daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #7021
gayscraper

Likes (Received): 3

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/09/0...ealed.php?o=14
The link shows you a museum with a piece of the fassade after 9/11 as an exhibit.
I know we had this before, but wouldn't it be cool if there was this museum... so everyone could see how fassade looked like, without putting it around the pools.
(sorry for double posting )

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7022
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_2008 View Post
Being as it is 2009, what progress is likely to be made this year? Is it actually going to be rising properly or is it just goin to be another year of snail speed work on the basements and lobby levels?
By the end of the year the basement levels and the podium should be completed. Maybe they build some normal floors as well, but they'll only do that if you're a good boy and don't complain about their working speed
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM   #7023
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Working speed is fine by me.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:43 PM   #7024
wonwiin

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayscraper View Post
I know we had this before, but wouldn't it be cool if there was this museum... so everyone could see how fassade looked like, without putting it around the pools.
And so it will be.
wonwiin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7025
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

The exhibit showing WTC facade would become really popular. I would be really interested in touching actual WTC material, and I know a lot of other people too.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7026
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_2008 View Post
Being as it is 2009, what progress is likely to be made this year? Is it actually going to be rising properly or is it just goin to be another year of snail speed work on the basements and lobby levels?
According the "Major Milestones" chart on page 49 of Port Authority director Chris Ward's October report to Governor Paterson, we can expect the following in 2009:

First Quarter 2009:
The steel for the south mezzanine of the transportation hub will be completed, and the footings for the pavilion over the hub itself will be installed.
The rest of the ramp will be removed.
Construction on the West St.-side slurry wall for the Vehicle Security Center will begin.
Construction on the Fulton street deck by the Freedom Tower will begin.

Second Quarter 2009:
Excavation under Route 9A will begin to extend the East West Connector under the road.
The first phase of excavation and bracing for Greenwich Street will be complete.

Third Quarter 2009:
Platform Column Foundations will begin construction.
The Fulton Street slab will be available for access.
130 Liberty Street will have finally completed demolition.
The below grade concrete work on the Freedom Tower will be almost complete.

Fourth Quarter 2009:
Construction of underpass supercolumns for transit hub.
Completion of steel work for pavilion transfer structure at hub.
Erection of above-grade steel for Freedom Tower will begin -- this is when the tower starts really rising.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #7027
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

What's about other towers? What will we expect from them this year?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:56 AM   #7028
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

There's been some talk on this forum lately (and in the past) of the current WTC site design versus the proposed Twin Towers II design. I decided to compile a list of the top 7 reasons why the current design is far better than the Twin Towers II. (Why not top 10? I couldn't think of anymore signficant reasons, but feel free to add your own.) This analysis also does not consider WTC7 or WTC5, which would probably end up more or less the same regardless of how the main part of the site was built.

VS.

7.) The restoration of Greenwich Street and Fulton Street. In addition to streamlining traffic flow through downtown Manhattan, it also does a good job of defining and separating the memorial park from the rest of the site and gives greater roadside access to all buildings and the memorial.

6.) The PATH terminal’s above-ground oculus. In addition to its aesthetic contribution to the new site and to the victims (representing a bird in flight), it also provides a visible entrance to the third largest transportation hub in New York City and allows natural sunlight to flow through the below-ground concourse.

5.) Symbolic height representations. Although many would consider the increased height of the Twin Towers II as a plus, it wouldn’t provide a visual marker for visitors of the exact height of the original towers. The new Freedom Tower does this as well as a symbolic 1,776 foot spire height.

4.) Greater amount of office space. The Twin Towers II would have each been 120 stories, each 10 taller than the original towers. According to the official site, the three smaller buildings would be devoted entirely to trading floors, retail space, as well as an Opera House (all of which are included in the current plan), but no office space. The additional 20 floors of office space in the Twin Towers II would be about 865,000 square feet, for an overall total of about 9,265,000 square feet in the entire site, far inferior to the 10,170,000 square feet of office space in the current Towers 1-4.

3.) The current three smaller buildings (Towers 2-4) look better than the Twin Towers II’s three smaller buildings and give the site an overall “descending” spiral look in height, paying homage to the memorial.

2.) An overall building design which respects the original Twin Towers and the victims. Advocates of the Twin Towers II say that rebuilding the Twin Towers better pays respect to the original Twin Towers. I couldn’t disagree more. This would be like cloning a dead pet and then living with it like nothing happened, which would disrespect the fallen pet. The original Twin Towers are dead, and even if the same blueprints were used, they could never really be replaced. People need to accept it when a pet dies and get a new one, which they can learn to love. The new site plan will do this.

1.) Finally, and by far most importantly, a far better memorial that isn’t even in the same league as the monstrosity proposed in the Twin Towers II design, a design which would have been comprised almost exclusively of the original footprints of the towers and nothing but tightly compacted buildings surrounding them. The current memorial will have an entire park surrounding it, more trees, more benches, and a quite large above-ground portion of the museum.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7029
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

would you work at 80th floor of the new south tower or 96th floor of the new north tower? because I couldn't do that if you know what I mean.

A year of waiting to see freedom tower rise, we have to watch foundation developing for a whole year again...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7030
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

I prefer the 2nd design ( the one that is under construction that is ) more.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #7031
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

So, 2010 is when we will see it really rising. It will be an exciting year.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM   #7032
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

actually 'fouth quarter of 2009' to be fair...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7033
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
There's been some talk on this forum lately (and in the past) of the current WTC site design versus the proposed Twin Towers II design. I decided to compile a list of the top 7 reasons why the current design is far better than the Twin Towers II. (Why not top 10? I couldn't think of anymore signficant reasons, but feel free to add Your own.) This analysis also does not consider WTC7 or WTC5, which would probably end up more or less the same regardless of how the main part of the site was built.
Your top 7 "Reasons" are not the reasons but merely opinions. None of them are true reasons when rather points that support people who think the present plan is the best.

I could come up with just as many "Reasons" (or more) why the plan for rebuilding the twin towers was better but I'm not going to waste my time nor other people's time reading my opinions.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #7034
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Your top 7 "Reasons" are not the reasons but merely opinions.
That kind of goes without saying...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #7035
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

What is the exact current status of the freedom tower?
The floors, the core(s) etc.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7036
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

A picture says more than a 1000 words so here's a link to a HD webcam:
http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158

Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #7037
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Well I mean in numbers: height of the south/north core, the floors etc.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM   #7038
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
Well I mean in numbers: height of the south/north core, the floors etc.
The south core is exactly 28 feet above the floor of the lobby. The north core is way behind and I don't know the exact height. Some of the exterior columns are 15 feet above street level; most are still about 10 feet below street level. B3 is about 3/4ths of the way complete; B2 is about halfway complete; a few forms for the B1 level have been laid but no rebar or concrete poured; no work on lobby level. Does that help answer your question?

Personally, I haven't been paying much attention to the Freedom Tower or putting as much emotional investment into it, since I know that it's going to look pretty much the same until next October or so, when it reaches street level and then finally starts to shoot upward. Instead, I've been watching the progress on the memorial, which is progressing at a much faster rate. I intend to focus on the memorial until next October when the last piece of steel and decking for it will be complete, at which point I can began watching the Freedom Tower quickly rise.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM   #7039
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240670

I hope in 2009 to see a "great" progress in the tower... some floors for examble.
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7040
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Unfortunately we're only going to see basement floors finished for the next 9 months. I doubt even the south core rising very much either.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center