US3.2 billion ($A4 billion), $US700 million ($A887 million) more than planned, and should open in 2014, five years after the original completion date.

The planned memorial to the September 11, 2001, attacks will be finished by the 10th anniversary, the report said, except that some of the 500 trees in a cobblestone plaza may not be planted and a visitor's centre may not be open.

Governor David Paterson and Mayor Michael Bloomberg had publicly urged the agency to guarantee completion by the anniversary.

An underground September 11 museum should open in 2013, four years later than originally planned.

Completion of the signature project, a 541-metre Freedom Tower now under construction, is about $US200 million ($A253.71 million) over budget and will be delayed several months to 2013.

The agency did not set schedules for four other office towers planned for the site or for a performing arts centre, and did not issue a final budget for the memorial.

"While we still face many challenges ahead, we believe we have created a level of certainty and control over this project that has been missing since its inception," the agency's executive director, Christopher Ward, said in a letter to Paterson.

Port Authority officials declined to take questions after releasing the report, saying they would join the governor at an afternoon news conference.

Ward said he realised the new deadlines "will be met with a degree of skepticism".

Deadlines for almost every project at the site have changed since plans were first introduced in 2003.

Ward acknowledged the new schedule could also change.
"I cannot promise that we will meet every single milestone every step of the way," he wrote.

Bloomberg, who chairs the foundation building the memorial, and foundation officials had pressured the agency to commit to a 10th anniversary opening, saying the public must be able to visit the area by that symbolic date.
Rockvegas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:24 AM   #6171
SlinkyNY
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

...right when you think that this mediocre tower planned by the most pathetic agency on earth (Port Authority) has bottomed out in terms of construction timetables... they tell you 2013...lol... why even continue to build this monstrosity.

It's just another 5-years...lol. The next President won't see this thing built, lo.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:54 AM   #6172
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Oh it's you again. hmmmm I could careless when they say it will be done. They need to throw out the timeline all together. Then maybe it will get done. Tower 1 will be done in less then 3 years. With the way our money is going who knows.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:28 AM   #6173
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
By all means, if you know what the deal is with that side of the core then let me know. I realize it is difficult due to the PATH tracks, but as I said it isn't a complete rectangle like the other side and I don't know why.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #6174
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

So what exactly will be with this transit hub? Anyone? Are they using the Calatrava's
design or they scrapped it altogether?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM   #6175
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

They are using the same design, just the mezzanine will be slightly changed.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6176
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Oh it's you again. hmmmm I could careless when they say it will be done. They need to throw out the timeline all together. Then maybe it will get done. Tower 1 will be done in less then 3 years. With the way our money is going who knows.
It's unpredictable right now.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #6177
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

LOL about the last article that mentioned the delays, we had a simmilar article months ago with nearly the same content.

So i say:

I know i was one of the ones, that have complained about the progress on the site. But hey now it´s really progressing well. Everything is UC now. The memorials structural construction makes noticable progress, they removed the temporary PATH terminal, are preparing the foundations of tower 2 - 4 and so on. I think NOW the progress seems to be pretty good, compared to the past "construction" activities on the site.
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #6178
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

The south side of the south core has clean black floor of area ready for possibly concrete pour.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #6179
InfinitoGC
GC: King of Cities

Likes (Received): 29

That tower is going along nicely!
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #6180
Roel

Likes (Received): 2

Update Sep. 24th, '08
- The tower is well above ground level -
[IMG]http://i35.************/2cftuzt.jpg[/IMG]
Click on the image below to enlarge:
[IMG]http://i35.************/28r1h5d.jpg[/IMG]
Roel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center