daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #6981
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

to make up for the time lost on this project would require workers to work probably 15 hours day until completion, I think they can't give them too much time off.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #6982
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I think there's been slight lift of form work on southern core. compared to yesterday the formwork rose slightly, but its interesting because they don't lift usually form works just 'SLIGHTLY' but all the way.
They might just try to work even slower.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #6983
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Already at work the day after Christmas?
A great building mentality indeed. Labour-pathos.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #6984
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

lots of things going on today after week and a half of crappy weather and holiday: concrete pour next to south core, they making progress in dismantling ramp again, plus other shit going on that I cant making out through camera.

p.s: we should start petition on putting 1 more earth camera on east or north side.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #6985
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
plus other shit going on that I cant making out through camera. p.s: we should start petition on putting 1 more earth camera on east or north side.
From what I can tell, a lot more steel has gone up today in the north pool. The north and east side of the central "hole" (which the water will fall into) is now defined, and the south side was defined already. Won't be long until we can see the full outline of at least one pool. There IS a webcam which overlooks the site from the west (from the World Financial Center) at rebuildgroundzero.com, which provides a much better view of the memorial and Towers 2-4 sites (its view of the Freedom Tower is kind of crappy though), but it's been down for the past few days.

By the way, on CNN yesterday there was a report about the memorial for Flight 93 in Shanksville where they said that they're now trying to have the memorial completed in time for the 10th anniversary (previously they said it wouldn't be completed in time). They only thing holding them up is that the landowner where the plane crashed at is being an unbelievable a$$hole and won't sell the land to the memorial planners for the asking price, and they're asking Bush to seize the land before he leaves office so they can build the memorial. With the Pentagon memorial already open, hopefully all three will be completed in time for the 10th anniversary, which is already long enough.

Last edited by RKOwens; December 29th, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #6986
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
From what I can tell, a lot more steel has gone up today in the north pool. The north and east side of the central "hole" (which the water will fall into) is now defined, and the south side was defined already. Won't be long until we can see the full outline of at least one pool. There IS a webcam which overlooks the site from the west (from the World Financial Center) at rebuildgroundzero.com, which provides a much better view of the memorial and Towers 2-4 sites (its view of the Freedom Tower is kind of crappy though), but it's been down for the past few days.
that camera sucks big time
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #6987
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
By the way, on CNN yesterday there was a report about the memorial for Flight 93 in Shanksville where they said that they're now trying to have the memorial completed in time for the 10th anniversary (previously they said it wouldn't be completed in time). They only thing holding them up is that the landowner where the plane crashed at is being an unbelievable a$$hole and won't sell the land to the memorial planners for the asking price, and they're asking Bush to seize the land before he leaves office so they can build the memorial.
how is the owner an *******?
the families of the people who died on board the airplane are *******s.
a hijacked plane goes down and suddenly the surviving family members feel compelled to take privately owned land and turn it into a 2,200 acre memorial.
if they dont get their way, they go crying to bush so that he can forcefully take the land away from the owners.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #6988
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Freedom Tower Taller than we've been told??

Hey everybody,

I have a friend who is a construction worker working at the Freedom Tower site.....and while I was home in NYC for Christmas, he told me that the Freedom Tower will be taller than 1776. Has anyone else heard this buzz?......
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #6989
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

@kingsdl76
How reliable is your friends source? Where exactly has he heard that from, or is that just a rumor? Because the 1776ft mark is a very important thing, which in my opinion is not a subject of change at all.

Nevertheless it would be great if the tower would reach even this mark without using an ugly spire. Hope dies last... but the foundations are already done.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #6990
Roel

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
a hijacked plane goes down and suddenly the surviving family members feel compelled to take privately owned land and turn it into a 2,200 acre memorial.
if they dont get their way, they go crying to bush so that he can forcefully take the land away from the owners.
Although I like to think of some people as *******s, I wouldn't refer to them as such, because even proclaimed *******s are people that need to be heard in order to be understood. I think the city government has done a fine job weighing out each party's rights. Silverstein got the right to rebuild approximately the equivalent amount of office/commercial space he lost on September 11. Families of those who lost loved ones that day wished that the foot prints of the trade center towers weren't going to be built on and they got their wish too.

Last edited by Roel; December 30th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Roel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6991
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Impressive construction Hope to come back to New York when they finish this building. New York's skyline is pretty strong, but WTC is missing there
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6992
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
By the way, on CNN yesterday there was a report about the memorial for Flight 93 in Shanksville where they said that they're now trying to have the memorial completed in time for the 10th anniversary (previously they said it wouldn't be completed in time). They only thing holding them up is that the landowner where the plane crashed at is being an unbelievable a$$hole and won't sell the land to the memorial planners for the asking price, and they're asking Bush to seize the land before he leaves office so they can build the memorial. With the Pentagon memorial already open, hopefully all three will be completed in time for the 10th anniversary, which is already long enough.
I don't see anything wrong with the owner asking whatever he wants to the property, it's his and he should be able to ask whatever he wants for it. The people wanting it don't have to pay if they don't want to. The government also shouldn't use its power to seize the land. Maybe an acre or two where the main of the plane ended up and an appropriate right of way but the amount of acreage being discussed is totally ridiculous. The owners certainly isn't an A$$hole as you suggest, rather the victims families are for wanting such a large piece of land. If they want this much land than we should have bulldozed all of Manhattan form appropriate memorial there!
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #6993
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
New York's skyline is pretty strong, but WTC is missing there
I feel the same indeed...
when Freedom Tower is complete the things in NYC wiil be much better
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #6994
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Concrete Pour

south west corner had concrete pour from yesterday 12:00AM to 5:00PM progress though, the current highest floor around the core is nearly done apart from the hidden floors behind the cores which are still quite far behind in height.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #6995
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Concrete Pour

south west corner had concrete pour from yesterday 12:00AM to 5:00PM progress though, the current highest floor around the core is nearly done apart from the hidden floors behind the cores which are still quite far behind in height.
its 12pm
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #6996
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

MY bad, its is indeed 12pm, cos I'm a human...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #6997
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

the progress is moving nicely.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6998
RKOwens

Quote:
Who said it would be 2,200 acres??? Where are you getting this info from? The "Bowl" (the main part of the memorial) from what I can tell by looking at it is maybe 10 acres. No visitor is going to explore a 2,200 acre memorial. That's 4 square miles.
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #6999
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
what are you doin ????

be careful what you say, even if its the truth sometimes.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7000
RKOwens

Philvia... I stand corrected. After looking further into the design of the memorial, they ARE intending to have it be 2,200 acres in size, which is... completely insane. Wow. I have no idea what they're thinking. The Pentagon memorial is 2 acres in size and the World Trade Center is about 6-8 acres in size. They have only themselves to blame. A more reasonably sized memorial could have begun construction years ago and be done.

I don't know what to say but, wow.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center