daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #6521
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Thanks for sharing the video. I wish you would just hold camera still instead shaking it too much. That made me feeling little sick when you shake your camera.
Sorry, I just used the video feature on my little point and shoot camera. Both the video and audio are a lot better than I expected (better than my cell phone camera video at least), but yeah the shaking is nauseating.

Quote:
Does anyone know how long until this building really start to grow? A few months?
I don't think that progress on the Freedom Tower will REALLY pick up steam until about a year from now, even though things are moving faster than they have been. The October progress report said that the concrete slabs would reach street level in the 3rd quarter of 2009 and the installation of the steel columns would begin towards the end of 2009. Though, if progress on the core continues at its current pace (of one jump a month, or 14 feet), the core at least will have reached about 156 feet high by next year's anniversary... which will be a pretty sight.

Personally I'm more looking forward to the progress on the memorial. Concrete pouring is expected in December. They've also been unearthing and preparing the concrete foundations for many more columns throughout the north tower's footprint, so it looks like more columns will be installed very, very soon (maybe today or tomorrow).
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #6522
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah, they are going to remove the WTC ramp in a few weeks.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #6523
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

I'm also looking forward to seeing more progress on the Memorial side of things. I really look forward to seeing the footprints of the old towers. I can't wait for the deckover of the plaza to take shape. I want to see more of the actual finished product than just some big hole in the ground.

The whole site is just an amazing project. I can't wait to see everything finished in 5-6 years. What a statement it will be for America to show the terrorists, What you destroy, we can rebuild (and better!).
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6524
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Here's some close up work on the west side of the core.
image hosted on flickr

Thanks to cmkalina
image hosted on flickr

Thanks to road_less_trvled.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6525
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Yeah, they are going to remove the WTC ramp in a few weeks.
True, in December they want to begin with it but it could be delayed (again).
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #6526
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

did you take those photos basincreek?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6527
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

No, I found them on Flickr.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #6528
ChapinUrbano

Likes (Received): 4972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I made a gif of construction progress over the last year or so, but even the even the smallest sized gif was about 3MB so I really had no options like Photobucket or Imageshack when I wanted to upload it and I don't trust the site I uploaded it to, but I hope you people can see it:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/cc05b...dcea2eb93ef3c3
Thanks for the gif, looks very good.
ChapinUrbano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #6529
Tylow

Likes (Received): 26

Can someone please explain (with a picture if possible) what prevents the north core from rising, I dont get it.

Thanks.
Tylow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6530
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

no need for pictures, there a subway line under there.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #6531
Ebola
BANNED

The northern part of the core needs extra reinforcement and such and also they can't work on it as much because of the tracks, but I'm sure we'll see it rise this month.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #6532
bouw82

bouw82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #6533
KnowitallSkyScraper

If it were up to me, I would not have constructed the Freedom Tower, just the buildings surrounding it.

That would have looked nice. IMO.
KnowitallSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #6534
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

thanx god it's not up to you.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #6535
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowitallSkyScraper View Post
If it were up to me, I would not have constructed the Freedom Tower, just the buildings surrounding it.

That would have looked nice. IMO.
Of course it's obviously all personal taste, but I feel the exact opposite. I absolutely love the current design for 1WTC and would even if it stood alone. It's a modern tribute to the behemoths that towered over Manhattan in the past, and it's a workplace and symbol for Manhattan's future.

I feel as though the other towers are mainly there to replace office space, and are generously decorated to look nice for us. But it's 1WTC... That's our symbol. Its size is unnecessary to fill the workspace quota. It could be much smaller. But it stands at the height we lost. Its design is unnecessary to fulfill Libeskind's vision, it could have remained a skeleton. But it retains the shape we lost. It's the ghost of the giants we lost.

But, unlike his neighbors, this is more than an "office-building". This 1WTC is not made just for the few who will work there. This building, guys, this one belongs to us; the observers and the visitors.

I expect the future will be happy with the "unnecessary" choices of the past. World Trade Center has always meant something more than "offices".
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #6536
Ebola
BANNED

"World trade means world peace and consequently the World Trade Center buildings in New York had a bigger purpose than just to provide room for tenants. The World Trade Center is a living symbol of man's dedication to world peace; beyond the compelling need to make this a monument to world peace, the World Trade Center should, because of its importance, become a representation of man's belief in humanity, his need for individual dignity, his beliefs in the cooperation of men, and through cooperation, his ability to find greatness." -Minoru Yamasaki, WTC architect, 1973

It would have been so sad if Minoru Yamasaki lived to see 9/11. However, the spirit of the old WTC remains invincible and will emerge in the new complex.

Last edited by Ebola; November 14th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #6537
RKOwens

Chris Ward has responded to the questions from the public on wtcprogress.com. Some of the answers are informative, but on others he seems to be intentionally trying to avoid answering the simple question. Someone asked if there would be an open-air observation deck on the roof of the Freedom Tower in addition to the enclosed one on the upper floors (something we've all been wanting to know). Instead of a yes or no, he talks about how great the old observation deck was and how he's looking forward to the new one on the top floors of the Freedom Tower. Answer the freaking question, man!
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6538
Ebola
BANNED

I don't think so; from what I heard, there's only one staircase and one elevator going up to the roof, so it likely wouldn't be enough for the crowds of people who would flock to a 2nd observation deck, not to mention it's for maintenance, the com systems block the view and they are most likely very harmful to the human body, and it would require a redesign.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #6539
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

This is my favorite of projects currently in NYC. Can't wait!
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #6540
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

I thought I saw pictures in this thread a few days back of concrete pours at Ground Zero, but I don't remember now how recent those pics were.

I do know that when my girl and I visit NYC during the Christmas season, Ground Zero will be on the itinerary. If I can sneak a couple of pictures in, I'll sure try.
radiant_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center