daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7701
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I can really see the natural selection taking place over the years there.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM   #7702
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I can really see the natural selection taking place over the years there.
You are sure correct in that statement. The natural selection process got rid of a architecturally interesting dramatic design in favor of a politically influenced box with a spike on top! I don't see how anyone can say that the final design is more striking than any of the other proposals. It may be more secure but it's certainly not more beautiful.
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM   #7703
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I still like the original design... I hope someday the original design will get built somewhere in New York City.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM   #7704
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You are sure correct in that statement. The natural selection process got rid of a architecturally interesting dramatic design in favor of a politically influenced box with a spike on top! I don't see how anyone can say that the final design is more striking than any of the other proposals. It may be more secure but it's certainly not more beautiful.
"Striking" in and of itself is not necessarily a good thing. The earlier designs were more dramatic, but they were an absolute disaster in terms of fitting into the cityscape. I think the current design is far more graceful and beautiful. It also has the added advantage of visually referencing the original towers, while the unique opposing triangles adds a new visual element. Not to mention the other towers at the WTC are much more interesting in the current design than they were in the original design.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #7705
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I still like the original design... I hope someday the original design will get built somewhere in New York City.
When that happen I'll be sure to boycott, Now I wouldn't mind seeing a building similar to the original twin tower built somewhere else in NYC
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:31 AM   #7706
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

the first design was ******* hideous, and most will agree.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM   #7707
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
"Striking" in and of itself is not necessarily a good thing. The earlier designs were more dramatic, but they were an absolute disaster in terms of fitting into the cityscape. I think the current design is far more graceful and beautiful. It also has the added advantage of visually referencing the original towers, while the unique opposing triangles adds a new visual element. Not to mention the other towers at the WTC are much more interesting in the current design than they were in the original design.
One of the major goals of any building, especially a supertall is to be recognized for its designed. And the normal means of doing this is through innovative design. The building that is being built now will only be recognized because of its history and name, not because of its design. Similar designs (fortunately without the spike on top) can be found elsewhere so the building itself is definitely nothing special.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM   #7708
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

I'm all for innovation in design, but the original FT was innovative for innovation's sake, and it was god-awful
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM   #7709
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

I was schooled in the Frank Lloyd Wright way of thinking in that form follows function. The function of Tower One is that of an office building and I think the final design reflects that. The early designs were just a bunch of junk stuck on top of a too-short office building. Also notice that the final design places the observation deck and restaurant far higher up than the early designs.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #7710
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Designs #3 and #4 were hideous, the huge amount of wasted space is just unconscionable. The final design isn't too bad, I actually think it is better than #1. But #2 was the best imo, however the spire is just a little bit too tall. Seems like the politicians wanted the most interior space to be developed, and the final design provided them with what they wanted. Better than a plain box, but they still could have went much better.
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7711
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I just read an article about how the Freedom Tower will have the fastest elevators on this side of the world.

Anyway, I sent a message to the PANYNJ because I was concerned about Towers 2 and 3. They answered me:

"Please be assured that the entire WTC site as designed within the Master Plan created by Daniel Libeskind will be realized. Not building towers 2 and 3 is not an option."

But I had to lol because it's hardly Dan's master plan anymore.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #7712
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I just read an article about how the Freedom Tower will have the fastest elevators on this side of the world.

Anyway, I sent a message to the PANYNJ because I was concerned about Towers 2 and 3. They answered me:

"Please be assured that the entire WTC site as designed within the Master Plan created by Daniel Libeskind will be realized. Not building towers 2 and 3 is not an option."

But I had to lol because it's hardly Dan's master plan anymore.
haha you're right. I always here architects saying "we incorporated elements of the original design into the current design." I'm like "BITCH WHAT ELEMENTS I DON'T SEE ANYTHING"
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM   #7713
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

unless I see official word from Dan, this "not building" tower 2 and 3 are bunch of BS. The whole site is more than just bunch of buildings!!!

although both cameras still down I can assure people don't miss much because of snow storm in the area. ( I'll get piece of it too )
webeagle12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #7714
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

It's still annoying that the cameras are down.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #7715
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

some cameras are still up

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7716
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

our main earthcam is working again ...lots of snow on the site now
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7717
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I was schooled in the Frank Lloyd Wright way of thinking in that form follows function. The function of Tower One is that of an office building and I think the final design reflects that. The early designs were just a bunch of junk stuck on top of a too-short office building. Also notice that the final design places the observation deck and restaurant far higher up than the early designs.
Very well said Zen. I think some people are concerned that the final design is too conservative, and the overall appearance might be banal ... just not "innovative" enough or lacking "oomph". I disagree with such a view, there is something to be said for classic simplicity.

I really do believe that a lot of the "glitzy" skyscrapers being built right now in places like Las Vegas, Dubai, and Panama City are going to look extremely tacky 15 or 20 years from now.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7718
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240815

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
our main earthcam is working again ...lots of snow on the site now
Lots of snow and really cold (21 F) from EarthCam:
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7719
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
Very well said Zen. I think some people are concerned that the final design is too conservative, and the overall appearance might be banal ... just not "innovative" enough or lacking "oomph". I disagree with such a view, there is something to be said for classic simplicity.

I really do believe that a lot of the "glitzy" skyscrapers being built right now in places like Las Vegas, Dubai, and Panama City are going to look extremely tacky 15 or 20 years from now.
Agreed. The original Twin Towers were beautiful because of their simplicity. But, if you did like the design of the original Freedom Tower, then you at least have Tower 3 to look forward to, which I think carries on a bit of the original Freedom Tower design with columns at all sorts of weird angles.

RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #7720
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I was out of town well I was back in brooklyn so it really wasn't out of town. I'm a little behind are they talking abot no building towers 2 and 3?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center