daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #6261
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

That would be an incredible feat if they did^
Birdboy08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #6262
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Believe me I had my doubts too, but since somebody has written it somewhere, I just needed some confirmation. There could be a explanation that I didn't know of.
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #6263
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

One floor per week isn't very uncommon. Once they get the system set up on the common floors, they certainly should be able to achieve such a goal. The fastest skyscrapers rise at 2 floors a week or even slightly faster.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #6264
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
One floor per week isn't very uncommon. Once they get the system set up on the common floors, they certainly should be able to achieve such a goal. The fastest skyscrapers rise at 2 floors a week or even slightly faster.
So it could be right?
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #6265
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Looks like a very late night pour. hard to see where the concrete arm is right now, but there are 2 concrete trucks right up against the concrete pumper.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #6266
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Q4 2009: Begin erection of tower steel
For those who were freaking out about this, I think it means that they won't start building the office tower section until that time, but we'll see the podium/mech/lobby section with the first floors go up. It really doesn't matter since it's progressing well right now.
I was referring to page 50 where it says "Concrete Slabs to Grade substantially complete", but now that I look at it again, I see that it's in the Q3 2009 row, not Q4 2009. This will mean that it will have taken about two and a half years for the tower to reach street level. Also, the original Twin Towers did go up at about a floor a week, but you have to remember that the original towers were designed completely different than the Freedom Tower. The steel-framed construction allowed for the steel columns to be assembled in three-story sections off site, trucked directly to the site and installed right away. The Freedom Tower (as well as all of the other buildings) have a concrete core, which means that it takes a lot longer for the workers to tediously put together a frame of steel rebar piece by piece before concrete can be poured, then they have to wait for it to dry.

Still, the Burj Dubai also has a concrete core and went up at about a floor a week, but I think that's just because they had their workers working insane shifts and long hours. I'd be happy if the Freedom Tower goes up at about a floor every 1 and a half weeks. The Port Authority has the topping out of the building in the Q4 2011 row, about 117 weeks after the tower reaches street level. The tower will be 102 floors high. That's about a floor every 1.15 weeks. Seems a bit optimistic to me, but let's hope.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6267
ramvid01

It seems that last night pour was about 7 hours long. I believe they were pouring the southern core, which means it will jump once again.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #6268
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

AHHHH I was hoping you would say northern core will jump, but progress is progress.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #6269
RKOwens

Yeah, I noticed yesterday on the webcam that the forms (or whatever they're called) for the south core were closed. They'll probably let it dry over the weekend and begin raising it on Monday. By the way, does anyone know how many feet (height wise) of concrete is poured for each jump?

I think the reason the north core is taking so long and is so far behind is because, as is stated in the October progress report, the PATH track runs directly through it (on one corner). I believe they're only able to work on it when they're able to temporarily shut down the path track. Once they get the section of it around the PATH tunnel finished, it should rise at the same rate as the southern core.

Last edited by RKOwens; October 11th, 2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #6270
ramvid01

I have been saying that for months lol.

And I believe it is 13-15 feet per pour of concrete.
Old October 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #6271
texdago
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Q4 2009: Begin erection of tower steel
For those who were freaking out about this, I think it means that they won't start building the office tower section until that time, but we'll see the podium/mech/lobby section with the first floors go up. It really doesn't matter since it's progressing well right now.

That would mean that we gotta wait for a year before the real fun starts?
texdago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #6272
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

A section of the basement just went up a level between the south core and the walkway arches. I hope someone can post some up up-close pics for all of us.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #6273
kaz110
BANNED

kaz110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #6274
SCWTC4
NYC fan

Likes (Received): 89

i love the twins, but this is just trolling.

- ... And now no longer ! -
SCWTC4 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #6275
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Dont post shit.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6276
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

If they rebuild the twin towers nobody will go into them cause it brings bad memories and everyone will be scared of that happening all over again and wont even go in the towers. So I think new buildings are needed.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6277
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

There has been no activity at all on the Tower 2 site for the past few days, which is actually a good sign since it means the PA is done with what they had to do and as mentioned will be turning the site over to Larry Silverstein in a day or two. All of Freedom Tower's friend's will be in some phase of construction soon.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6278
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

come on now, kaz110. It wont happen anyway mate.
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #6279
kaz110
BANNED

Rebuild The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center !

They have been blasted by people Twin Towers, they do not value which be complex that symboli WTC. There was fine building and but symbol case NYC, USA and whole world economies to brutal manner by people of authorities abolished 9/11.
It by band of plotter for maintenance of authority eighth miracle of world XX century abolished Twin Towers, in heart of manhatten winning of valuable area.

Rebuild The Twin Towers NOW !
kaz110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #6280
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

OK calm down, but you may want to say that to the authority because they're the ones that can change things init? I can arrange time to help you with protesting but we'll probaly be waisting time doing that anyway.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center