daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #6581
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

the core can easily be seen above the street a couple of blocks away...i wonder how high it is now.. 50 ft?
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #6582
serendip finder

Likes (Received): 5

The memorial encompasses the footprints of the twin towers.

The total floor area to programmed to be built will be greather than that of the former WTC.
serendip finder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #6583
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
just fyi:

Q. Are their any plans to incorporate an open-air observation platform on the roof of the Freedom Tower, much like the old World Trade Center? Brett, Atlanta, GA

A.The old World Trade Center observation deck was clearly one of the top tourist attractions in New York City, and I'm pleased that the new One World Trade Center will have a similar observation deck on its top floors. Our recent projections show that we expect the new observation deck to be as popular – if not more popular – than the old one. For that reason, we're considering dedicating two upper deck floors for the observation deck.
Where are these Q&As?
Veseу no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #6584
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I think the balance between space dedicated to the memorial and space to be used for new towers is perfect:

The footprints of all 4 new towers is roughly equivalent to the footprints of the Twin Towers and there's still plenty of space left over for wider than normal sidewalks (compare the sidewalks on all 4 sides of Tower 2 in the photo above to the sidewalk around the Verizon Building - upper right - or the post office - lower right). There's no need to devote more space to the office towers. I think the park around the memorial is also the perfect size. Also, the fact that Greenwich Street runs through the site kind of determines how much space can be devoted to what anyway.

Quote:
Where are these Q&As?
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_a_intro.cfm
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #6585
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

in the above plan, below the upper right memorial and beside the visitor center there seems to be a empty space among the trees. What is this? ( it isnt mentonied with a name ) a small plaza maybe?

Spartan proverb

nunyios liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6586
Simone990
OOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
November 14th, Flickr:

image hosted on flickr
A L L A M A Z I N G
Congratulation New York
Simone990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #6587
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veseу View Post
Where are these Q&As?
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_a_intro.cfm
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #6588
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

will the greenwich street inbetween wtc3/4 and wtc memorial restore back to its function after all the construction in the ground zero is finished?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #6589
Roel

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
will the greenwich street inbetween wtc3/4 and wtc memorial restore back to its function after all the construction in the ground zero is finished?
Yes, that was the plan from the start. I wouldn't refer to this site as *ground zero* anymore, though, the term *WTC site* is more appropriate this time around.
Roel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #6590
B-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
on the web site it said they want to be done by the 2011 sept 11. little under 3 years ?. at this pace i would be amazed. It reminds me of the city union worker in my city, 3 are watching and the new guy is working. Is this project run by city offical's ?
B-Line no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #6591
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Line View Post
on the web site it said they want to be done by the 2011 sept 11. little under 3 years ?. at this pace i would be amazed. It reminds me of the city union worker in my city, 3 are watching and the new guy is working. Is this project run by city offical's ?
ok heres whats up: freedom tower will be done BEFORE 2014, finished in 2013. the memorial will not be complete until 2012 or 13, BUT it will be open just on sep 11 2011
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #6592
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The tower cranes were in use late this night; maybe we'll be seeing the core jump up soon.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #6593
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Looks like a substantial pour i s going on on the western side of the building. I am not sure if it is the core or not, but if it goes on past 2 or 3 pm it is probably the "southern" core again.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #6594
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

By looking at the web cam play back, It is a Pour in the southern core. They started around 10 last night and are still pouring. Looks like they finally have their act together in what and how to do it to make it grow faster.
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6595
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Line View Post
Not only by city officials, but by politicians! The two worst combinations in the world, unions and politicians are working in unison on this project so it will take at least three times as long as required.
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #6596
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241059

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I think the balance between space dedicated to the memorial and space to be used for new towers is perfect:

The footprints of all 4 new towers is roughly equivalent to the footprints of the Twin Towers and there's still plenty of space left over for wider than normal sidewalks (compare the sidewalks on all 4 sides of Tower 2 in the photo above to the sidewalk around the Verizon Building - upper right - or the post office - lower right). There's no need to devote more space to the office towers. I think the park around the memorial is also the perfect size. Also, the fact that Greenwich Street runs through the site kind of determines how much space can be devoted to what anyway.
The plan looks nice

From virtual-earth:

Quite old.
I see that tower WTC 7 is complete.
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #6597
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

^ tower 7 been completed for some years now.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #6598
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

This photo was taken after permission was granted from the PANYNJ.

- A
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM   #6599
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
thats where the old towers use to be.
Should the deaths of a few thousand people get in the way of commerce and stifle the building of more towers on land that arguably the most expensive in New York City?

Don't take offence to this , I'm playing Devil's advocate so I ca read other people's opinions on the matter. And please, don't use the hammer smiley thing, it's stupid.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:02 AM   #6600
runwaydiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Should the deaths of a few thousand people get in the way of commerce and stifle the building of more towers on land that arguably the most expensive in New York City?

Don't take offence to this , I'm playing Devil's advocate so I ca read other people's opinions on the matter. And please, don't use the hammer smiley thing, it's stupid.
In my opinion....I have actually lost respect for the city of New York for rebuilding at ground zero...the city to me would never be the same..All the individuals associated with the rebuilding project should be ashamed of themselves really..
runwaydiva no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center