daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #7521
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Damn your right, I left it on the other line for 2 years.
I forgot how to switch over on my phone.

On another note. Lets see if we can get a race started, when some of these other towers start coming out of the floor.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #7522
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Finally! I am so excited to see this tower rise, and hopefully fill at leats a bit of the gap that the twins left on the NY skyline!
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #7523
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

[IMG]http://i44.************/xlz9qu.jpg[/IMG]

From 2 weeks ago:

The memorial has flown up...

Last edited by BrooklynNYC; February 11th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #7524
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Well compared to the rest of ground zero, the memorial is being build quickly.
But I still think that it could go much faster.
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7525
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241007

Memorial construction was/is fast indeed
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #7526
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

A NYTimes article posted today on wtc.com refers to the fact that the memorial pools won't be the full 208'x208' dimensions of the original tower footprints, but interestingly it says that the trees surrounding the pools will form a grove around the pools 208'x208'. If true, I think this would be an awesome solution to the frustrating inaccuracy with the pool dimensions. The trees lining the pools could be akin to the tree columns that outlined the footprints of the towers, branching off about 40-50 feet up (the trees themselves would also start branching off at a similar height), like so...

This would also provide about 5-10 feet between the trees and the pools (I've heard conflicting reports of how wide the inaccuracy will be) so that visitors can walk "inside" the original footprints of the towers, if only slightly. Heck, it'd also provide a little something for the people who wanted tree columns to outline the original footprints. Now, if they painted the floor of the plaza silver or some other color, or put a stainless steel band in the plaza, running the full perimeter of the tree outlines, that would be perfect. In fact it might even be better than if the pools marked the exact outlines.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7527
RKOwens

Wow, you guys want to know the definition of timely as f***? Get a load of this. Almost a year ago, I emailed WTC photographer Joe Woolhead asking him if he knew the dimensions of the memorial pools. He said he didn't know, but would ask one of the guys at the site. A few months later, I met him in New York City and asked him if he'd ever found out by any chance, and he still hadn't. I talked to him on the phone about a week ago, and he still didn't know but said he'd ask. A few minutes ago, I posted the message above. Immediately afterwards, I checked my email and saw this message from Joe. You won't believe it...

"Ryan,

Hope you're well. So, finally, spoke to one of the principal designers of the Memorial Plaza and he threw some figures at me. The smaller inner square will be 40', the larger inner square will be 176', followed by an 8' foot wall making the outer square 192'. Also, from tree to tree, across the Plaza (as in the first line of trees next to the outer square) the measurement is 210'. Hope this is helpful to you. Will be in touch.

Yours,
Joe"

Weird, huh? I had never even heard of the tree outline idea, then just a few minutes after I post about how it would be a cool idea, I find out that it is indeed being put into place. Awesome.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #7528
wap-190

Likes (Received): 54

they removed the protection foil from the north core, maybe there's finally going to be a concrete pour ...
wap-190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #7529
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Weird, huh? I had never even heard of the tree outline idea, then just a few minutes after I post about how it would be a cool idea, I find out that it is indeed being put into place. Awesome.
The Port Authority works in mysterious ways.
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #7530
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by wap-190 View Post
they removed the protection foil from the north core, maybe there's finally going to be a concrete pour ...
could be possible....lets hope the best
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #7531
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

I drew this up about 6 months ago, it's based on the actual prints for the Memorial. The overall outside dimension is 198 feet, not 200 feet as the sketch states nor is it 192 feet. .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/...26f3af.jpg?v=0

Last edited by Zensteeldude; February 12th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #7532
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Core rise seems imminent.

Work on memorial site 2 is progressing nicely.

The construction is really picking up the pace.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #7533
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by wap-190 View Post
This next floor jump should bring the north core up to street level.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #7534
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

If by "street level" you mean B2 then yes, the next "jump" well bring it to "street level".

Come on, the climbing form hasn't even been placed on the northwest quadrant of the core yet.

PS: the height of the forms has nothing to do with floors or floor height or floor location.

<puts the prints away and heads off to watch Lost.>
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7535
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
If by "street level" you mean B2 then yes, the next "jump" well bring it to "street level".

Come on, the climbing form hasn't even been placed on the northwest quadrant of the core yet.

PS: the height of the forms has nothing to do with floors or floor height or floor location.

<puts the prints away and heads off to watch Lost.>
Speaking of forms ... and prints ... : Why are they using that kind of form work panels? They shurely could have been using something more 'up to date' that allow for a faster construction times and less possibilities of human errors.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #7536
texdago
BANNED

Sorry guys, can't find the WT2 and WTC3. I guess they are on hold. Anybody can help me with the link?
texdago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7537
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I drew this up about 6 months ago, it's based on the actual prints for the Memorial. The overall outside dimension is 198 feet, not 200 feet as the sketch states nor is it 192 feet. .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/...26f3af.jpg?v=0
I remember seeing this sketch and this is what I meant by I've heard conflicting reports as to the exact dimensions. One thing that stands out immediately is that your sketches and what this designer says both agree that the inner square will be 176' by 176' (give or take an inch). The only difference is that your sketches show the parapet as 10' 11" wide, while this designer says it will be 8 feet wide. If 10' 11" (times two) were added to the 176 feet, it would be about 198 feet wide. If the parapet were 8 feet wide, it would create a total of 192' by 192'.

From photos taken of the portions of the North Tower pool already constructed, we can see with a pretty good estimate that the inner square is about 16 feet inward from the center of the perimeter columns. That's 207' 8" minus 32 feet, or about 176 feet. There's no question that the inner square is going to be 176 feet, there's just some conflicting reports as to the width of the parapets. It's possible that the width of it has changed in the time since the sketches you have were created. Either way, I'm happy with the design. 198' is closer to the original dimensions, but a parapet only 8 feet wide means that visitors will have a clearer view of the pools.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #7538
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdago View Post
Sorry guys, can't find the WT2 and WTC3. I guess they are on hold. Anybody can help me with the link?
they're not on hold. and the threads are in the proposed supertalls section
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7539
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

image hosted on flickr
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7540
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241007

Rising, rising (finally)
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center