daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #7121
deez

Likes (Received): 2

They should give everyone on these forums a private, exclusive, unrestricted
tour of this building once it's all finished. There has to be some sort of reward for coming to this site everyday for years and years on end for it still to be pretty much stagnant at ground level. Something. Maybe a T-shirt that says, 'For 7 years I watched every beam installed on this tower and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.'
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #7122
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

LOL, like the PANYNJ will give away anything that's free in the first place. I bet they'll be charging at least 30 bucks per person to go to floors 101 and 102.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #7123
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Really? Are you all ignorant? If glancing at this thread for 2-3 minutes for pictures or updates really impacts your life that much, either don't look or shut up. No amount of b*tching in this forum is going to change the fact that construction is ongoing, obstacles are in the way, this is a complex site and workers can only do so much at a time. You don't deserve a t-shirt. (I'm done now).
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #7124
fish

Likes (Received):

This is the biggest construction mega-site on the planet, so expect this will take time.

I recall reading somewhere that Mayor Bloomberg getting upset that development was taking too long.

Construction is a very slow process.

Typing your comments about it won't speed up the development.

I can see it now, a skyscraper fan manages to secure an emergency meeting with the site supervisor.
Skyscraperfan: Sir, I have disturbing news.

Site Supervisor: What is it?

Skyscraperfan: Our loyal fans from Skyscraper City are typing comments I think you should read.

Site Supervisor: Oh, I see that they are not happy with the progress we have made.

Skyscraperfan: I would like to post a comment, what shall I say?

Site Supervisor: Tell them we will double our efforts - immediately!
So, the site supervisor calls a meeting with every construction worker on the site and informs them that the fans on Skyscraper City are crying that construction is taking too long.

Suddenly, everyone looks at each other (like it's not their fault).

So, the site supervisor asks everyone to double their efforts.

The response?

They all chant, "YES WE CAN !!"

Old January 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #7125
Ebola
BANNED

[IMG]http://i40.************/rs7jo9.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #7126
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Sure so everybody barack obama. Only problem is millions of american want be voting, on how fast this project will be moving. I was 17 when the tower went down. And I'll be damn near 30 when the new ones go up. I've been waiting this long, there's no reason why I can't wait a little longer.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #7127
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
This is the biggest construction mega-site on the planet,
Wait, what?
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #7128
deez

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
Really? Are you all ignorant? If glancing at this thread for 2-3 minutes for pictures or updates really impacts your life that much, either don't look or shut up. No amount of b*tching in this forum is going to change the fact that construction is ongoing, obstacles are in the way, this is a complex site and workers can only do so much at a time. You don't deserve a t-shirt. (I'm done now).
The whole debacle is ignorant. A cornerstone laid almost 5 years ago is ignorant. I know the comments about progress pace are redundant, but hey,
such is the way. When actual concrete progress is absent or slow, people have nothing to talk about, soooo, no t-shirt for you.

The optimism and defensive nature of the progress on this site is amazing. I think you're all getting checks from the PA. ha!
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #7129
Ebola
BANNED

Not me.

By the way, there is no lack of progress. The building is on schedule. What people moan about is the speed the master schedule dictates while they mistake it for a lack of progress. Yes, the schedule changed twice, but that doesn't mean it will change again because in the past there were a lot of problems and major redesigns. I never understood the point of the cornerstone... from what I've heard, it's not even a part of the tower, and why would they place it well below grade? I guess it was supposed to be symbolic, but they didn't have to place it on the FT plot itself. I wonder where it is today.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #7130
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

It's obvious to me that DinoVabec, buildmilehightower, and Ebola are all correct. It could not be said more plainly that this is a huge site and it is currently very cold in New York. It is hard to work quickly and efficiently in old established cities with traffic...miles of 'red-tape' and bureaucracy.

It is also possible that building a skyscraper is not as easy as it used to be. At least not in New York. The Empire State Building went up in what? two years? And that was during the Great Depression, 80 years ago! Though it was like an erector set more or less.

Like everyone else, I still can't believe this tower has really taken this long to get to where it is.

Last edited by TowerJunkie; January 13th, 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Misplaced modifier
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #7131
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
[IMG]http://i40.************/rs7jo9.jpg[/IMG]
So that's where Obama got his slogan from.

(Sorry for OT)
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7132
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241031

Quote:
This is the biggest construction mega-site on the planet, so expect this will take time.

I recall reading somewhere that Mayor Bloomberg getting upset that development was taking too long.

I can see it now, a skyscraper fan manages to secure an emergency meeting with the site supervisor.

Skyscraperfan: Our loyal fans from Skyscraper City are typing comments I think you should read.

Site Supervisor: Oh, I see that they are not happy with the progress we have made.

So, the site supervisor calls a meeting with every construction worker on the site and informs them that the fans on Skyscraper City are crying that construction is taking too long.

The response?

christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7133
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerJunkie View Post
It's obvious to me that DinoVabec, buildmilehightower, and Ebola are all correct. It could not be said more plainly that this is a huge site and it is currently very cold in New York. It is hard to work quickly and efficiently in old established cities with traffic...miles of 'red-tape' and bureaucracy.

It is also possible that building a skyscraper is not as easy as it used to be. At least not in New York. The Empire State Building went up in what? two years? And that was during the Great Depression, 80 years ago! Though it was like an erector set more or less.

Like everyone else, I still can't believe this tower has really taken this long to get to where it is.
Yep...It's easy to sit in the warm house and type "The progress is so slow"...But there workers workin' 0-24(?) hard works on the cold weather, snow, wind, etc...

So, people should think before they post such a thing...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #7134
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Yeah. It is like five minutes is too long for children. It is seem like same thing with some SSC members on here.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #7135
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:

The response?

Maybe they are all waiting for it to be official. After 20th everyone will take it up a notch

You know what, you give a good idea. I got some italian-american friends, give'm a ring to talk with the local unions and "forget about it""its done" we'll have libertà torre in no time I mean freedom tower, I'll remind him not to change the name. Capisci,

Salute

Last edited by AvanGard; January 13th, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #7136
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28321

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #7137
fish

Likes (Received):

Yeh, we just need real leadership!
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7138
Ebola
BANNED

I'd rather have the city under the influence of the Italian Mafia.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #7139
pichuneke
Tómame en serio y verás..

Likes (Received): 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'd rather have the city under the influence of the Italian Mafia.
I believe you have the Freedom Tower under the influence of the italian Mafia...

I copy this comment from here:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/u...hrono;start=10

Quote:
Gamorra is Italian cinema at it's best. Outstanding. Hollywood would have destroyed this film had it been made there. The acting is first rate - the cinematography as real as it gets, and the film never shows the outside world - just what's happening in Naples. The guy who wrote the book is under police protection, and these gangsters have been shockingly linked to involvement in the World Trade Center rebuilding project!
It's not really a spoiler, but I reveal you a shocking sentence at the end of the film Gomorra, after it ends. Anyway it's a film you must see.

And forgive my english, I am spanish (not italian, capisci?)

La fé no mueve montañas. Para eso están las voladuras.
pichuneke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #7140
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

IMDB comments. Truly the best source for factual information.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center