daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #661
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I though someone said they are building over it. Anyway, I'm very excited. This is the world's tallest office building. All of the towers will look much better and sleeker than the Twins. I want to be the first person up on floor 102. I wonder if they'll charge a lot.

Something I just found:

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Ebola; April 16th, 2007 at 12:12 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #662
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I though someone said they are building over it. Anyway, I'm very excited. This is the world's tallest office building. All of the towers will look much better and sleeker than the Twins. I want to be the first person up on floor 102. I wonder if they'll charge a lot.

Something I just found:

When are they gonna put the crane into function, and what are they using it for?

rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #663
Ebola
BANNED

You ask too many questions. I think they will be using the crane asap, but I'm not sure for what. More beams do have to be erected. I hope another tower crane goes up soon.
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #664
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...410freedom.asp
Freedom Tower Questioned Amid Rising Costs

April 10, 2007

As work on the Freedom Tower’s foundations progresses, with an eye to vertical construction beginning next year, observers are expressing doubts over the project’s total price tag, which seems poised to rise at a faster rate than the building itself.

Earlier this year, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey officially authorized construction of the Skidmore Owings & Merrill-designed building, which forms the symbolic cornerstone of the rebuilt World Trade Center complex. The agency also approved the awarding of contracts worth nearly $500 million for continuing construction on the Freedom Tower’s foundations, which began last spring.

A press release stated that the contract amounts fall “within planned-for contingencies common to projects of this scale,” a roughly 4 percent margin. The building’s total price tag is currently set at $2.88 billion. But many observers believe that the final number will rise far higher.

Barry LePatner, Hon. AIA, a real estate attorney and construction cost expert, contends that the Freedom Tower’s initial bid numbers were virtually meaningless—unless construction companies agree to sign fixed-cost contracts, which seems unlikely. The problem, he explains, is that contractors often lowball their estimates to win projects and then file change orders and add other fees to make up the difference later.

Prominent real estate developers including Douglas Durst and Anthony Malkin have also criticized the project’s finances. Lower Manhattan has an oversupply of office space, they told The New York Times in February, and the Freedom Tower is struggling to attract commercial tenants aside from government agencies.

New York’s new governor, Eliot Spitzer, pledged his support to the Freedom Tower’s construction after taking office this winter—a symbolic but critical step. Even so, Spitzer as well as New Jersey governor Jon Corzine and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg have said that they are open to selling it to a private developer, which could presumably redesign it. The foundations under construction now, they note, can be used for buildings other than the Freedom Tower.

Other projects at the World Trade Center site face a similarly uncertain fate. The Port Authority admitted this winter that rising labor and materials costs have caused the PATH station, designed by Santiago Calatrava, to exceed its $2.2 billion budget by as much as $1.2 billion. The architect and agency are looking for ways to trim costs. These could include a redesign, although Calatrava has said he is committed to preserving his design’s signature elements.

In other World Trade Center news, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (LMDC) has released a revised General Project Plan for construction projects at the World Trade Center site, spelling out the responsibilities of various stakeholders. New York City and New York State jointly created this agency in 2001 to oversee rebuilding at Ground Zero.

The LMDC, in cooperation with the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, will build the 9/11 memorial and memorial museum. Another key player, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, will build the Freedom Tower, designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill, the PATH transit terminal designed by Santiago Calatrava, and sub-surface infrastructure for the whole site.

This revised plan was included in the LMDC’s “Final Report,” outlining its activity since 2001. Although the agency has largely closed its operations, allocating many of its duties to other agencies and private corporations, it continues to administer grants and supervise several downtown projects.

Kevin Lerner
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #665
rogerick1970
BANNED

Quote:
You ask too many questions. I think they will be using the crane asap, but I'm not sure for what. More beams do have to be erected. I hope another tower crane goes up soon.
Sorry, Im just trying to get a better understanding on the process of them building this skyscraper.
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #666
Ebola
BANNED

Don't be sorry. Can it, TalB, nothing's going to stop FT construction. I do hope some of those new supertalls in Midtown will be twin towers. New York really needs some mega twins (besides the TW Twins) and a twisting tower too.
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #667
rogerick1970
BANNED

Will they work tommorow since the weather is bad?
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #668
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
That may be right, but I'm not sure. I, too, would like to know exactly where this crane is positioned on the core and the size of the core.

i think the green aria are to small
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #669
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Originally Posted by Ebola
That may be right, but I'm not sure. I, too, would like to know exactly where this crane is positioned on the core and the size of the core.

vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #670
rogerick1970
BANNED

Didnt realize this tower would be so massive.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #671
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Something I just found:

I still think the spire looks awful, being that tall. They wanted it to reach a symbolic height of 1776, without caring about how crappy it will look. The tower should've been 50 meters higher, with no spire at all. THEN it would've been beautiful.

MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #672
Ebola
BANNED

Quit moaning. I guarantee you that the spire will be different in life. It's going to be lit up very well and will be able to change colors.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #673
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
Originally Posted by Ebola

that can't be the hole thing, it's to small
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #674
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
that can't be the hole thing, it's to small
I agree 100%...compare the layout to the Construction trailer to the left. The Trailer should be 40-50 feet long. That would make the "green" section about 60-80 feet. I believe the green section is the Core.Please keep in mind that each of the original twins were 200' x 200'.

eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #675
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Quit moaning. I guarantee you that the spire will be different in life. It's going to be lit up very well and will be able to change colors.
Moaning? I'm allowed to express my opinion just like you. I happen to think that they're taking this sentimental crap too far (roof height exactly the same height as the old WTC, spire that reaches 1776, etc) and it's hurting the design. If you don't agree with me - fine. But don't tell me to "quit moaning".

And the life ring looking thing at the base of the spire is ugly too.

MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #676
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

wow, finally a crane. the green area does look too small for the footprint itself. it could just be the core.

c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #677
-POLLUX-
Germany

Likes (Received): 9

the idea from up there seems to be too small...
I think the big beams still are part of the core and will be its border to the rest of the office-space.
the smaller beam down at the bottomn could be part of the outside-walls!
-in my imagination it could look like this:

-POLLUX- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #678
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I though someone said they are building over it. Anyway, I'm very excited. This is the world's tallest office building.
What the hell are you smoking because you might want to let the authorities know there's a new drug in town! WTC1 won't be the tallest office building in the world. Anyway, it's good to see that things are finally looking good and moving in the right direction for the WTC site.

mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #679
rogerick1970
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
I still think the spire looks awful, being that tall. They wanted it to reach a symbolic height of 1776, without caring about how crappy it will look. The tower should've been 50 meters higher, with no spire at all. THEN it would've been beautiful.
Why are you complaining. The heigh of the spire is preety much the same as the antenna on the original 1WTC. And a spire is a hell of alot better than an antenna.

By the way, looking at the webcam, the NW part of the core seems to be taking shape, which means that they may be erected a 2nd tower crane in a couple of weeks.

Old April 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #680
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 21

I took this from www.renewnyc.com:

image hosted on flickr

Taller & Taller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center