daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM   #6601
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Should the deaths of a few thousand people get in the way of commerce and stifle the building of more towers on land that arguably the most expensive in New York City?

Don't take offence to this , I'm playing Devil's advocate so I ca read other people's opinions on the matter. And please, don't use the hammer smiley thing, it's stupid.
I don't think it's just the thousands of deaths, it's also the enormity of what happened at the site. Two of the world's largest buildings were destroyed by commercial airliners and no one could do anything to stop it. It was surreal. People need a way to cope and hopefully the memorial can offer that not only to the families of those who died but to everyone else who witnessed it in person and on live television.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #6602
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

The attacks were basically an act of war. So essentially, the WTC site is a battlefield. Just as we have memorialized places like Gettysburg and Manassas, we should do no less here. It should have nothing to do with dollars and cents. If we thought that way, Gettysburg would be a subdivision now.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #6603
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Should the deaths of a few thousand people get in the way of commerce and stifle the building of more towers on land that arguably the most expensive in New York City?

Don't take offence to this , I'm playing Devil's advocate so I ca read other people's opinions on the matter. And please, don't use the hammer smiley thing, it's stupid.

A little extra park here and extra park there, what is there to lose? A nice break from the canyonlands that is downtown Manhattan- what is there to lose? Moving offices across the Hudson- what is there to lose? After the twins were reduced to embers- the "most expensive property" did not bring the rest of the world down, or did it? So what's the fuss now?
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6604
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Over 75% of the old WTC superblock is being redeveloped into new towers. Only the immediate area where the Twins stood is becoming a memorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwaydiva View Post
In my opinion....I have actually lost respect for the city of New York for rebuilding at ground zero...the city to me would never be the same..All the individuals associated with the rebuilding project should be ashamed of themselves really..
There's a completely irrational way to proceed.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM   #6605
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28311

From Flickr:

november 18th
image hosted on flickr

november 20th
image hosted on flickr
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM   #6606
cornish pasty

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
The attacks were basically an act of war. So essentially, the WTC site is a battlefield. Just as we have memorialized places like Gettysburg and Manassas, we should do no less here. It should have nothing to do with dollars and cents. If we thought that way, Gettysburg would be a subdivision now.
Thousands of people around the world die because of war every day. If every site of war was turned into a memorial, the entire planet would be one giant memorial.
cornish pasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6607
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

very true, but that's not what this thread is for....
nice find "Eric Offereins" i'm glad for Ny, even thou i have my opinions about it lol
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6608
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

OK Some people are getting OFF TOPIC again. People what part of staying on topic don't you guys understand. If you keep it up The Moderators will shut it down Again. Personally I do not want that to happen. Please stay on topic.
Thank you
Lance
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM   #6609
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241026

Nice pics
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM   #6610
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
In my opinion....I have actually lost respect for the city of New York for rebuilding at ground zero...the city to me would never be the same..All the individuals associated with the rebuilding project should be ashamed of themselves really..
I kinda agree with you it should have been rebuild it right now with an even better design.
It a shame and a failure that it takes so long but we have to look on the bright side, there is progress.
By the way don't get me wrong guys I still love the city.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM   #6611
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Exactly, September 11th 2001 was an act of War, so therefore this site should have a place to remember the dead. Just like the Pentagon and Pensylvannia. Im happy there will be several acres of memorial, cities need more open green space.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6612
MrColombia
Pereira's Star Child

Likes (Received): 207

Are people going to have to pay to enter the Memorial Park?

I hope not, thats making business in the memory of others!
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM   #6613
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrColombia View Post
Are people going to have to pay to enter the Memorial Park?

I hope not, thats making business in the memory of others!
no, thay already received donations for park
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM   #6614
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Al QAeda had declared war on the U.S. a decade earlier. That's what the Khobar Towers and African embassies bombings were- a declaration of war.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #6615
winstainforth

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
If you apply the same logic, then the whole of europe shouldn't have been rebuilt after WW2, including my home town of London

To get some perspective, 20,000 people died in the blitz on London, 50% of the city was badly damaged or completely destroyed and 1.5 million people were made homeless.

We rebuilt.

http://www.tubephotos.com/?goto=canary-wharf&thumbs=ok
winstainforth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6616
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

EXACTLY.

Runwaydiva's post made me cringe at the ignorance in their words. I could not have exemplified that better.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:37 AM   #6617
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

The construction progress on this tower is very slow...which is very unfortunate, because NYC definitely needs a new supertall on the WTC site to bring back the skyline of lower Manhattan to what it was before 9/11, and the FT is a worthily replacement for the WTC IMO.

I'm not quite confident that this tower even will be topped out by 2011, but it seems that a completion date of 2013, like it says on SSP (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=7788 ) , seems to be much more realistic...

And then , finally, the lower Manhattan skyline will look as great again as it did before, or even better (no offense, the WTC's where great towers, and icons of NYC, as well as of the US and skyscrapers generally, but architecturally they weren't the most beautiful buildings in NYC, though they where much better then many of the other international style buildings of the 70's).

Freedom tower rendering:

IMO this will become the best skyline that lower Manhattan and NYC ever had, even surpassing the pre-9/11 WTC skyline .
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM   #6618
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstainforth View Post
If you apply the same logic, then the whole of europe shouldn't have been rebuilt after WW2, including my home town of London

To get some perspective, 20,000 people died in the blitz on London, 50% of the city was badly damaged or completely destroyed and 1.5 million people were made homeless.

We rebuilt.

http://www.tubephotos.com/?goto=canary-wharf&thumbs=ok
There is a difference between a World War and being attacked out of the blue.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6619
Urbania
Urban Athiest

Likes (Received): 1166

so the people in London didn't suffer any less??
Urbania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:55 AM   #6620
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:

I loving using this thing it's funny as hell. There not alot of land left in manhattan this much is true. But NYC is more then brick and steel. the city's trying to be more user friendly. Going green is the best way of doing that. With so many other supertall project going on in the city, I'm alright with it.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center