daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6301
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

The payout was $7.1 billion but nobody could pay him that amount of money, so he only got $2.2 billion right?

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #6302
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

$16.5 billion is the amount needed to build the WHOLE site. The Port Authority is building the transit hub which will cost close to 4 billion (it was 3.4 billion in feb 2007, and it is higher now). Plus the amount of money that the 9/11 memorial is going to cost (around a billion?) and close to 3 billion on the construction of the freedom tower (which the PA is paying for, but silverstein is building).
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6303
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

a lot of people made money on 9/11... its a sad fact, but true, if you dont believe that then take an economics class. i am suprised tho at how much the memorial cost ($1 billion?) does that include the 9/11 museum too? or is it just the footprint fountains?
cmjohns6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #6304
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

price including museum
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #6305
Guest89
----SSC Ū----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohns6 View Post
a lot of people made money on 9/11... its a sad fact, but true, if you dont believe that then take an economics class. i am suprised tho at how much the memorial cost ($1 billion?) does that include the 9/11 museum too? or is it just the footprint fountains?
Thats true, Bin Laden and the "terrorists" didn't win or gain anything from it, now they have to hide and be careful with what they do, and The Bush Administration and all the insiders did, so i think its a collaboration. But lets stay on topic should we.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6306
Downfallen

Likes (Received): 2

It wouldn't have actually been a bad idea...and would have been the ultimate 'middle finger up' to the Terrorist's
Rebuild the Twin Towers....so that two externally identical designs sit exactly where the old ones were.
Downfallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #6307
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5448

Given the recent trend towards hypertall towers, the 400 something metre roof height of this tower does seem to make it somewhat underwhelming.

I find it dissappointing that NYC is not competing on a global scale anymore.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #6308
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Given the recent trend towards hypertall towers, the 400 something metre roof height of this tower does seem to make it somewhat underwhelming.

I find it dissappointing that NYC is not competing on a global scale anymore.
In New York as well as the rest of the United States buildings are designed to be economically feasible not to show how wealthy someone is. In addition U.s. regulations prohibit buildings taller than 2000' this limit has never been tested and could probably be changed but challenging it would just add more cost to a building that was already economically unfeasible!

Let Dubai and other countries to become rich at America's expense spend the money on these frivolous towers and give some of their money back to the United States!
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #6309
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
That part is partially true. Here is a dose of reality:

Instead of renovation, Silverstein is rebuilding, funded by the insurance coverage on the property which 'fortuitously' covered acts of terrorism. Even better, Silverstein filed TWO insurance claims for the maximum amount of the policy, based on the two, in Silverstein's view, separate attacks. The total potential payout is $7.1 billion, more than enough to build a fabulous new complex and leave a hefty profit for the Silverstein Group, including Larry Silverstein himself.
It wasn't just Silverstein's view. The judge in the case RULED that the two hijackings and two crashes be treated as two terrorist attacks. Also, Silverstein's original insurance policy was for $3.55 billion, which if doubled would equal $7.1 billion. However, Silverstein and several of his 24 insurers still had not completed the final negotiations and signed off on any final insurance policy, therefore several of the 24 insurers got out of having to pay double. So the amount he received was greater than the $3.55 billion, but still less than the full $7.1 billion he would have received had he completed signing the papers with several of his insurers.

This brings up another point: If Larry Silverstein knew the attacks were coming, why didn't he make sure to sign all of the papers with all of his insurers, to make sure that he would receive as much money as possible? Sure doesn't sound like the actions of someone who knew the attacks were coming to me...

Quote:
However the court ruled that it was 2 different acts of terrorism. And gave him more profit than your number. I am not saying he was responsible for the attacks, but his wallet got fatter as a result and had the option to build this new beautiful complex instead of the old out-dated rusty WTC towers which were considered to be demolish since they were covered with asbestos and cleaning them would cost a lot and were dropping in value and were wasting more than were giving.
False. The asbestos was only applied to the lower 38 floors of the North Tower only when it was outlawed in 1970, at which point its application stopped. There was no asbestos above the 38th floor in the North Tower, nor in any of the South Tower. WTC7, built in the 1980s and also destroyed on 9/11, had no asbestos. Furthermore, the Port Authority wanted to sue its insurers in 1991 for them to cover the cost of removing the asbestos in the North Tower and estimated the cost at $200 million. (Truthers claim it was $600 million, but the article they refer to includes $400 million for JFK airport. The World Trade Center by itself was only $200 million.) The repair costs after the 1993 terrorist attack were over $500 million. $200 million was pocket change to the Port Authority, literally. Does it make sense for them to spend $16.5 billion in rebuilding costs, to avoid paying $200 million? Come on.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6310
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Let's try again, shall we? I'm re-opening this thread, only this time I won't hesitate to ban people who feel the need to disrupt it.

Please try to understand: this is a project thread, which consists of photos and discussions about the construction of the tower.

That means NO off-topic/political discussions/conspiracy theories, trolling or personal insults.

Thank you.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #6311
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Thx for opening this thread wjfox, so where are we now?

I think the latest pictures showed the basement floors just one floor under street level. Am i right?
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM   #6312
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Looks like it. Also they've put up some sort of bridge over the future West St connector.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM   #6313
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Anybody have a news of any kind, from the pass few days?
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #6314
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

the south core has risen one floor again
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM   #6315
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

indeed but there surely must be a specific reason why north core is not as active as the south.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM   #6316
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241059

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the south core has risen one floor again
Sounds nice
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM   #6317
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
indeed but there surely must be a specific reason why north core is not as active as the south.
yes, there's a reason...you can find it in that thread
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:36 AM   #6318
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

The South Core Riseth!

image hosted on flickr

From katelynrushe
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM   #6319
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

That's a sweet pic .

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM   #6320
Metalus

Likes (Received): 1

I like the sun window reflections, the construction site must be like a disco during the twilight work hours.
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center