daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:17 AM   #6921
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Perhaps you should petition someone in charge to get that done. It probably wouldn't be that expensive.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #6922
Amel_Gorazde

Likes (Received): 3

wow there some real fast workers... this will never be done, its going sooo sloww
Amel_Gorazde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM   #6923
McGrupp34

Likes (Received): 1

Don't come in here with that BS attitude about how slow this project is when you most likely dont know shit about it... read the thread, and then reconsider your immature post...

PS: I like the idea of the silver band, and I agree that there is no reason for the pools to be smaller than the original footprints of the towers...

Last edited by McGrupp34; December 22nd, 2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo correction
McGrupp34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #6924
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240737

Interesting work RKOwens
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #6925
pedro_sousa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
i dont even think they should build a memorial...they should just fill the area with skyscrapers, that would be more usefull!
I completely disagree. The people that died and their families deserved to be remembered. But most importantly: it should be a symbol to the US remember of the "anonymous" people that died, because of terrorists attacks. The 9/11 victims were like soldiers that died in a war.
pedro_sousa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6926
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240737

I totally agree
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM   #6927
McGrupp34

While a block full of towers would be more "useful" (whatever that means in this context), it is shameful to even consider not building a memorial. Nearly 3000 totally innocent people died that day, and we just want to pretend it didn't happen. I don't think so. You cannot forget the past or pretend it didn't happen. The memorial I believe is more important than the replacement towers. New York has tons of office space as is, and while it is important for us to build new towers on the site as a way of moving forward as a country in the face of adversity, it would be completely tasteless for a memorial not to be built. And as stated above, New York could use some more green spaces.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6928
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro_sousa View Post
I completely disagree. The people that died and their families deserved to be remembered. But most importantly: it should be a symbol to the US remember of the "anonymous" people that died, because of terrorists attacks. The 9/11 victims were like soldiers that died in a war.
Count me in on that disagreement....no memorial? Whatya nuts? I am very happy they chose to build one of that scope and it's fitting that no tower will ever fill the 2 spaces again.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM   #6929
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, a HUGE column was just installed in the memorial, in the "great hall" part. It seems to extend all the way from the bedrock to street level, about 70 feet. That makes this the largest single column that has been installed at the World Trade Center site to date.

Anyone know when those two memorial beams which were available for public signing near Battery Park on September 10th and 11th will be installed?
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #6930
McGrupp34

pics?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM   #6931
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro_sousa View Post
I agree, but i feel like building two holes in the ground has no physical signifigance, it should be nice though. I doubt it will be families who are coming to the memorial; it is likely that tourists will take over the benches and plazas at the wtc.
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6932
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrupp34 View Post
pics?
look at the webcam: http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM   #6933
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
i dont even think they should build a memorial...they should just fill the area with skyscrapers, that would be more usefull!
Why don't people keep saying this. Even if I was thinking it, I would never say it. And it Manhattan their building skyscraper all over the place one little memorial shouldn't be that much of a problem. Next thing you'll be asking them to build in central park.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM   #6934
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Many say no memorial should be built at all...
Forgeting about the past, however difficult it maybe, is a crime against the future. Those who want to forget their mistakes and the responsibility which burdens them will have the same consequences with those that are the victimes of those mistakes and want to forget the results upon them: They are deemed to repeat the cycle. The point of this memorial isn't to be soothing, its to be a warning and shouldn't be overlooked.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM   #6935
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
Many say no memorial should be built at all...
Forgeting about the past, however difficult it maybe, is a crime against the future. Those who want to forget their mistakes and the responsibility which burdens them will have the same consequences with those that are the victimes of those mistakes and want to forget the results upon them: They are deemed to repeat the cycle. The point of this memorial isn't to be soothing, its to be a warning and shouldn't be overlooked.
I wish I could understand what you just wrote. But it's comes across as double talk. The victimes of 9/11 made no mistake and who's the memorial a warning to? The Middle-Easterner terrorists who may never see it or to us and the love ones of the victimes.

The memorial is being built. To let the people who died that day know they'll never be forgot and that they didn't die in vain.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM   #6936
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

what a way to go guys, this thread is gonna get closed if we don't stay on topic.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:39 AM   #6937
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I wish I could understand what you just wrote. But it's comes across as double talk. The victimes of 9/11 made no mistake and who's the memorial a warning to? The Middle-Easterner terrorists who may never see it or to us and the love ones of the victimes.

The memorial is being built. To let the people who died that day know they'll never be forgot and that they didn't die in vain.
The fact that you oversimplify such complex situations is one of those mistakes I was talking about. My remark targeted some spesific comments and because we agree I cannot understand your objection

The thread won't close because of some remarks, after all we always return back on topic,

,which since is the memoral site, that is not important to match physically the towers
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM   #6938
fish

Likes (Received):

I'm sure George Michael will sing his signature song, "Freedom" when the "Freedom Tower" opens.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6939
Macorules94
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 226

why dont they just rebuild the twin tower? they were way better in my opinion
Macorules94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM   #6940
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macorules94 View Post
why dont they just rebuild the twin tower? they were way better in my opinion
This never even occurred to me! No one has said it before... are you some kind of radical thinker?
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center