daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7061
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

In respons to RKOwens, I like the idea but the Path tracks are right under it so is it really possible to build?
I don't think that the developer of the site (Silverstein anyone) is in need for a hotel when 99 Church Street is finished.

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #7062
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
In respons to RKOwens, I like the idea but the Path tracks are right under it so is it really possible to build?
I don't think that the developer of the site (Silverstein anyone) is in need for a hotel when 99 Church Street is finished.
Of course it would be possible to build over the PATH tracks. The Freedom Tower is being built over the PATH tracks and it's much taller. Also, the original Marriott Hotel was built over the incoming PATH track anyway.

The original Marriott Hotel was not owned or leased by Larry Silverstein. He owned WTC7 and had the lease on WTC1, WTC2, and some parts of WTC4 and WTC5. He had nothing to do with the hotel, which was originally owned by the Port Authority and called the Vista Hotel, but then sold to the Marriott Corporation and was renamed to the Marriott Hotel. I think the Four Seasons Hotel will be a nice addition to downtown Manhattan, but there are already plenty of hotels throughout downtown. There needs to be a hotel as a part of the World Trade Center site, to replace what was lost.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #7063
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
Correct!

When 99 Church Street is complete, you will have a skyscraper hotel.

What more could you ask for?
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #7064
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

For those who are interested ( and for those who didn't know) here is a timeline for ground zero: ( Memorial. Freedom tower, and Transit Hub)

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/milestones.html

Quote:
f this was in Dubai it would be finished by now.
then do all of us a favor, don't come back in this thread

Last edited by webeagle12; January 6th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #7065
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
If this was in Dubai it would be finished by now.
it would also be made with half the quality. and we have labor laws that prevent near slave labor conditions for workers so things take longer here...
I mean look at how burj dubai, had problems with going up at a strait angle.
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #7066
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Correct!

When 99 Church Street is complete, you will have a skyscraper hotel.

What more could you ask for?
What more could I ask for? A hotel at the World Trade Center. Only rebuilding the World Trade Center SITE to its former glory replaces the World Trade Center. Who cares about a hotel being constructed elsewhere in New York City that isn't a part of the World Trade Center complex? That doesn't replace the former WTC3. I photographed the 99 Church Street (Four Seasons Hotel) construction site from the roof of WTC7 and am sure it'll be a fine hotel, but it's not the World Trade Center.

Also, just because the Four Seasons will be tall, that doesn't mean bigger (IE, more rooms). The Four Seasons may be about 3 times as tall as the Marriott Hotel, but it's only about 1/6th its footprint. Literally. So, the hotel will probably only be about half the SIZE (in rooms and square footage) of the Marriott Hotel. Besides, the original Marriott Hotel (and the one which could replace it) was much better than the Four Seasons. For one thing, the roof of the Marriott had a huge swimming pool, spa, tennis courts, gyms, and a running track going around the entire roof (which was actually enclosed). The roof of 99 Church Street is tiny with nothing like this planned for it.

Last edited by RKOwens; January 6th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #7067
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
If this was in Dubai it would be finished by now.
Quote:
it would also be made with half the quality. and we have labor laws that prevent near slave labor conditions for workers so things take longer here...
I mean look at how burj dubai, had problems with going up at a strait angle.
And it's not being built in the middle of the desert, but in the middle of one of the most dense areas of the earth (population wise).
Then we can add that unlike dubai, the construction of the building doesn't have unlimited vital space; it is rising on one of the hardest mantle of rocks (apparently people have forgotten the explosions needed to build the foundations). They are so many reasons I can add to these, just ask me and I will continue. If not, it is useless to repeat things that have already been told.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #7068
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Anyone who's still complaing about the speed is just ignorant of the project; I'm sure this includes 98% of the world and most New Yorkers too. Yes, it would be done by now if they stuck with the first plan, but the current plans are almost perfect for the WTC site while the old plans were bad for the WTC. It's mainly the train tracks and complexity and structure of the building itself that are keeping the Freedom Tower speed down, not the workers or government or economy.

Yes, the next six or seven months are likely going to seem VERY SLOW, so you might as well focus on WTC Tower 4 and the rest of the WTC some more. But after summer, the other half of the core by the tracks will catch up and it will be going very fast. It's not like I'm just pulling this timeline out of my ass; it's what the experts are saying, so just hold on till for a few more months. The concrete is also taking longer to cure for the below grade area. Overall on the entire site, progress will continue to pick up as well. The Freedom Tower is just a small part of the new WTC, but by the end of this year, it will begin its ascent into the skyline. We'll be more focused on the other towers too.

By the way, it seem like the ramp leading into the WTC site will be totally removed in another week or two, and steel erection for one of the memorial pools looks like it will be done soon.

Last edited by Ebola; January 6th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7069
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240661

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
...Why am I posting this? To see what the opinions of you all are. If anyone else feels the same way that I do, that the site needs a hotel in addition to the Performing Arts Center, maybe I'll start a grassroots website calling for the Marriot Hotel (or at least some hotel) to be restored to the site... yes, similar to the Twin Towers II grassroots website, only not as hopeless and based on a bad idea to begin with. With 5.5 million visitors expected to visit the memorial each year, the World Trade Center complex needs a hotel right on its site, and it needs to restore the 850 prime location hotel rooms which were lost on 9/11.
The site it needs a hotel indeed... its the first time to read/heard about that, since 9/11.
I am afraid that in WTC plans hotel does not existed... let's see if that changes...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #7070
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

formwork of the south-core has risen finally . you guys probably saw it already...but i was in holiday for a few days
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #7071
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

cheers, I stopped looking at the webcam few days ago knowing progress isn't gonna take place for months. But the south core must be well visible now from the street level.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #7072
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
formwork of the south-core has risen finally . you guys probably saw it already...but i was in holiday for a few days
Sadly, it hasn't risen. It just looks that way because a part of the walkway (for construction workers) facing the camera was removed, but the formwork itself hasn't risen.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7073
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

It doesn't need a hotel there are already several hotels in and around the site. So there is no need to add another hotel plus for New York right now the demand isnt there and since this is within the vicinity of hotels in the LES and SOHO it seems alright to say that the way the structure is being built it is okay to be without a hotel.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #7074
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

this is much better than the first
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7075
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240661

It much much better indeed
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #7076
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Some will think it's better, some will think it's not. Everyone has their own opinion. My opinions the memorial park that is going to be built is far too structured, it either needs to be a peaceful relaxing place or something akin to the proposal was just had a symbolic representation of the two former building. All we're getting now is rows of trees set in concrete which just takes up valuable space. Submit reply
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7077
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Let's be clear when we thrown around timeframes like five years... the physical construction has been proceeding for 2 years, 8 months. Work is proceeding above and below grade. In late summer, all work will be above grade.
Still it's taking them too long.
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #7078
Roel

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorhoge View Post
It doesn't need a hotel there are already several hotels in and around the site. So there is no need to add another hotel plus for New York right now the demand isnt there and since this is within the vicinity of hotels in the LES and SOHO it seems alright to say that the way the structure is being built it is okay to be without a hotel.
Saying that the site doesn't need a hotel BECAUSE there are so many other hotels in the area, is complete nonsense. It's like saying that the site doesn't need any office towers either, because there is so much office space available. I'm not saying you're wrong, just provide the research that proves your point!
Roel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #7079
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Maybe they'll consider a hotel inside of WTC Tower 5.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7080
HendrX

Likes (Received): 29

In NY there's much more expierence in building skyscrapers in comparison with Dubai, so work should go faster. Don't forget the bedrock is an advantage for the foundation. Ask Chicago.
HendrX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center