daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #7041
twister6284

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
The south core is exactly 28 feet above the floor of the lobby. The north core is way behind and I don't know the exact height. Some of the exterior columns are 15 feet above street level; most are still about 10 feet below street level. B3 is about 3/4ths of the way complete; B2 is about halfway complete; a few forms for the B1 level have been laid but no rebar or concrete poured; no work on lobby level. Does that help answer your question?
Nice. This kind of information is what I think should go in a SkyscraperCity Wiki for construction updates. (Check out http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post23068542 ... the project is still not back up since the last person replied to me in July. )

Nothing would be more satisfying than to compare the updated numbers (date, height, floors, % complete, core, perimeter beams, floors etc.) all in one look. Far better than having information buried deep inside threads and having to search for it. It will also reduce the number of people asking questions in the forums, since they can just go to the Wiki instead.

What do you all think? Is there anyone who can help fix the SkyscraperCity Wiki? Or shall one of us just start a new one somewhere else? As for the current Wiki, whether it will finally be back up sounds about as promising as the Chicago Spire....

Last edited by twister6284; January 3rd, 2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: accidentally left out [/quote] tag
twister6284 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7042
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

This vid is about how they designed the Freedom Tower with the computer software, quite interesting.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #7043
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

THAT IS MY PROFESSOR LOL
Mr Vandeezy!!
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #7044
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
This vid is about how they designed the Freedom Tower with the computer software, quite interesting.
Yeah, SOM uses Revit. It's actually pretty easy once you get out of the "AutoCAD" mode. I can't even imagine what they would do if they delved into a more advanced program rather than a practice based one. Although BIM seems to be the way of the very near future if more firms could afford it.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7045
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

The white arches on the south of the site are getting covered with the progressing roof on top. (a progress)

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #7046
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

The basements aren't going to be completed until October!? Why so long!?
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #7047
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_2008 View Post
The basements aren't going to be completed until October!? Why so long!?
Believe me, you're not the only one disappointed. We all are. There's nothing that can be done about it though. Probably the main reason is that the PATH trains run directly through one half of the building, and so work on that half of the building can only occur on weekends when the trains stop running.

Fortunately, Tower 4 (which is also under construction) doesn't have any trains running through it, so it won't be slowed down. In fact, it'll probably catch up with the Freedom Tower and be at street-level around the same time, around October.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #7048
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

"A German entrepreneur is applying for a federal trademark to use the Freedom Tower to market a line of condoms. His proposed slogan is “Freedom Tower: Make Love Not War.”

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-ge...tower-condoms/
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #7049
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

LOL
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #7050
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

This is Freedom?

German or not. It would be a complete slap in the face to all that has happened there and will come to be, now and in the future. I hope that those in Government would not seriously consider such an application. Right or wrong this is America where we have the freedom to express ourselves.
May God be with us

Toby
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #7051
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The PANYNJ is going to block the condom thing.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7052
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240870

Quote:

VS.
I had never seen that kind of rendering...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #7053
miau
ausgewachsene mörderkatze

Likes (Received): 5313

it's a nice marketing idea though
miau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7054
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

Good idea but I think this will remind people who lost there family with 9-11
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #7055
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
"A German entrepreneur is applying for a federal trademark to use the Freedom Tower to market a line of condoms. His proposed slogan is “Freedom Tower: Make Love Not War.”

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-ge...tower-condoms/
I would need a Burj Dubai one...

Quote:
I had never seen that kind of rendering...
That's because it's not official. It was a model made by a group of private citizens who want to rebuild the Twin Towers. It's hideous, though. Look at how small their memorial would be and how crowded their buildings would be. I thank god the PANYNJ never seriously considered it.

Last edited by RKOwens; January 5th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #7056
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Believe me, you're not the only one disappointed. We all are. There's nothing that can be done about it though. Probably the main reason is that the PATH trains run directly through one half of the building, and so work on that half of the building can only occur on weekends when the trains stop running.

Fortunately, Tower 4 (which is also under construction) doesn't have any trains running through it, so it won't be slowed down. In fact, it'll probably catch up with the Freedom Tower and be at street-level around the same time, around October.
Yeah but the construction is already on for more than 5 years and they haven't gone above street level yet . PATH or no PATH, it's taking them too long to construct it and as you said not all of the buildings have PATH running underneath them and their construction is standing or progressing extremely slowly as well.
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7057
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nongkhai_tong View Post
Good idea but I think this will remind people who lost there family with 9-11
Some how yes... it is reminds a lot the old WTC
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7058
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralis View Post
Yeah but the construction is already on for more than 5 years and they haven't gone above street level yet . PATH or no PATH, it's taking them too long to construct it and as you said not all of the buildings have PATH running underneath them and their construction is standing or progressing extremely slowly as well.
Let's be clear when we thrown around timeframes like five years... the physical construction has been proceeding for 2 years, 8 months. Work is proceeding above and below grade. In late summer, all work will be above grade.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #7059
RKOwens

Okay, folks, for years we've probably all been forming our own ideas about what should be built in the space adjacent to the Freedom Tower, the site for the planned Performing Arts Center - though, with construction for this unable to even start until 2015 or 2016, anything can happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a Performing Arts Center at the site, I just think that this location is one of the most valued pieces of real estate in the world, and having ONLY a Performing Arts Center on it isn't putting the site to its full potential. The current site plan already has the same amount of office space as the original complex, so an office building isn't needed. However, there is one thing that the original complex had which the current design is lacking, which should be built at this location: a hotel.

Hear me out. No one wants an enormously tall hotel (similar to the Millenium Hotel) competing for the eye-grasping attention of the Freedom Tower and blocking WTC7. The hotel I have in mind would be roughly the same height as the original Marriot Hotel (WTC3), and be the exact same length. Also, since hotels are required to be slender, this leaves a huge amount of space for there to be a Performing Arts Center connected to the building's base. Here's a site plan, along with some statistics below:

image hosted on flickr

*288 feet in height; 23 floors

*70 foot high base/podium, comprised of 4 levels of lobby space, retail space, cafes, and business meeting rooms (150,000 square feet total)

*900 rooms/suites spread over 18 floors

*Lowest room floor starts at 70 feet and majority of room floors angled away from street, providing greater safety from road-side threats

*Rooftop swimming pool, spa, health club, and jogging track (0.5 mile); all overlooking Memorial Park and the Hudson River

*Over 300 parking spots in 2 below-grade parking levels (B1 & B2)

*15,000 square foot, 3,000 seat Performing Arts Center; with 50 foot high ceiling.

*Spacious plaza with restored WTC “Sphere” at its center

Why am I posting this? To see what the opinions of you all are. If anyone else feels the same way that I do, that the site needs a hotel in addition to the Performing Arts Center, maybe I'll start a grassroots website calling for the Marriot Hotel (or at least some hotel) to be restored to the site... yes, similar to the Twin Towers II grassroots website, only not as hopeless and based on a bad idea to begin with. With 5.5 million visitors expected to visit the memorial each year, the World Trade Center complex needs a hotel right on its site, and it needs to restore the 850 prime location hotel rooms which were lost on 9/11.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #7060
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Let's be clear when we thrown around timeframes like five years... the physical construction has been proceeding for 2 years, 8 months. Work is proceeding above and below grade. In late summer, all work will be above grade.
If this was in Dubai it would be finished by now.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center